tascam da 20 problems

Author
billyb
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 97
2006/04/06 21:24:11 (permalink)

tascam da 20 problems

hello all, i hope someone can help me with this. i have a tascam da 20 dat recorder that i want to use for band rehersals/live recording etc. , this last weekend we had a jam and i was going to record it with the da 20, i used a brand new tdk pro da-r90 tape and set the machine to record. i was getting a good strong signal on the meters and all seem good to go, however on playback it cuts in and out every 2-3 seconds , example; 1sec-signal,2sec-signal, 3sec-no signal, 4sec-signal etc. i've tried another tape with same results, also tested it with spdif/digital feed from my daw same thing. i've searched thru the manual and internet for solutions to no avail. what am i missing? please any of you who have any ideas let me know. thanks, bill

13 Replies Related Threads

ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: tascam da 20 problems 2006/04/06 22:43:25 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: billyb

hello all, i hope someone can help me with this. i have a tascam da 20 dat recorder that i want to use for band rehersals/live recording etc. , this last weekend we had a jam and i was going to record it with the da 20, i used a brand new tdk pro da-r90 tape and set the machine to record. i was getting a good strong signal on the meters and all seem good to go, however on playback it cuts in and out every 2-3 seconds , example; 1sec-signal,2sec-signal, 3sec-no signal, 4sec-signal etc. i've tried another tape with same results, also tested it with spdif/digital feed from my daw same thing. i've searched thru the manual and internet for solutions to no avail. what am i missing? please any of you who have any ideas let me know. thanks, bill

Do another test and make sure nothing is plugged into the spdif. If there is a sample rate swtich try both 44.1 and 48k. If you are trying to record the SPDIF in make sure the signal is either 44.1 / 16bit or 48k / 16bit... that's all DAT can do.
    billyb
    RE: tascam da 20 problems 2006/04/06 23:29:00 (permalink)
    thanks for the tip frank. but why would it act the same way while recording analog with nothing in the spdif? that is, i originally was attempting to record straight in with two mics. and as i mentioned before, it seemed to record for 2-3 seconds, then pause, then record 2=3 seconds, then pause, then record so on. this is really stumping me. but i do appreciate your input. bill
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: tascam da 20 problems 2006/04/07 11:06:34 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: billyb

thanks for the tip frank. but why would it act the same way while recording analog with nothing in the spdif? that is, i originally was attempting to record straight in with two mics. and as i mentioned before, it seemed to record for 2-3 seconds, then pause, then record 2=3 seconds, then pause, then record so on. this is really stumping me. but i do appreciate your input. bill

I've never seen one do that.. I have a DA-30 that is over 10 years old now and it's still working fine. Your machine could be going bad. The good news is you should be able to get another one off e-bay for next to nothing.
    calaverasgrandes
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1454
    RE: tascam da 20 problems 2006/04/07 12:05:07 (permalink)
    I've had a D20(which got stolen, on my 30th birthday) and now a Fostex D5 which is the same box with balanced in/out and optical instead of rca spidf. Maybe you are overloading it? Also make sure it is set to internal for clock, and analog for input. And always check your cables first , before you go crazy checking everything else. Might be an intermittent connction whic the bass guitar or some other low frequency is exacerabatng.
    good luck!

Sonar 7.0.3, Mattel Synsonics, Motu 828MKII (BLA), TC-powercore, Stillwell plugins, Moog MG1, Korg Poly 800, DX27s, Moogerfooger Lowpass, Ovation Magnum, Stingray fretless, Mesa Bass 400, Waldorf Edition, DBA fuzz war, Summit 2BA221, etc
    billyb
    RE: tascam da 20 problems 2006/04/08 02:15:26 (permalink)
    ohhey, i hear ya man i sure hope it's not the machine going down. i'm at a point in my band where i really need it for recording pre-production rehersals on our album we're working on. i guess i can try and score another on ebay if need be, but, my budget is pretty strained at the moment with the album and all. thanks again, bill
    billyb
    RE: tascam da 20 problems 2006/04/08 02:18:19 (permalink)
    thanks for your suggestions cal. i'm going to try all this weekend. hopefully i'm just overlooking one of the things you've mentioned. bill
    calaverasgrandes
    • Total Posts : 1454
    RE: tascam da 20 problems 2006/04/08 02:40:43 (permalink)
    I misspoke, what I meant to say now that I have gotten home and LOOKED at the front of the beast is that you want to make sure its set to analog input if you are feeding it analog, digital input, makes sure its correct sampling rate. Another common error I remember was when re-recording over old tapes, start IDs can fudge up the process by causing the deck to go into pause or at least hesitate.
    And then it could just be dirty heads, lord knows where to get a dat head cleaner tape?! Marketek.com maybe?
    post edited by calaverasgrandes - 2006/04/10 14:55:31

