SINE BASS mixing problem.

Author
StarTattooed
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 23
2006/04/22 09:54:59 (permalink)

SINE BASS mixing problem.

Hello all,

I am doing a mix and i have two different (but not LF) bass drums and a sine bass in the project... (so i don't think there is a frequency conflict between BD's and bass...
The problem with the sine bass is it has deeper tones to play and i cannot clearly hear it...
Tryed everything, but don't know what to do... I need this sub bass sound but it puts me in a trouble...

Any ideas how i can add some harmonics on the sine waveform in order to make it clear and easy for hearing...?
when i make LF cut the bass almost dissapear... how i can get this deep bass sound?

Thanks in advance...
hope you understood my words :)

4 Replies Related Threads

TheFingers
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1669
    RE: SINE BASS mixing problem. 2006/04/28 01:44:50 (permalink)
    I don't know, but reading this made me want to run the track through (free) Voxengo Tube Amp. Worth a try?

1973 "A" neck.

I'd rather be playing Bass:
    fejede
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 145
    RE: SINE BASS mixing problem. 2006/05/18 12:02:38 (permalink)
    Have you tried some of what Yep suggested on the frequency analysis thread.....

I tried it and it made a huge difference...I am using a sine bass as well with a kick that was competing with it.....

I did the highpass eqing that he mentioned and I got me much better results....

I got good separation from the bass and the kick and the overall track is more powerful rather less so....

Regards,
    ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: SINE BASS mixing problem. 2006/05/18 16:22:43 (permalink)
    I'd seriously not recommend using a sine wave for a bass. Here's why:
    - the ear can barely tell the pitch of a pure sine wave down in the 40Hz to 60Hz range
    - alternatively, the ear will "synthesize" a bass from just the harmonics of the tone
    - the character and impact of a wave is from the harmonics

This is the reason why saw wave synth bass lines became so popular. And you notice they will generally put a filter sweep that lets in a 10ms to 30msec burst of high freq harmonics to establish the pitch, deliver the impact, etc.

If you really want a monster bass, you can either: 1) add in a little sine to a saw bass tone, 2) add a little bit of another saw bass one octave down from the main line.

If want that smoothness of a sine, just filter the saw down a little; just not too much.

Anyway, that's my 2¢
    yep
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4057
    RE: SINE BASS mixing problem. 2006/05/18 17:49:58 (permalink)
    Take a deep breath and sit down for this:

If the bass is too low for you to hear, then it isn't a very important part of the mix, and should probably be cut.

If you are making dedicated 24-bit DVD audio club mixes or hollywood movie soundtracks that require significant subsonic content for explosions and dinosaur stomping, then you need a good full-range monitoring system. Little nearfield monitors won't cut it, there are no two ways about it, and there is no way around it.

If you are making conventional music recordings for popular release, for people to listen to on home hifis and car stereos and ipods and the like, then very low-frequency stuff is not going to be reproduced by the playback systems, and is going to take up a lot of your headroom. Best case scenario, they simply won't hear the bass, and your record will sound 12dB quieter than everyone else's because you have all this useless subsonic content eating up your dynamic range. Worst case scenario, your record blows their speakers. Most likely, what will happen is that those subsonics will overdrive the amplifier but not be transmitted by the speakers, resulting in a distorted, warbly playback, something like compressor pumping or running your whole mix through an LFO.

Most conventional playback systems, even ones with subwoofers, only really reproduce frequencies upwards of between 60-150 Hz, depending on the system. Moreover, below 200 cycles or so, human hearing tends to be very vague and poor at pitch perception, and people tend to "feel" rather than hear the bass. A little bit of content down there goes a long way.

There are techniques you can use to get that "throbbing" bass sound or the "punch in the chest" kick drum using commonly-reproducable frequency ranges. The Good Lord created tone controls and subwoofer controls for a reason. Let your audience crank up the subsonics if they have the equipment and the desire to do so.

That's my $.02, anyway.

Cheers.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1