The "Expression Engine"

Author
b rock
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8717
2006/04/08 17:37:51 (permalink)

The "Expression Engine"

Kinda' catchy little name, huh? This is evidently the new term for the marriage of Cakewalk resources & development team with rgc:audio's development of the .sfz format & synthesizer technology. And it implies a long-term commitment to new synths and related software. This can only mean good things to come for us as end-users.

There's not much news here for those who have been following the .sfz/Cakewalk story up to this point. OK, 384kHz. samples: I don't remember that being mentioned. But it's nice to have it all under one banner, and laid out (in a general sense) in one spot. No wonder there were forum glitches today; I think this may have just gone up.

8 Replies Related Threads

Paradroid
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 454
    RE: The "Expression Engine" 2006/04/08 20:15:52 (permalink)
    Ah yes, the “Expression Engine™”. I meant to make mention of this when I read the updated Rapture blurb… I bit sexier than simply s f z. I mean, what does that stand for anyway? “Street Fighter Zero” or “Sound Font z” (where z is all hip and futuristic. )

This can only mean good things to come for us as end-users.

Agreed. This ain't no flash in the pan. You've gotta give it to René — along with all his other talents he also has quite a stock of patience. The world domination plan is starting to unfold…

384kHz. samples

I think that was always in there. The sfz docs say so, at any rate. I don't think René has bothered to update that page since it first went up.
    Rick McNab
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1047
    RE: The "Expression Engine" 2006/04/09 00:59:11 (permalink)
    Love the new 'tar, B. Would "b" nice if the user could rotate through 'em since your other ones are just as funny and creative. Someone should code that into the forum options. Sort of a "shuffle" option for avatars.
    b rock
    RE: The "Expression Engine" 2006/04/09 01:32:38 (permalink)
    sexier than simply s f z. I mean, what does that stand for anyway?
    Samples For Zeitgeist.
    Would "b" nice if the user could rotate through 'em
    Let's check that out, Rick. Ol' Phatass isn't going to stay up long, and Cake appears to assign a unique ID to each uploaded avatar.
    I wonder just how long that stays active. Sounds like something that could be exploited.
    Rick McNab
    RE: The "Expression Engine" 2006/04/10 18:58:02 (permalink)
    I really liked Phatass. Picture tells a thousand words about Rapture. So you mean once you switch avatars you cant go back? Just re-create him with a different ID.

By the way, and this is TOTALLY off-topic, but it's been bugging me....Do you REALLY live in S Florida? I don't care either way, but I keep wondering. I'd love to see the general area if so. Where is it on Mapquest?
    b rock
    RE: The "Expression Engine" 2006/04/10 20:24:33 (permalink)
    Do you REALLY live in S Florida? ... I'd love to see the general area if so. Where is it on Mapquest?
    Yeah, Rick: I do. Bordering on the Everglades. I've got the hurricane damage to prove it. You can see the general area on the Project5 Frappr site, along with a pic of my house. If I told you exactly where ... well, then I'd have to terminate you with extreme prejudice.

And, yes: I throw out those avatars for a laugh, and I have a backlog of them. In a previous life, I was in 3D graphic design, so it comes easy.
    Now, back to our regularly scheduled Expression Engine. Already in progress.
    Rick McNab
    RE: The "Expression Engine" 2006/04/10 22:19:21 (permalink)
    Right on. Love SF. Humidity be damned.
    b rock
    RE: The "Expression Engine" 2006/04/11 13:15:04 (permalink)
    OK, Dale. I stand corrected. I guess that I don't have much call for a 384k sample rate ... yet. Nice to know that it'll be there when I catch up, though.

Now that DP 1.2 is out, and Rapture been run through some real-world paces, I wonder what everyone thinks about the DSP effects. They got a bad rap (reverb, especially) in an early Rapture review, and I'll admit that I always was an "outboard" effects user. Something about how many synths load up their preset count with tons of time-based effects; hoping that you won't notice how bad the internal engine really is. I call them "opiated presets".

But RP/DP have me using the internal FX more and more. I honestly can find little fault in most of them. I don't (as a rule) use bit-decimation/sample crushing effects. I did my time with the Real McCoy; don't want to go back there. But the reverbs are especially "lush" to me, and have some nice "blooming" characteristics. Not convolution; they aren't supposed to be. But I'm finding them more than just useful. They're approaching "go-to".

Delays are delays: you have to try hard to screw that up in the programming process. But the variations are nice, like Detuning & Phased Delay. The distortions? Well, maybe at some point. I'd love to see this included as a 'z3ta+ style' FX plugin, but I can see where the DSP would be good enough to offer as a standalone (read: additional cost). Global, Inserts and Master in Rapture certainly offers a lot of power in a single package.

I'm curious as to how everyone else's impressions are developing as they become more familiar with the DSP.
    Mine is certainly favorable, and somewhat unexpected.
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: The "Expression Engine" 2006/04/12 00:49:58 (permalink)
    Honestly, I've simply been experimenting with the raw sound more than anything. I simply don't have the time to sit down and go over everything at once. An hour here, another couple there, and that is if I don't get sidetracked by doing something like a song where I'm actually using Rapture. Over the weekend I was checking out Acid and brought up some softsynths to see how well it worked. Started playing with Rap, then got a beat going and, well, now I have another half finished song (ok, you caught me, quarter finished song) using a tweaked Rapture preset. And actually, I used the EQ to thin out the bass. But haven't gotten to the DSP other than running through the included effects. They do sound pretty good, but I simply haven't gotten to the point to really play with them. I did have fun running the whole program through the master step generator, tho.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1