new to miking a amp any tips

Author
jamdog
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 121
2006/04/21 12:26:02 (permalink)

new to miking a amp any tips

i have always used direct stuff i would like to mic my amps the problem is can i use a shure 58 beta this mic was included with a multi track recorder i bought ten years ago. i know its more of a vocal mic.i was thinking i could use some eq and get by with it until i get a sm57.i also have a mic simulater on a korg recorder.i would be miking either a carvin combo or a vox 30 watt valve tronix.how can i reduce noise can i use a foam pad over the amp with so i can hear the bass and drums through moniters.would i have to crank the amp with that mic. i would be going mic- art pro channel pre comp eq to soundcard creative.any tips.would i get a better tone with a direct box with cab sim
post edited by jamdog - 2006/04/21 12:33:37

12 Replies Related Threads

dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    RE: new to miking a amp any tips 2006/04/21 12:43:02 (permalink)
    It sounds like you already realize that's not the ideal mic for a guitar amp, so to get the best of what you've got... My suggestions are don't adjust the volume of the amp to accommodate the mic - get the volume of the amp so it sounds the best (right amount of overdrive, not rattling, etc). You'll probably want to keep the 58 more than a foot away from your speaker. Probably closer to 2 feet or more (this would not be the advice for a 57). Point it toward the center of the cone (or slightly off center) and you'll just have to experiment with placement until it sounds the best. Something you might want to try is having your guitar go through a direct box w/ amp sim (like a Line 6 or whatever you've got) AND through the cabinet, by either using a Send channel on your amp or a Y adapter for your cable, then record to 2 different tracks and blend them in while mixing. Depending on the sound you're going for, I've had good results doing that.
    dlogan
    RE: new to miking a amp any tips 2006/04/21 12:46:33 (permalink)
    As far as isolation is concerned, you can make some cheap home-made baffles with a section of plywood with carpet or corkboard on one side, to help isolate the other sounds from being picked up on the mic. They will still get picked up some, though.
    jamdog
    RE: new to miking a amp any tips 2006/04/21 12:57:33 (permalink)
    sounds good if you have any more tips post em.i was wondering the vox has a removable grille should i take that off
    post edited by jamdog - 2006/04/21 13:13:30
    krizrox
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4046
    RE: new to miking a amp any tips 2006/04/21 13:26:55 (permalink)
    I don't know - the beta 58 might not be so bad. The Beta mics tend to be a tad brighter and hotter than the standard series and the only real major difference between a 58 and a 57 is the grill. Soundwise I think there are more similarities than differences. And if there's any dispute about that - feel free to check it out for yourself. They talk about this on the Shure website (somewhere - you'll have to look for it). Whatever. With creative positioning, you should be able to get acceptable (or better) results. I would go a step further and say if you can't get acceptable results with the Beta 58, a standard 57 isn't going to improve the situation!

As far as removing the grill cloth - I've never considered that to be a make or break option but I have heard people make that recommendation before. If the grill can be removed then remove it. If not don't worry about it. Where this seems to more of an issue is with metal grills - sometimes they rattle and should be removed. But I don't think it's much of an issue with the cloth stuff.

post edited by krizrox - 2006/04/21 13:37:27

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com
    www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    jamdog
    RE: new to miking a amp any tips 2006/04/21 16:43:32 (permalink)
    thats good to know i dont need a sm57.the grill is metal so maybe i will remove it.would cranking the amp up give me more of a airy sound or does it matter if i record it lower i have never heard anyone say what the difference is.i dont have a mic stand right now should i use the wrap the cord from the top of the amp trick.i was playing at a gig one time and the sound guy did not have a stand and he wrapped the cord so the mic would stay hanging from the amp
    dlogan
    RE: new to miking a amp any tips 2006/04/21 17:54:25 (permalink)
    If the recording will be important, invest the money in a mic stand - or see if you can borrow one from someone - otherwise you will be really limiting your options. For example, you'll probably find the best sound when the mic is pointed towards the cone, which you wouldn't be able to by hanging the mic from something.
    post edited by dlogan - 2006/04/21 18:01:31
    krizrox
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4046
    RE: new to miking a amp any tips 2006/04/22 07:56:11 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jamdog

thats good to know i dont need a sm57.the grill is metal so maybe i will remove it.would cranking the amp up give me more of a airy sound or does it matter if i record it lower i have never heard anyone say what the difference is.i dont have a mic stand right now should i use the wrap the cord from the top of the amp trick.i was playing at a gig one time and the sound guy did not have a stand and he wrapped the cord so the mic would stay hanging from the amp

I think a better way to sum it up is to say try your Beta mic first and see what you get. If you're not happy with the way the 58 sounds, then try something else. A 57 is a great workhorse mic to have in your toolbox - don't get me wrong. If you can afford to buy one, I'd say get it because it will serve you well for many different things. But I wouldn't buy it thinking it's going to be "better" than the beta mic. We're talking shades of grey here

To crank or not to crank - that is the question. If you're gonna close-mic the amp, I'd say just get it at a comfortable level. There are various schools of thought on this - I understand them all (speaker cry, tube overdive, etc). A lot depends on the amp/speaker combination. Try it at various settings and see what you get. Usually, the differences become obvious right away.

