Questions to developers about Rapture demo

Author
tenor
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2006/04/22 18:36:13 (permalink)

Questions to developers about Rapture demo

Why is possible only one portamento (legato) mode?

Why multi mode is accessible only to one cycle waveform?
And only without start sync.
And no possibility to edit stereo range.

Why there are no global envelopes of amp, filter, etc.?
- for layered patches this is insufficient.

Why if initial wav file is lost, Rapture is not proposed for search it?
- for example as in Battery (search/locate)
- appears only the window (Not found)
- but if in the project several instruments and in each on 2-3 sounds
or folder was displaced or system was reinstalled?.... this is sadly.

And finally, what does occur with the sound in the range after 15000 hz?
- Original sound actually spoils.
It is checked on the different systems in hi/std quality with the bypass filters.
Is probable this the problem of the antialiasing.

17 Replies Related Threads

René
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Questions to developers about Rapture demo 2006/04/22 19:03:40 (permalink)
    Why is possible only one portamento (legato) mode?

Well, basically because there's no code to implement other modes. You might want to check z3ta+ for multiple portamento modes (Normal and Fingered, Fixed and Variable time in any combination).

Why there are no global envelopes of amp, filter, etc.?

Amp and Filter are per-voice components in Rapture. Those couldn't be controlled by a global envelope.

Why if initial wav file is lost, Rapture is not proposed for search it?

Again, because to do that it's needed to write some code, perform testing, and I don't believe it's crucial for the product goal. Rapture is mostly designed for wavetable playback, and then it's very easy to locate wavetables in the correct folder as they're very small (one-cycle). This is a nice FR for Dimension Pro though.

And finally, what does occur with the sound in the range after 15000 hz?

Possibly you're not using sinc interpolation (under Options) to render. That'll give you the highest frequency response with the best antialiasing.

-René

tenor
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Questions to developers about Rapture demo 2006/04/23 18:44:28 (permalink)
    Thus I understood that the code was not written in all cases.
    In other words, instrument is not completed.
    I examined it as sampler.
    If not there would be questions of the given ones by me,
    Rapture would be greatly grow prettier by replacement to all existing nowadays sampleplayers.
    But thus far it looks like early beta version.

And I even forgot to mention about multitimbral mode.
    - If there is this work mode, it would be worthwhile to add multiouts.

About the search for lost samples.
    The keyword - transference and compatability of project to other setup.
    This is a basic difference in serious work from the entertainment.
    If product is positioned for the professional market, has sense to consider the nuances.
    For example I collaborate with the different studios and it is not possible to synchronize setap simply.

and sound damage about:

pics - http://www.mytempdir.com/616785
    samples - http://www.mytempdir.com/616808
    lawapa
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: Questions to developers about Rapture demo 2006/04/23 19:42:58 (permalink)
    Rapture does respond to sfz format commands/opcodes. If you are unaware of this then I could understand you not seeing what Rapture brings to the table. The GUI has specifically been kept to what any user could use to modify the sound, simple and elegant. Rapture is more like a wavetable synth than a sampler and yet it can load very large sets as an element.

If all you did was brouse the surface then you missed most of what it can do. Until you take a look under the hood you wouldn't see what your missing.
    7XL
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 641
    RE: Questions to developers about Rapture demo 2006/04/23 21:45:33 (permalink)
    I really fail to see what you mean.

Because it doesn't work the way that you want it to work you consider it to be incomplete?

Even after it was explained to you that the things that you dislike were not in the design.

It's all behind the scenes.....
    lawapa
    RE: Questions to developers about Rapture demo 2006/04/23 23:54:02 (permalink)
    Question for Rene or Chad? ;)+)

I have a pool of wave files and single cycles in a folder (home made). As I load these up and test in Rapture I get to a point where I want to save a Progam. Now I minimise Sonar. and using win explorer I do a new folder. I copy/drag the files I'm using to it, rename them to ele-1, ele-2, ele-3. Then I go back and reload each file into Rapture using the new name. The intent is to save the prog file in the folder with the wave and or table files. But on reload the sound changes. It's almost like when I reload the file if I have pitch set to +12 the new file won't understand the relationship. Something changes? when I try to repitch the files it never seems to quite go back to what I was working with almost like every load can be a different pitch/root note. Since these are non sfz type files I've wondered if I should set pitch using SFZ before I start working with them.

I would do this but I'm working with single files here. When I'm building from a set I always set pitch before I start anything.

I guess what I'm asking is the load arbitrary? Where pitch can vary. I might have screwed up when I did my trim/crop in SoundForge where the default set is always set to c4. But I did not do a sample properties box for these files.
    Shayne White
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 306
    RE: Questions to developers about Rapture demo 2006/04/24 12:23:10 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: tenor

and sound damage about:

pics - http://www.mytempdir.com/616785
    samples - http://www.mytempdir.com/616808

OK, you're having exactly the same sound quality loss problems I'm having with Rapture. The trouble is, I already bought it and paid money for it. You can view my ongoing thread here.

