2006/04/04 15:38:43 (permalink)

Interesting Controllers

http://infusionsystems.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/110

This stuff looks fun... slightly pricey though

21 Replies Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Interesting Controllers 2006/04/04 18:21:30 (permalink)
    Awesome, lets talk about alternative controllers!
    OK. For just a *few* dollars more, you get all this:

Tax and title extra. Some assembly required. Model not included.
    lost sheep
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: Interesting Controllers 2006/04/04 19:34:40 (permalink)
    Oooh here's one for DA...

http://www.midigun.com/midiGunchart.htm
    lost sheep
    RE: Interesting Controllers 2006/04/04 19:36:56 (permalink)
    You should check out the P5 Glove

It doesn't look very comfortable... can you still play the keys ok with it on?
    René
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Interesting Controllers 2006/04/05 10:31:14 (permalink)
    Chad and I had some great time trying the glove several months ago. While I couldn't really play air piano with it, I could make very cool and fresh effects with it. I wish more companies would expand the development of those.

-René
    b rock
    RE: Interesting Controllers 2006/04/06 09:47:52 (permalink)
    For the MIDI musician in a hurry, or those really tight stage accommodations at a club.
    Re-defines pitchbending for the doubled-jointed musician in your circle of friends.

And just in case you ever have a call for data transport while opening a can of tunafish, there's this handy little item:

Not recommended for use during air travel. Designed by Norm Abrams in partnership with Bill Gates.
    JazzSinger
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 895
    RE: Interesting Controllers 2006/04/07 07:05:04 (permalink)
    René
    RE: Interesting Controllers 2006/04/07 07:15:17 (permalink)
    I use the WX5 very often. While the keys aren't as good as they could be (as they were in the old WX7), it's freakinly cool. I have many MIDI Learn assignments, mostly in Rapture for lip and breath, it's cool to see the knobs moving in different directions and ranges when you breath

I tried the EWI4000S at the musikmesse show, and was not that impressed though. It's damn heavy, the pitch bend gizmo is a roller-wheels thing, I possibly couldn't find my way thru in those few minutes.

-René
    ucacjbs
    • Total Posts : 866
    RE: Interesting Controllers 2006/04/07 08:16:16 (permalink)
    I work in the field of computer vision, i.e. designing algorithms to help computers 'see' things, or interpret video streams. I had an idea once for a vision-based controller that would use a stereo pair (i.e. two cameras) together with gesture recognition to drive a synth or sequencer. The basic thing would be something like a vision-guided theremin; more sophisticated would be the 'virtual conductor', where you could stand there and conduct your own synthesized symphony. It's a little out-of-the-way of my usual work, so I never got an excuse to develop it, but there are folks at the MIT Media Lab, and similar places, who are also doing this kind of stuff. Kind of like the Gypsy, but without the wires.
    JazzSinger
    RE: Interesting Controllers 2006/04/07 08:22:23 (permalink)
    I use the WX5 very often. While the keys aren't as good as they could be (as they were in the old WX7)

I have the WX11 (baby WX7), too. The keys have a positive tactile point where they "take", about 3/4 down of full travel. I find this helps tell me the note is on it's way (slow attack!) and that I don't need to press any further.

The WX5 key switches are longer lasting, I'm told (WX7/11 were rubber; fatigues over the years), but the WX5 keys only switch on when in full travel, plus some pressure. And there is no tactile "click point" anymore.

I set up the key action to my taste using bits of board; the supplied shims were not differentiated enough. This helps some by reducing the travel.

I prefer the lip set to growl or squeal (on the V70m) rather than standard modulation, setting the wheel to modulation seems more natural to me. I switch CC channels using an old PMM88 midi patchbay.

I have many MIDI Learn assignments, mostly in Rapture for lip and breath, it's cool to see the knobs moving in different directions and ranges when you breath

Oh, no. René, you are an ace salesman... Now I GOTTA get Rap (in addition to DimPro, which I already have)

I tried the EWI4000S at the musikmesse show, and was not that impressed though. It's damn heavy, the pitch bend gizmo is a roller-wheels thing, I possibly couldn't find my way thru in those few minutes.

I am in the process of considering getting one. Difficult to find someone that has one and can give an objective opinion. Pros swear by it (well, the older 3020 really), calling the WX5 a toy. They feel they have more realistic control with the EWI. But there's a lot to get used to. Those rollers, for one, and the fact that the keys don't move; instead you have to keep in contact with one of two grounding plates to complete an electric circuit.

The EWI4000s has come down in price compared to what the older EWIs were so it's become tempting; but it's still not a cheap instrument.
    René
    RE: Interesting Controllers 2006/04/07 08:53:58 (permalink)
    I am in the process of considering getting one. Difficult to find someone that has one and can give an objective opinion. Pros swear by it (well, the older 3020 really), calling the WX5 a toy. They feel they have more realistic control with the EWI. But there's a lot to get used to. Those rollers, for one, and the fact that the keys don't move; instead you have to keep in contact with one of two grounding plates to complete an electric circuit.

The EWI4000s has come down in price compared to what the older EWIs were so it's become tempting; but it's still not a cheap instrument.

Definitely. The Akai booth was shared with Alesis (so it's not really selling), there was a guy playing the 4000 who was doing a nice job with it. Catched my eye that it was all wireless, which I don't have in the WX5 (I heard from some gizmos to mod it though).

As you said, as everyone who have listened to Brecker in Tokio, Mintzer live and the other very few exponents out there I can't let the EWIs die in my thoughts, even when my fingers didn't find the way thru. It must be a matter of time and persistence.

