Voice-over recording

Author
krizrox
Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4046
2006/05/01 14:40:35 (permalink)

Voice-over recording

just curious - is there any taboo associated with using expansion or gating when it comes to radio voice-over work? I've never thought so in the past but I was wondering if any of you had any other comments about it. What about compression? Limiting?

Is there any reason to fear using whatever mic I want for such work? Or are radio professionals somewhat anal about this stuff? Just curious what you have to say about it.

Larry Kriz
www.LnLRecording.com
www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.

14 Replies Related Threads

dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    RE: Voice-over recording 2006/05/01 15:10:57 (permalink)
    I've never recorded any voice-over work myself, but the singer in the band I'm working with has done some voice-over work for some radio ads. He doesn't know what processing was done, but his voice-overs were just recorded at the radio station using their broadcast mics. I also know someone who has a studio that is mainly designed for voice-over work (an insurance company I used to work for recorded audio work there) and they did their voice-over in an isolation booth and did use compression / limiting. That's about the most I know technically about what they did.

Dave
    NYSR
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1550
    RE: Voice-over recording 2006/05/02 08:03:29 (permalink)
    The radio signal WILL go through some rather significant compression. Some stations use cheap compressors some use highly advanced multi band complex compressors. Use compression only to maintain a clarity of ennunciation and articulation. By the time your voice over hits the radio it will be clobbered anyway. But if you compress it and they compress it it might pump unpleasantly.
    post edited by NYSR - 2006/05/03 07:26:43

Cakewalk customer since Apprentice version 1, PreSonus 16.4.2 ai, 3.5 gHz i7

krizrox
    RE: Voice-over recording 2006/05/02 08:58:15 (permalink)
    I had some people associated with National Public Radio in yesterday and that's why I asked the questions. Usually, I approach these things like I would any other session - do what I think is right and use whatever mic I feel like using. The problem with voice-related recordings is the background noise (among other things). I can deal with that easily using an expander plug-in. I opted not to use any compression or limiting, kept the volumes low enough not to be an issue with peaks and used a pair of Oktava MK12's with pop filters. The producer was happy and that's all that I cared about. He was planning on taking the tracks to a Pro Tools studio for final editing so it was a fairly simple session for me.

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    NYSR
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1550
    RE: Voice-over recording 2006/05/03 07:23:41 (permalink)
    NPR is a more au natural environment - far less compression. Good mic technique, a bit of tube warmth or at least a large diaphram mic kept about 12 inches from the mouth as you speak as naturally and yet evenly as possible.

In terms of background noise can be problematic. I created a vocal booth for voice overs where inside my recording room I have hung older mover's blankets to make a booth. THis minimizes almost everything but a jet overhead.

Cakewalk customer since Apprentice version 1, PreSonus 16.4.2 ai, 3.5 gHz i7

DonnyAir
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1201
    RE: Voice-over recording 2006/05/03 09:21:48 (permalink)
    Of course you want the track as quiet as possible when it comes to background noise, etc.
    But NY is correct in that, depending on the station it's broadcast on, the amount of gain reduction or expansion they use will vary quite a bit. NPR is known for it's fidelity, and because many stations that also run NPR programming are also classical stations (WKSU for example), it's obvious that they do pay attention to sonics... but, you can't rule out that the individual stations will still be responsible for their own dynamics control, and some will likely be better than others.

I would approach it like any other project, Larry... use a decent dynamic like an RE20 or an LD condensor mic, a nice pre and you'll be fine... but if it were me I think I'd use dynamic processing sparingly.

FWIW

D.
    rolo95
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1607
    RE: Voice-over recording 2006/05/10 10:38:40 (permalink)
    hey speaking of voice overs....

when seeing the behind the scenes...of various DVD´s....( movies ) like...
    The corps of the bride.... the ice age... etc etc...

i have seen that on the vox booth the actors have 2 condensers...
    one slightly back of the " main " mic...
    have seen that many times....

why do they use 2 mics.... ( looks like the same model... )
    thats for an special acoustic effect....?
    or... for using 2 brands of mics... and mixing the 2 timbres....?

always wondered that.
    Greets
    ROlo.
    post edited by rolo95 - 2006/05/10 13:54:42

-----------------------------------------------------
    THERE IS NO POWER Without KNOWLEDGE !!!
    krizrox
    RE: Voice-over recording 2006/05/10 11:49:31 (permalink)
    It's funny you should mention that. I saw a DVD thing the other day and it looked like they were using an M/S configuration. They looked like Neumanns but in an M/S position. I thought that was odd and interesting.

I assume two mics allow for room ambience and/or whisper vs. loud shouting tracks. Someone with more movie experience probably has more insight.

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com

rolo95
    RE: Voice-over recording 2006/05/10 13:46:09 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: krizrox

It's funny you should mention that. I saw a DVD thing the other day and it looked like they were using an M/S configuration. They looked like Neumanns but in an M/S position. I thought that was odd and interesting.

I assume two mics allow for room ambience and/or whisper vs. loud shouting tracks. Someone with more movie experience probably has more insight.

Hi yaa larry

yeah.-... may be... so... but hmmmm... dont have any clue...
    Greets
    ROlo.

ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Voice-over recording 2006/05/10 14:07:24 (permalink)

just curious - is there any taboo associated with using expansion or gating when it comes to radio voice-over work? I've never thought so in the past but I was wondering if any of you had any other comments about it. What about compression? Limiting?

Is there any reason to fear using whatever mic I want for such work? Or are radio professionals somewhat anal about this stuff? Just curious what you have to say about it.

If you are recording it you can do any of that after the fact or use the clip gain envelope to get it just right. As for mics an EV RE-20 or Shure SM7 are common for this application but a normal old SM-57 will do on the cheap. Voice-over is also a good chance to use any "larger then life" preamps you might have like a Great River or tube rig, they can be too much for a dense mix but for voice over you can't get too "big", you just can't.
    rolo95
    RE: Voice-over recording 2006/05/13 15:16:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: rolo95

Hi yaa larry

yeah.-... may be... so... but hmmmm... dont have any clue...
    Greets
    ROlo.

ANy clues ?

rolo95
    RE: Voice-over recording 2006/05/15 23:57:22 (permalink)
    bump

awfulfalafel
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 151
    RE: Voice-over recording 2006/05/19 10:31:05 (permalink)
    Ah, the old multiple mic for voice over thingy.

Room ambience of a vocal booth? Not probable or really useful.

Typically, if you have a scene involving at least a two-shot (close-up and far away camera position) it's best to do ADR with a close-up and distant mic. The dialogue engineer won't be sure how the final edit will be definitely (even using storyboards, a scene with a two-shot is flexed quite a bit for dramatic timing) so having the two mics gives the scene editor more flexibility when putting together a scene with "authentic" dialogue.

Sometimes extra mics are setup for actors who move a bit during ADR to try and capture every bit of the performance. Compressors help, but it's safe to have a second mic if you can spare it.

Tony

Fast, Cheap, or Good...pick two!
    Audio Engineer -http://www.n-space.com
    Staff Writer -----http://www.music4games.net
    rolo95
    RE: Voice-over recording 2006/05/20 03:31:23 (permalink)
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    that makes sense...
    ROlo.

rolo95
    RE: Voice-over recording 2006/05/31 12:00:15 (permalink)

yesterday i was seeing madagascar ...behind the scenes...
    and the same 2 condenser setup is shown on the vocal booths
    where the actors speak its parts...

still wondering..... Mmmm......

Rolo.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1