It's already been determined that if you load a single-cycle waveform into Rapture, Rapture will "rebuild" the entire waveform with its harmonics in such a way as to prevent aliasing, thus resulting in a slightly different-sounding sample. However, it is supposed to be able to play multi-cycle samples in tact (and it doesn't), which is why I put up a drum loop comparison on the thread. Try loading a longer sample into Rapture and see if it still cuts off the high end, will you? I want to make 100% sure it isn't only me that's having a problem.

If this is a confirmable issue, then either I want promises it will be fixed, or I want my money back. Because at the moment, Rapture's sound engine SUCKS.

I also contacted Cakewalk's tech support about this issue, and I haven't heard back yet. We'll wait and see.

Shayne
    post edited by Shayne White - 2006/04/24 12:32:15
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Questions to developers about Rapture demo 2006/04/24 12:53:02 (permalink)
    Rapture, according to my understanding, is a synth, not a sampler, converting "samples" into wavetables (like other virtual synths). The point is to be able to use these wavetables stretched over a wider range of notes without aliasing or munchikinzation or other sampler artifacts - much like one would use an analog ocillator. Rapture uses a very clean sounding implementation of this wavetable process.

Both Shayne and Tenor seem to want more of a straight samper function. I suggest they try Dimension, except there is no Demo. Maybe Tech support can help them with this (and yes, they will answer you, tho it might take a while to wind through the guts of the system). Prehaps a time limited version without the bundled samples a la a beta tester's. After all, there is a signicant price difference between Rapt and DimPro but it might solve there problem.

And Larry, don't know about your problem. It is probably, as you suspect, an SFZ thing. It seems that Cake needs to get several "how to's" out and on the web. that would be a nice one with all the appropriate info for our sound creation. I know René said he was working on getting a web page and Cake should follow up, but if you have a web site (or more than one) you should know fixing a site pales between making some money right now, getting the next product out, etc.

I imagine Ren'e is thinking about your answer right now - I can only hope that he writes a good one and saves it to be stickied, wikied and otherwise posted when the tutorial/help site gets up. I mean, I've been trying to copy all the good stuff I find on synth technique and failing miserably to keep up (damn life keeps getting in the way and I can't take a day off even tho I know at some point I will spend more time going through old posts!).

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    René
    RE: Questions to developers about Rapture demo 2006/04/24 13:07:44 (permalink)
    I examined it as sampler.

I see, thanks. I think this is the main reason for you seeing it as "not complete". Rapture is not a sampler, nor it will be. It's a wavetable synthesizer, you can find the full specification and public information page here: http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/Rapture/default.asp

Don't get me wrong. I do enjoy receiving 'wishes' and 'more stuff please' comments, either privately or publicly. I do that all the time, and old timers know that many of their wishes will become true one day. However, asking "why there's not multi mode for samples" and after my explanation cathegorizing Rapture as an "early beta" is somehow unfair in my humble view. Anyways, I understand more your expectations after knowing you were expecting a sampler. I'd say, come back in few months. We'll be on it, hope one day we can make something worthy for you to consider.

It's already been determined that if you load a single-cycle waveform into Rapture, Rapture will "rebuild" the entire waveform with its harmonics in such a way as to prevent aliasing, thus resulting in a slightly different-sounding sample. However, it is supposed to be able to play multi-cycle samples in tact (and it doesn't), which is why I put up a drum loop comparison on the thread.

One more time in one more thread, your problem is not generated by Rapture. I repeated your experiment with your drum loop and wavetable, and as I mentioned in the other thread the audio quality remains intact. I suspect that your problem is generated either by

1- Your system is not reacting to the sinc interpolation toggle in the Options menu. This needs to be able to write the registry, and that can fail for several reasons, all related to your system (privileges, protective software, etc.).
    2- Your host doesn't notify Rapture that its freezing or rendering. There're a few hosts which won't notify if they're playing, freezing or rendering, so Rapture won't be able to use the full quality rendering. If you have a host capable of DXi/VST, or DXi/AU you can try the alternate format. Some hosts notify some formats only.
    3- Your system has a samplerate conflict. This means, it forces Rapture to resample up or down and then back. This might happen because the samplerate of the original material difers from the project samplerate or output samplerate.

Rapture will play at full quality during realtime when processing wavetables, but unlike Dimension Pro it selects a lower interpolation mode when playing samples realtime, which it maxes on render/freeze. It also loads samples at 16-bit, while Dimension Pro allows for 16 and 32-bit. There're tricks to enable 32-bit in Rapture and to force several playback modes, but none of those is enabled by default, as the goal of the synthesizer is to load and play wavetables. Please make sure to detail explicitly what is your host to Technical Support, so they can figure a way to reproduce your issues and can point you to specific tests.