-René

JazzSinger
    RE: Interesting Controllers 2006/04/07 10:31:53 (permalink)
    Catched my eye that it was all wireless.

I have downloaded the manual from the Akai website.

As I understand it, the 4000 ISN'T wireless. It has a built-in analog modelling synth, complete with effects unit. This, plus the fact that it is battery powered, means you can connect it's audio out directly to a wireless transmitter. But that has to be provided by the owner; it's not built in. After listing these features, the manual goes on to say "...If you use a wireless system with it, you can play it without a cable."

The early sales literature made quite a thing of this; but the wording was such that many were misled into thinking the wireless was already part of the unit.

Definitely liberating, tho'. The WX5 cable looks pretty disgusting after the gob which dribbles out of the drain hole has run down it after a hard night's playing! I wonder if there is such a thing as a small MIDI wireless transmitter that one could tape to the WX5?

Edit:
    (so it's not really selling)
    According to what I have read in the Akai forum, they were always highly popular -- in Japan only.

everyone who have listened to ... the other very few exponents out there
    I saw a French JazzFusion group use one (old model) on stage. I was right up front pretty quick. But the sounds themselves were not realistic nor dramatic; nothing like what I can get from my WX5 + VL70m combination.

Edit2: Sorry to be tiresome! Just found this pic. You can just see what has to be a wireless transmitter on the lower bottom of the EWI4000s. Definitely not part of the unit. And now that I see it live for the first time - definitely a bulky instrument!

http://www.axetopia.com/news/06_01/AKAI_EWI_MIDI_WIND.html
    post edited by JazzSinger - 2006/04/07 10:55:42
    René
    RE: Interesting Controllers 2006/04/07 10:48:43 (permalink)
    As I understand it, the 4000 ISN'T wireless. It has a built-in analog modelling synth, complete with effects unit. This, plus the fact that it is battery powered, means you can connect it's audio out directly to a wireless transmitter. But that has to be provided by the owner; it's not built in.

That's correct, I didn't mean to indicate that. The guy was using a Samson wireless on the audio, and that's what captured my attention, as I previously thought it was a midi-only device.

Definitely liberating, tho'. The WX5 cable looks pretty disgusting after the gob which dribbles out of the drain hole has run down it after a hard night's playing! I wonder if there is such a thing as a small MIDI wireless transmitter that one could tape to the WX5?

http://www.patchmanmusic.com/MidiJetPro.html

-René
    JazzSinger
    RE: Interesting Controllers 2006/04/07 10:53:06 (permalink)
    Ha! Thanks for that link!
    DivarU
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 338
    RE: Interesting Controllers 2006/04/07 14:23:22 (permalink)
    There's a guy in the Netherlands who makes some weird midi controllers like this one

There are more at Bluezone
    Paradroid
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 454
    RE: Interesting Controllers 2006/04/07 17:31:24 (permalink)
    You should check out the P5 Glove

Aussie too, it's gotta be good.

Plus, if you thought my MIDI'ified Parker was for pansies, take a look at a REAL guitar (Tom Fryer actually manages to coax some pretty tasty music from this thing too! It ain't just a looker…)

For truly wonderful sounds from a truly weird controller, Leon Gruenbaum is still my favourite (check out Vernon Reid's solo records to hear Leon in action). His Samchillian Tip Tip Tip Cheeppeeeee is about as “DIY MIDI virtuouso” as you can get:

post edited by Paradroid - 2006/04/07 22:17:07
    JazzSinger
    RE: Interesting Controllers 2006/04/10 04:08:04 (permalink)
    I like the girls better than the controllers.
    lost sheep
    RE: Interesting Controllers 2006/04/15 07:51:53 (permalink)
    Anyone abusing one of these...Roland AX-7
    b rock
    RE: Interesting Controllers 2006/04/15 08:03:07 (permalink)
    Anyone abusing one of these...
    Not since Billy Preston.
    Actually, there are a few people using these. I keep thinking I want one, and then I pick it up. Awkward.
    dougsyo
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 209
    RE: Interesting Controllers 2006/04/15 09:41:16 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: lost sheep

Anyone abusing one of these...Roland AX-7

There's a Yamaha KX keytar being abused in clip in my sig.

Doug

Logic is a pretty flower that smells bad.
    For a good time click http://www.belindabedekovic.com/video_fl_en.htm
    lost sheep
    RE: Interesting Controllers 2006/04/15 12:12:18 (permalink)
    There's a Yamaha KX keytar being abused in clip in my sig.
    Yep, and I set out watching it for all the wrong reasons
    So why didn't she wear it as a strap on if you'll excuse the phrase, seems like it defeats the whole point of the thing if it's nailed to a mike stand I used to have a Roland SH101 with the mod attachment so you could wear it, which was fun at the time. So it's sort of half burned into my head that it would be fun to get the update... beats trying to find another keyboard stand
    dougsyo
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 209
    RE: Interesting Controllers 2006/04/15 16:18:41 (permalink)
    I think she wanted use to see "the fastest finger on the remote keyboard", and she wanted to "have some fun" with it too. I suspect that either a traditional (flat-laid) keyboard or a strapped-on KX would have not given her the same freedom.

On "other odd/interesting controllers", I have a Q-Chord here somewhere. I usually play it as-is, but it is capable of MIDI out - probably very different from a MIDI guitar. I can only imagine what a strummable Rapture would sound like , and so I may have to hook it up.

Doug

Logic is a pretty flower that smells bad.
    For a good time click http://www.belindabedekovic.com/video_fl_en.htm
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1