Sonar 7.0.3, Mattel Synsonics, Motu 828MKII (BLA), TC-powercore, Stillwell plugins, Moog MG1, Korg Poly 800, DX27s, Moogerfooger Lowpass, Ovation Magnum, Stingray fretless, Mesa Bass 400, Waldorf Edition, DBA fuzz war, Summit 2BA221, etc
    billyb
    RE: tascam da 20 problems 2006/04/09 23:48:42 (permalink)
    thanks again cal, i've tried most of the tips without much luck, but have found some dat head cleaning tapes on ebay i'm looking at. and after reflecting on this problem i have to say dirty heads make the most sense. i'll post my results once i get the head cleaner and give that a try. i sure hope that's the solution. anyway please let me know if you think or hear of any other possible fixes for this. have a good one, bill
    billyb
    RE: tascam da 20 problems 2006/05/08 13:29:30 (permalink)
    hi everyone, i'm still trying to solve this problem. but have learned a few things along the way. i've cleaned the heads with a pro cleaning tape, tried different tapes, have tried digital and analog recording, and found that the problem doesn't lie in recording but in playback instead. it seams that whatever signal i'm going into dat with gets recorded but upon playback there is the dropouts they start out about 4-6 secs into playback lasting 1-2 secs in duration, yet, as the tape plays the dropouts get more frequent to where finally theris no sound. you can rewind the tape a bit and start play and it will start this cycle again. i'm sure it's not on the recording end of it because the dropouts occur at different places i.e. one time the dropout will be at say 1:22 on tape but if you back up to 1:20 and play it the dropout won't occur till 1:25 or so, which means the recorded material is all there on the tape. if it wasn't you wouldn't be able to hear the part that had dropped out previously no matter where you started play from. so, i'm racking my brain for possible causes and solutions this situation, and would be ever grateful to any and all who could shed more light on this. because at the moment i'm truly stumped. thanks in advance. bill
    lazarous
    • Total Posts : 1461
    RE: tascam da 20 problems 2006/05/08 13:47:54 (permalink)
    one time the dropout will be at say 1:22 on tape but if you back up to 1:20 and play it the dropout won't occur till 1:25 or so, which means the recorded material is all there on the tape

Sure sounds like your playback head is going bad. Sorry...

Corey

Ath 64 3500+
    MSI K8N N2 Plat ATX 939 Mobo
    2Gb DDR2 400
    RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652
    UAD1 4.2
    WinXP Pro SP2
    Sonar 8.3PE
    New Henry and Buster episodes available!
    billyb
    RE: tascam da 20 problems 2006/05/11 18:49:36 (permalink)
    gee, i really hope not, but i appreciate your post. bill
    DonnyAir
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1201
    RE: tascam da 20 problems 2006/05/14 18:21:49 (permalink)
    Sure sounds like your playback head is going bad. Sorry...

Because you have seemingly exhausted all other possibilities, I'm inclined to agree.

The DA's all use a rotary head for playback and recording.

The problems could be occurring in different spots because when the tape is loaded and engaged against the drum, it won't necessarily land on the same spot on the head. If it were a faulty tape, this is where you would find the glitches at the same spot everytime.

Based on your description, and experience with other R-DAT machines I've used (and encountered problems with), it sounds to me as if you need the head replaced. And, if this is the case, don't bother. As mentioned above, for the price you'd pay to have the thing fixed, or even paying a simple bench charge, you could probably buy two functioning units off of Ebay.

It might simply be out of alignment, (did it take a hit of some kind?) or even be a tape sensor logic chip, but even if this is the case it would probably still be more cost efficient for you to replace it with a used and functioning model.

I've seen them pretty darn cheap on ebay, BTW.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tascam-TEAC-DA-20MKII-DAT-Machine-Excellent-NR_W0QQitemZ9722765800QQcategoryZ88760QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

billyb
    RE: tascam da 20 problems 2006/05/17 19:26:34 (permalink)
    i hear ya donny. i'm gonna try to adjust the tape guides and see if that fixes it. meanwhile i have been checking out ebay and there are some deals there, for sure. thanks for your post. i'll post here if i'm able to fix it. bill
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1