And yes get a stand. They don't cost that much.
    post edited by krizrox - 2006/04/22 08:10:22

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com
    www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    jamdog
    RE: new to miking a amp any tips 2006/04/22 11:13:39 (permalink)
    ok sounds good i will try it
    LLyons
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 574
    RE: new to miking a amp any tips 2006/04/24 00:26:17 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jamdog

i have always used direct stuff i would like to mic my amps the problem is can i use a shure 58 beta this mic was included with a multi track recorder i bought ten years ago. i know its more of a vocal mic.i was thinking i could use some eq and get by with it until i get a sm57.i also have a mic simulater on a korg recorder.i would be miking either a carvin combo or a vox 30 watt valve tronix.how can i reduce noise can i use a foam pad over the amp with so i can hear the bass and drums through moniters.would i have to crank the amp with that mic. i would be going mic- art pro channel pre comp eq to soundcard creative.any tips.would i get a better tone with a direct box with cab sim

Hey Jamdog - a sm57 may get you a better overall sound. If you want to take time and save up, a 421 sounds better (IMHO) and if you can save even longer U67 even better (at least for cleaner sounds). Like krizrox says, if you can't get a good sound from a beta, then a 57 may not help until you do figure out a good position.

Reduce noise asuming you are talking about overall SPLs - I tend to leave the power amp side opened up to get a fat sound. You can buy cabinets that have a speaker built inside so that you have good isolation - you can find a closet and tack up comforters (but watch out for the heat buildup) - you can try pointing the cab into a corner with comforters tacked up again. The problem with isolation like this is that you may miss out on some of the qualities a good room can give to a recording.

Yes, remove the grille because you can get closer to the speaker itself. I am not saying that this will be good for you but it works for what I want to hear.

Yes, a mic stand - and I would go so far as to say DON"T hange the mic over the edge unless thats exactly what you wanted to make the recording sound like (WAY off axis)

Take some time to listen to each speaker, one usually does stand out.

I have found that on axis about halfway between the cone and speaker end, about a few inches away (inside where the grille cloth ends up) seems to sound fuller to me.

When I dial in a sound that I like on the preamp, I back off a bit on the pre-amp drive.

Unless I am using a roland cube, I also tend to back down on the treble and presence.

In terms of direct recording, I use a POD Proxt. It sounds brittle to some - but if you drive it into a good amp (effects loop) you can take some of that out. The nice part your live work can sound close to your recorded work.

Best Regards,

Lance
    post edited by LLyons - 2006/04/24 00:33:44
    papa2004
    Max Output Level: -10.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6475
    RE: new to miking a amp any tips 2006/04/24 03:30:28 (permalink)
    Original: LLyons

Hey Jamdog - a sm57 may get you a better overall sound. If you want to take time and save up, a 421 sounds better (IMHO) and if you can save even longer U67 even better

Just a a point of conjecture...Miking guitar amps is extremely subjective and totally dependent on the room, the players, the guitar, the speaker cabinet and the amp's settings (in addition to what the actual desired end result is)...

LL, the 421 (I presume you're referring to the Sennheiser model) is a good recommendation for some applications (although I doubt that it would be a vast improvement over a "real" SM57 considering the cost differential)...Also, your mention of U67 baffles me...Are you talking about the vintage Neumann (the one that sells for about $4,000-$5,500 depending on condition)? If so, that's a truly excellent recommendation--but jamdog is having a problem coming up with the less than $100 to buy an SM57...Where's he gonna find the money to buy a Neumann?

Just my 2¢ worth...BTW, the rest of your post made a lot of sense in a pratical way...
    post edited by papa2004 - 2006/04/24 03:39:32

Regards,
    Papa
    jamdog
    RE: new to miking a amp any tips 2006/04/24 18:11:46 (permalink)
    insulting poeple is the best way to get more costumers i geuss.im not having trouble getting money for a 57 mic i just figure i could just use what i have somehow 7grand was spent on equipment in the last coulpe years and i still dont have a mic or directbox yeah i dont think i would want to spend 5grand on a mic i could get a mortgage for it though i would rather build a room for recording i was looking at the carvin tube mic for three bills looks good
    post edited by jamdog - 2006/04/24 18:27:46
    DonnyAir
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1201
    RE: new to miking a amp any tips 2006/05/06 15:29:48 (permalink)
    some of the best, fattest, warmest and punchiest guitar tracks I ever recorded were using an SM57 or 58. These are by no mean "just vocal mics".

57's for instance, have pretty much over the years become the studio standard for mic'ing a snare, for example.

I've never used a Beta on an amp, but as mentioned in the posts above, the differences are going to be negligable.

A good, solid dynamic, like the Shure SM series, or the Sennheiser 400 series is going to sound fine...but the more crucial quotient in this equation is... the amp.

A cold, steril sounding solid state is going to pretty much sound that way no matter what mic you use.

As with most tube amps, you start getting into warmer tones and fatter sound as the tubes get hot and the amp starts to work.

As far as "noise"... I'm not sure I get what you re asking..are you referring to amp noise? Guitar line noise? Are you recording in the vicinity of a PC monitor or under flourescent or dimmer lights?

All this will effect "noise" and cause interference.

But as far as the 58 or 57 being "just a vocal mic" ...not really true.

FWIW

D.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1