Cable Splits

Author
jlarsen
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12
2006/05/03 22:27:32 (permalink)

Cable Splits

I'd like to split the output of my mics, one going to my interface and the other going to a small mixer for a headphone mix.

I was wondering if it would be fine to just use Y cables, as far as impedence is concerned, and also, the issue of phantom power for condensers. Will using the phantom power on my interface give the mics the full 48v, and will that be a problem on the headphone mixer?

Thanks in advance.

Joe

2 Replies Related Threads

ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Cable Splits 2006/05/04 01:36:01 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jlarsen

I'd like to split the output of my mics, one going to my interface and the other going to a small mixer for a headphone mix.

I was wondering if it would be fine to just use Y cables, as far as impedence is concerned, and also, the issue of phantom power for condensers. Will using the phantom power on my interface give the mics the full 48v, and will that be a problem on the headphone mixer?

Thanks in advance.

Joe

You can't split the mic cable unless you have dynamic mics and a splitter box with a transformer. What you need to do is find a way to get a line level out of the mixer for the interface or the other way around.

What interface do you have and what is the make and model of the mixer ?
    jlarsen
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: Cable Splits 2006/05/04 08:48:38 (permalink)
    Its a MOTU 896. It's got the "Cue Mix" system which lets me monitor two of the inputs. The mixer is a cheap behringer. I could get enough outs on the mixer, but I would be relegated to using the Behringer preamps. I've got an ART DPS II, which gives me another two outputs for headphones, so I can make it work with four, but I was hoping it would be as simple as splitting the mic cable. Thanks.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1