Quick Dimension Question

Author
jamester
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1481
2006/04/23 04:45:37 (permalink)

Quick Dimension Question

I will be sprnging for Dim Pro soon, and am thinking of using it pretty much exclusively for my synth and sampling needs (my needs aren't that great, really). So far I've mostly used Sampletank 2...

My question is about the lack of a built-in keyboard (and virtual mod/pitch wheels) like most every other soft-sampler has. Please realize I'm still a bit new to all this, but does this affect DP's functionality? Obviously I can't immediately sample a program with my mouse (though I can do that in a piano roll), but how does this affect zones and such?

It seems that without a midi controller attached, Dimension is limited a bit functionally compared to instruments that do have the virtual keys? Any help/explanation on this will be greatly appreciated!

thanks in advance =)

Purrrfect Audio DAW built by Jim Roseberry
Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
Reaper, Live, Sound Forge, Pyro

14 Replies Related Threads

lost sheep
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: Quick Dimension Question 2006/04/23 05:16:31 (permalink)
    It seems that without a midi controller attached, Dimension is limited a bit functionally compared to instruments that do have the virtual keys? Any help/explanation on this will be greatly appreciated!
    Totally thrown by your method of working here James! You mean you actually compose and modulate your music on a virtual keyboard. That sounds so much like hard work given the price of a cheap controller. Personally I prefer my VST's without v.kbds as they use valuable screen space and just add to the GUI overhead.

I've never specifically looked for one but I have seen midi virtual keyboards floating around. You could do a search for one if you think it's going to be a problem.
    jamester
    RE: Quick Dimension Question 2006/04/23 05:29:12 (permalink)
    You mean you actually compose and modulate your music on a virtual keyboard.

Oh heavens no! lol

I'm simply asking if there's anything missing without it, functionality-wise. Again, I'm only asking because I'm still learning all this stuff (like "zones" which I don't understand). But no, I have a midi-keyboard for playing. If the built-in keys are no big deal, why does Sampletank, Kontakt/Kompakt/Intakt, V-Sampler, Halion etc all have them?

I realize Dimension isn't trying to necessarily be a "true" all-out soft-sampler like those mentioned...but that's why I'm posing the question. What am I missing here???

bnmoore
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 445
    RE: Quick Dimension Question 2006/04/23 10:28:34 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jamester
    If the built-in keys are no big deal, why does Sampletank, Kontakt/Kompakt/Intakt, V-Sampler, Halion etc all have them?

To waste screen space? The ones that won't toggle off really annoy me. About the only time I ever need to look at one is if samples are keyswitched and there's disagreement about how MIDI note numbers translate into octaves between developers.

Ben N. Moore
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Quick Dimension Question 2006/04/23 12:07:49 (permalink)
    Switched virtual keyboards are the best. But I do tend to use the vk when I'm messing around - maybe that will change now that I've got the little novation kB controller w/ midi - I don't have to switch everything on anymore. Unlike the computer, I can't hit the sleep button for my main keys, amps, board, etc. et al.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    xylyx
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2505
    RE: Quick Dimension Question 2006/04/23 12:36:55 (permalink)
    Do you mean the virtual keyboards that are at the bottom of some synths or do mean the virtual keyboard view in samplers that are used for mapping out the sample zones etc? Just wondered, with your list being all samplers (and Kontakt not having a virtual keyboard at the bottom of it's GUI).
    René
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Quick Dimension Question 2006/04/23 13:06:51 (permalink)
    I think there're two different concepts going on simultaneously. First, the ability to preview sounds using a virtual, on-screen keyboard. Dimension doesn't feature a virtual, on-screen keyboard as some other synthesizers, so this preview needs to be done using either the piano-roll keyboard in the host, or an external MIDI controller.

The second, is the ability of map samples using its interface. Dimension Pro doesn't feature this, it plays 'pre-digested' sfz mappings, which need to be written externally. Kontakt, for instance, has a graphical editor to perform this action (and has no onscreen virtual keyboard btw).

-René
    jamester
    RE: Quick Dimension Question 2006/04/23 14:25:24 (permalink)
    Ah, thanks Rene that helps a lot! Funny about Kontakt, I always thought it had the keys...I guess we could swap Bandstand in its place! lol

So I'm to take it that there's no real functional difference, only graphical?

xylyx:
    Do you mean the virtual keyboards that are at the bottom of some synths or do mean the virtual keyboard view in samplers that are used for mapping out the sample zones etc?

See, that's just it - I'm not sure! =)

I think I'm understanding now; on synths, the keys are soley to facilitate sound previews, on samplers they're used for mapping these zones that I don't understand. But Dimension can't make out zones anyways, so in that case it's a moot point.

Am I getting it? Thanks again guys...

xylyx
    RE: Quick Dimension Question 2006/04/23 15:08:31 (permalink)
    Well, Dimension does have zones (or at least the sfz format that Dim uses for it's samples does), it just doesn't have a graphical way of mapping the samples like Kontakt does. As for explaining the zone mapping...actually, if I remember correctly, you read Sound On Sound don't you? They ran a sampling tutorial over a few issues, which covered sampling/mapping and what it is and why...I would recommend looking into it, as they will do a better job of clarifying it to you than I could

EDIT: I'm starting to wonder if I am mixing you up with Andy C with regards to the SOS magazine...I'm sure you'll correct me if I am wrong
    post edited by xylyx - 2006/04/23 15:34:47
    lawapa
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: Quick Dimension Question 2006/04/23 15:19:05 (permalink)
    IIRC each element has a lokey/hikey in Dimension. While this is not a GUI you would use to map out a sample set you can define the range/zone in that element and the element can be anything from a full sample set down to a single cycle.
    xylyx
    jamester
    RE: Quick Dimension Question 2006/04/23 22:15:37 (permalink)
    Cool - I do read SOS and subscribed to it last year...I'll look that up, I do seem to remember that series. Thanks xylyx! =)

Lawapa: That went a little over my head, but maybe after digging a bit deeper into this it'll make more sense! lol

whitefalcon
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1161
    RE: Quick Dimension Question 2006/04/23 23:04:46 (permalink)
    Do you mean the virtual keyboards that are at the bottom of some synths or do mean the virtual keyboard view in samplers that are used for mapping out the sample zones etc? Just wondered, with your list being all samplers (and Kontakt not having a virtual keyboard at the bottom of it's GUI).

I use them to sample banks, But that could be done with a button that says bank sample. A whole keyboard is not necessary for that. I usually use the Pattern one note pattern to sample banks on synths that dont have keyboards. I wish more synths allowed you to move through the sounds by clicking the mouse buttons left and right to move up and down through the banks. I believe Psyn does this if I am not mistaken.
    lawapa
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: Quick Dimension Question 2006/04/24 00:12:38 (permalink)
    jamester; I can relate, till I got Dpro a lot of this stuff went over my head. I'm now building Progs for Rapture. One at a time mind you but I am giving it a go. A few week ends spent making content-then off to the races.

I should be working out more using the sfz format. But since both Rap/Dpro have that anti aliasing engine you can get decent sound from a few wave files/tables. I'm not lazy mind you it's just so fast to drop a few files and get to program right now.
    And I can modify anything after the fact if the need arises. I make my own content so I can pass them around without stepping on toes. Don't want that copybugger looking me up ;)+)
    bnmoore
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 445
    RE: Quick Dimension Question 2006/04/24 08:09:15 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jamester
    Funny about Kontakt, I always thought it had the keys...I guess we could swap Bandstand in its place! lol

Kontakt 2 does have one, with a button at the top of the GUI to toggle it on and off. Older versions didn't.

Ben N. Moore
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1