-René
    Shayne White
    RE: Questions to developers about Rapture demo 2006/04/24 14:06:41 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: René

One more time in one more thread, your problem is not generated by Rapture. I repeated your experiment with your drum loop and wavetable, and as I mentioned in the other thread the audio quality remains intact. I suspect that your problem is generated either by

1- Your system is not reacting to the sinc interpolation toggle in the Options menu. This needs to be able to write the registry, and that can fail for several reasons, all related to your system (privileges, protective software, etc.).
    2- Your host doesn't notify Rapture that its freezing or rendering. There're a few hosts which won't notify if they're playing, freezing or rendering, so Rapture won't be able to use the full quality rendering. If you have a host capable of DXi/VST, or DXi/AU you can try the alternate format. Some hosts notify some formats only.
    3- Your system has a samplerate conflict. This means, it forces Rapture to resample up or down and then back. This might happen because the samplerate of the original material difers from the project samplerate or output samplerate.

Rapture will play at full quality during realtime when processing wavetables, but unlike Dimension Pro it selects a lower interpolation mode when playing samples realtime, which it maxes on render/freeze. It also loads samples at 16-bit, while Dimension Pro allows for 16 and 32-bit. There're tricks to enable 32-bit in Rapture and to force several playback modes, but none of those is enabled by default, as the goal of the synthesizer is to load and play wavetables. Please make sure to detail explicitly what is your host to Technical Support, so they can figure a way to reproduce your issues and can point you to specific tests.

-René

Rene, thanks for providing some more details. I'm using Sonar 5.2 (also tried it with 5.01), and having the sinc interpolation on while rendering standard samples didn't sound any different than realtime. I can try the VST version and see if that makes a difference.

If that does indeed make a difference, is there any way I can use a higher-quality interpolation mode in realtime? I do most of my work in realtime and almost never render/bounce anything. Yes, I did buy Rapture mainly to do wavetables, but I was immediately confronted with sound quality issues. I'm willing to accept that wavetables are going to sound different because of the resampling engine (it would have been nice if the manual had mentioned this!), but I still maintain that standard samples should sound the way they sound.
    Shayne White
    RE: Questions to developers about Rapture demo 2006/04/24 15:16:29 (permalink)
    OK, I tried the VST version in Sonar -- it worked on render! Sounds great! Thanks for the tip, Rene! So the DXi version isn't doing the sinc interpolation properly. Hmm....

As I said before, however, I do most of my work in realtime. So there's got to be a way to implement sinc interpolation in realtime. Even wavetable playback sounded better with it. I don't care how hard the CPU hit is -- please, please, figure out how to enable the interpolation in realtime! It'll make Rapture sound so much better!

Shayne
    René
    RE: Questions to developers about Rapture demo 2006/04/24 15:33:10 (permalink)
    Thanks Shayne, I'm glad to hear you found a workaround. If possible, I'd like to follow up privately on what might be causing your issue on the DXi. When you find a minute, please drop me a line to rceballos at cakewalk. Thanks.

-René
    lawapa
    RE: Questions to developers about Rapture demo 2006/04/24 20:47:12 (permalink)
    And Larry, don't know about your problem

Well, My little problem is not anywhere near what Shane is going through.

My Rap and Dpro sound superb in every respect. It is probably a simple fix. Root note all wave samples in SForge and it locks in the pitch. And when I think about it. I should have done that to start. This was a my fault thing.
    I just got in a hurry, made a few tests, jumped in and started doing the do before I thought about it very hard. I do that sometime ;)+) But even when there is a variation of pitch it's not sounding bad. I can't believe how far a can stretch a sample with it still sounding good.
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Questions to developers about Rapture demo 2006/04/24 23:51:04 (permalink)
    Larry,

glad you worked it out. You needed to assign a root note to the samples in SF? That was the problem? Glad you discovered that, not me. I spent most of the day trying to get my e-mail working. suddenly, there ain't nowhere to write a message. SWBell suggested I contact Microsoft. I told them I'd just ring up Bill and he'd get it sorted out for me. Sheesh. I'm hoping when I wake up tomorrow it was all just a bad dream.
    post edited by AT - 2006/04/24 23:58:53

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Wizky
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: Questions to developers about Rapture demo 2006/06/29 19:08:59 (permalink)
    First of all, sorry for bringing life to this thread again ...

