9-pin firewire port?

Author
johnny 2001
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 36
2006/05/01 22:25:33 (permalink)

9-pin firewire port?

Hi all,

Just bought a new laptop (Dell 1505E with core-duo) and have decided to get into using firewire. I have been recording for years on my desktop using M-Audio's DMP3 mic pres and Delta Soundcard, so cakewalk is not new to me but firewire is.

Thinking of purchasing the Presonus Firebox and an external drive and of course I need to get a firewire expresscard for my laptop to use the thing. I see that SIIG has a card available with two 6-pin ports or a card with one 6-pin and one 9-pin fro about $30 more.

So far as I know, none of the audio interfaces currently available use the 9-pin port but I'm wondering if that's just around the corner and I'll regret not buying the card with the 9-pin. I guess items like the presonus and external firewire drives can be daisychained so only having one 6-pin should be okay but if I'm not going to use the 9-pin it seems like a waste!

Any suggestions or recommendations would be welcome, thanks!
John

4 Replies Related Threads

kingdomrecordings
    RE: 9-pin firewire port? 2006/05/23 11:56:52 (permalink)
    Hi,
    I just picked up a "low end" notebook which utilizes the express card 54. (express card 34 compatible)
    I decided to get a MOTU ultralite...Took it back. Nothing but noise, but I'm sure it wasn't the MOTU. I used a SIIG express card 54 to firewire 400/800. (6 pin for 400, 9 pin for 800) After I took the MOTU back, I decided to trade it for a Saffire and a few other items to make up the price difference. Same results with the Saffire. So...I went and purchased a SIIG express card 34 with two 6 pin firewire ports, thinking that the 1394b drivers might br the culprit. 1394a are for the 6 pin 400mbps ports and 1394b are for the 800mbps ports. The SIIG express card 34 with two 6pin ports worked a little bit better, but is completely unuseful for digital audio.

Both the MOTU and The Saffire worked good on my Home setup. My notebook is a Compaq, (with a Sempron..I didn't buy it for audio, but I thought I'd give it a try) and today I'm receiving their digital media cable which has a firewire port built into it, but it uses a different expansion port. If this works, with the Saffire, then I know that these SIIG express cards are no good for firewire conversion. If I get the same results, well,... I need to step up to a better laptop. I'll post again tomorrow, after I try this media cable. Also, the SIIG 6pin / 9pin didn't work AT ALL with the Saffire.
    johnny 2001
    RE: 9-pin firewire port? 2006/05/23 21:04:33 (permalink)
    Hmm....

Well I still haven't purchased anything yet. The other folks I've spoken to haven't indicated problems recording via FireWire ExpressCard. One thing I have heard, is that the laptops tend to be noisy when plugged in and a lot quieter when running on the batteries. Any chance that that's the culprit? Anyone else with similar problems???
    kingdomrecordings
    RE: 9-pin firewire port? 2006/05/25 11:15:43 (permalink)
    You're right about the batteries = quieter. Actually, I found that using balanced cables to my balanced inputs on my monitors solved the noise problem. It's a grounding issue. As for the 9pin firewire, I gave it up with my laptop, and went USB with a Lexicon LambDA. After using the balanced cables with that, everythig works good for what I plan to do with it.

I kept the Saffire (firewire) and the ExpressCard 54. (400/800, 6+9 pin) I may continue to troubleshoot this issue. I'll let you know.

Keep in mind, I don't think it's the outboard gear, I think it's my own laptop. It wasn't built with a firewire controller, so to use firewire, it depends on the ExpressCard, or supposedly the All-in-one media cable which has a firewire port built in. (and that didn't work, probably because there's no host 1394 controller onboard)

I'll keep you posted with my findings.

johnny 2001
    RE: 9-pin firewire port? 2006/05/25 11:55:33 (permalink)
    Thanks so much for the update. I'm waiting awhile before purchasing any more recording toys due to budget constraints, but I do appreciate your posts. If and when I pickup a firewire expresscard, I'll post my experiences as well.

Best,
    John
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1