Dimension Pro (how many parts?)

Author
time4abreak
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 62
2006/04/06 11:29:33 (permalink)

Dimension Pro (how many parts?)

I'm looking at purchasing Dimension Pro, as it's configuration matches my needs. In reading through the info on the web, I can't be sure as to how many parts (instruments) will DP simultaneously support? In parts, I'm referring to how many MIDI channels can be routed from the host application? 1, 4, 16, more?

Thanks,

LC

4 Replies Related Threads

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Dimension Pro (how many parts?) 2006/04/06 12:56:37 (permalink)
    You can run more than one instance of Dimension - so as many instruments as you computer can handle.

As far as midi channels - there is a multi-timbral mode that assigns DP to channels 1-4. There are work arounds to this, I'm sure, such as freezing synths, but I've never used it.

hope this helps.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    b rock
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Dimension Pro (how many parts?) 2006/04/06 13:13:10 (permalink)
    There are work arounds to this
    If your host application supports re-direction of MIDI channel input (as Project5 does), you can have four instances spread over 16 MIDI channels. Beyond that, you move on up to Port isolation. As luck would have it, multisamples are loaded once into memory, and just referred to across Elements or multiple instances.

So you can get quite a bit of bang-for-your-buck from just a few Multisamples, and each Element can be processed individually for a completely unique output result. Very forgiving on the available resources.
    time4abreak
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 62
    RE: Dimension Pro (how many parts?) 2006/04/06 23:39:55 (permalink)
    Thanks AT and B rock for the information. The salesman at Guitar Center stated "that it would handle 16 channels like most VSTis". I had a feeling he was not real sure of his answer.

I'm running Sonar 5 on an IBM Dual 2.2 GB Xeon workstation with 2GB RAM. DP should work just fine in that configuration.

I've used Reason off and on over the last year and have considered another virtual instruments, but never wanted to venture too far into trying to figure out which one would work for me best. Between the sample player, virtual analog, wave table, and or other type of synthesis out there, it can get pretty confusing when trying to make a wise choise and not break the bank in the process. Sometimes I long for racks of hardware synths and tons of MIDI cables, when the VSTi's are not behaving correctly. I do keep a Motif rack on the shelf, in case I get frustrated with Reason.

Thanks again for the information and I guess I'm getting a little closer to the purchase.

LC
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Dimension Pro (how many parts?) 2006/04/07 01:19:33 (permalink)
    Yea, there are times I just want to hit record and start moving analog knobs. But then I remember that both the moog and the 8 track tape deck need to go to the shop.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1