Grabbed the Rapture Demo and installed it. Made a sample in D3, 44.1khz 16bit. Created a simple .sfz to load the sample into Rapture just allowing it to change the pitch +/- 1 semitone.
    And I get the same result as Shayne... dull sound .. like an mp3 coded in 96kbit

<region> 
    sample=sound d3.wav
    lokey=c#3
    hikey=d#3
    pitch_keycenter=d3

Shayne White wrote :
    OK, I tried the VST version in Sonar -- it worked on render! Sounds great! Thanks for the tip, Rene! So the DXi version isn't doing the sinc interpolation properly. Hmm....

Hmm.. It's the VSTi version I have problem with ....

René wrote :

1. Tried it with a clean system with admin rights (only a host, audio drivers and the plugin installed). No change in audio quality (still dull). Ran windows update and updated my system (Windows XP Pro SP2) without any luck of improving quality (didn't think it would either ...)

2. Tried with ReNoise 1.5.2 (vst tracker), Zynewave Podium v1.62, and Cubase SL v3.1.1.944. Same problem in all hosts (both in realtime and rendering with/without sinc), using VSTi.

3. Reinstalled my system 3 times with different version numbers on the audio drivers, in case there were some incompability (reinstalled the system just to make sure all 'older' files were gone instead of just uninstalling the driver). As the sample was made to be a 44.1khz 16bit I used the same settings for the projects in the different hosts. Also checked the control panel for the audio card (M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496) just to make sure it was set to 44.1khz (with a DMA buffer of 384 samples (latency)). Same dull sound whatever I do ...

As a last resort I used my girlfriends computer with a Soundblaster Audigy 2 (just with ReNoise and the Rapture Demo) and still got the same result as before...

I'm aware that Rapture's primary usage is for loading 'wavetables' (single cycle waveforms), but it has the ability to load longer samples as well.

Here are some test I made:

First part of wave file is the 'original' as it should sound. The end part is played through Rapture with sinc on. Just playing the notes C#3 - D3 - D#3 with a root key of D3 :Test Wave 1

This wave is played through Rapture (sinc on) with a project setup of 96khz 16bit and it almost sound right, with a glitch in the beginning of each note (Still the 44.1, 16 wave file being played in 96khz) : Test Wave 2

I'm not an expert in any way, but shouldn't the 'resample problem' you describe above occur in other players/samplers as well (like the Direct Wave Sampler) which seems to work flawless for me ? Think I'm walking on thin ice here ...

I hope you don't get this as I am criticizing your product. I would gladely buy it if I can solve this matter. There would be no end to the possibilities I would have with this great piece of software. I know of the Dimension Pro too, but it seems less oriented to the electronic side of music (eek, maybe shouldn't have said that , but there seems to be more effects etc in the Rapture synth that I could take advantage of + the wavetable/(unison)detune and possibilities to load samples)
    Just to make you aware of another (demo) user having problem with the plugin and I will stand corrected if it's my own fault!

Some computer specs:

Intel P4 2.8Ghz (hyperthreading)
    1Gb RAM
    ASUS P4P800 Motherboard (I865 chipset)
    M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496 (tried the 5.10.00.0048a, 5.10.00.5051, 5.10.00.5052v3 drivers)

No conflicts in the hardware device manager and the computer seems to run fine as I know of it ...

EDIT : Smoothed (made a short fade in) the sample and tried to play it with a project setup of 96khz which almost seemed to sound ok apart from the glitches in the beginning of each note (thought the problem with the glitches could be the start of the sample ). Still the same result with the sample starting from a zero-crossing and a fade in...
    post edited by Wizky - 2006/06/29 19:55:28
    Frank@ProSounds
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 199
    RE: Questions to developers about Rapture demo 2006/06/29 21:09:14 (permalink)
    Just to add a half-cent reply to all of this....as far as the sound engine in Rapture goes, I've loaded several samples into it (especially recently as I'm working on presets for another company's sampleset) and the sound quality does not change at all. I've loaded everything from drum loops to multisamples in SFZ format and never had a problem.

hehe, you kids and your anti-aliasing..... you should thank the lord that you're not forced to work with hardware.
    lawapa
    RE: Questions to developers about Rapture demo 2006/06/29 21:28:00 (permalink)
    My problem was never a dul sound. It was pitch related and keycenter transpose/tune will solve that now. I experianced a change in how Rapture handels a wavefile on load and after saving as a prog. I thought a set root note on edit in soundforge would solve that buts it's just a matter of tuning the wavefile in Rapture with a wavetable. setting the transpose/tune.
    Wizky
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: Questions to developers about Rapture demo 2006/06/30 06:01:52 (permalink)
    Found an interesting post in this thread : http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=796775

The register 'hack' solves the problem, but on the wrong computer On my girlfriends computer, it works perfectly.
    On my own computer it gets close to the 96khz sample I posted previously, but now running in 44.1khz. So there's a huge improvement. Glitches are still there, and I'm investigating further

Will concentrate more on my computer this time and see if I can find anything that causes this issue.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1