Clipping Questions

Author
SurfingMusicMan
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 439
2006/05/05 15:27:23 (permalink)

Clipping Questions

These questions have been bugging for awhile but I just didn't want to show my ignorance I gues. I’ve finally broken down and am asking!

Questions:
1) From what I understand, going into the “red” on a meter doesn’t actually sound bad; it's only when the audio clips (i.e., hits the top of the meter) is there a negative effect. Is this correct?

2) From what I understand, clipping (i.e. going in the red) on a bus to which several audio tracks have been sent doesn’t have a negative effect on the sound. Is this correct?

Thanks!

17 Replies Related Threads

DonnyAir
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1201
    RE: Clipping Questions 2006/05/06 08:14:48 (permalink)
    Clipping in digital or digital "overs" (over zero) are generally considered a no-no, but there are a few things that come into play.

The first is that your meters may be lying to you, giving you a false sign as to where the "danger zone" actually resides.

You may in fact be showing "red" when you still actually have a few db of headroom; this may be a built in "safety" function of your DAW (I don't know what prog you are using so it's only a guess) that is giving you a warning..."danger-danger, Will Robinson, you are approaching clipping..."
    If you've gotten away with past clips/overs without an obvious audio rip or knock, then the above would be my guess as to why.

Different meters have different registers, and can be scaled differently as well. The db measured is most often color coded, and allows you to see where you are at in the db/headroom range. You may in fact be recording "into the red", but are falling just short of an actual clip.

In short, digital clipping is never going to give you a happy, warm sound.

You may get away with it if the peak is of a transient or very quick nature, something that happens very fast and falls off just as quickly, say a hi hat strike...this doesn't mean the clip hasn't happened, but it's happened so fast that you're not suffering any audible effects, but even so, you should do your best to avoid "overs".

Hit it hard enough and it starts to sound like a '52 Dodge with an engine knock.

FWIW
    larrymcg
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1310
    RE: Clipping Questions 2006/05/06 12:22:29 (permalink)
    I'm no expert but I'll try to add something to DonnyAir's excellent comments. And of course all of this discussion is assuming digital clipping since analog clipping acts quite differently.

To me "clipping" has nothing to do with what the meters say. Going into the red is going into the red. The result might or might not be clipped. Clipping is when the digital signal bangs up against 0db so that the waveform peaks get flattened. The peaks are flattened because the recorded signal can't actually go "over" 0db. You can easily see clipping with an audio editor and typically you can very easily hear it -- it's nasty!

It's OK for the signal to peak at 0db which is what you get if you normalize to 100%. That's a hot signal but with no flat peaks. Well, actually I've seen some issues with signals normalized to 100% That is, when played back with the Windows Media Player with SRS processing ON it sounded like the processed signal was clipping. So now I always normalize to a few db below 0db to leave room for SRS or other processing. This might just be an issue with WMP though. But I've digressed....

I once had a soundcard with some kind of problem where the recorded signal was being clipped (peaks with flat tops) at a level way below 0db. So even though the sound was not loud it certainly was awful!

--Larry

Intel Core i7-4790 @3.6GHz; 8GB; Win10 Pro 64bit; 1TB disk + 3TB ext disk; Midiman Fineline mixer; MidiSport 4x4 midi I/F; Roland JV-30 kbd/synth; Yamaha TG55 synth; Rx with 3 piece Home audio speakers; Sonar X3e Studio
    DonnyAir
    RE: Clipping Questions 2006/05/06 12:53:13 (permalink)
    Clipping is when the digital signal bangs up against 0db so that the waveform peaks get flattened.

Actually, if memory serves me correct (someone feel free to check me on this) it actually becomes a square wave signature, which is, as Larry mentioned...unpleasant, to say the least.

In analog recording, because of the S/N ratio principles involved with actual tape, there was a time when it was desireable to saturate the tape with as hot of a signal as possible, and depending on where the machine was aligned db wise and what type of tape you were using, recording up "into the red" was where a lot of cool harmonics and warmth happened, not to mention an optimum Signal to Noise ratio, and if an occasional clip happened, it generally wasn't as noticeable than in the digital realm.

Another thing we didn't touch on in regard to digital recording (whoops, looks like Larry did touch on it.. but I'll add to his post...) and that is the difference in how different (cheaper) sound cards can react. Due to the use of inexpensive circuitry, converters, etc, it's likely that the cheaper sound cards (soundblaster, etc) might be more obvious in repro of overs, or at least in the way they treat the overs/clips than say, a MOTU or M-Audio, or a device similar might.

But...that being said: technically, a clip is a clip (of course of course) and theoretically, regardless of the caliber of your audio I/O device, should be avoided.

And, you should always consider gain structure. It's an often overlooked parameter in audio...both digital and analog. If you are driving an input on a pre too hard, in relation to it's output, distortion can occur whether you actually clip the input of the card or not, although there have been times when certain people have found this desireable...

But that's another topic for another time...

D.
    post edited by DonnyAir - 2006/05/06 13:02:12
    papa2004
    Max Output Level: -10.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6475
    RE: Clipping Questions 2006/05/07 02:24:37 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: larrymcg

...So now I always normalize to a few db below 0db to leave room for SRS or other processing. This might just be an issue with WMP though. But I've digressed....

I'm of the opinion that "normalizing" should only be considered as a last resort on tracks that can't be re-recorded...Even so, if extreme clipping and/or digital distortion has already occurred, normalizing isn't going to clean it up--it's only going to lower the overall volume level of the offensive peaks...Please read on:

ORIGINAL: DonnyAir

And, you should always consider gain structure. It's an often overlooked parameter in audio...both digital and analog. If you are driving an input on a pre too hard, in relation to it's output, distortion can occur whether you actually clip the input of the card or not, although there have been times when certain people have found this desireable...

Donny is so correct on this one...This was much more critical, in some ways, in the old analog days (signal-to-noise ratios, tape hiss, etc.,...) but it is still relevant to the digital software that we use...Even though we no longer have to worry about overcoming tape hiss by recording tracks as "hot" as possible, we must still be aware of gain structure in the signal chain because improper settings affect the final product as a whole...

Example: If you're using a mic preamp with the input level set too low, you'll have to crank up the output gain to achieve a workable signal level to feed into your mixer...Not only does this introduce unnecessary noise, it's going to affect the sonic quality of your preamp's output...(As Donny pointed out, sometimes the respective settings are intentionally set improperly in order to achieve a "desired" sound, but more often than not it is desirable to trim your settings properly)...

I've posted several replies to various threads about my recording techniques...In a nutshell this is what I basically try to do:

1) Get my individual tracks recorded somewhere between -6dB to -9dB (we're in the digital domain...we don't have to worry about tape saturation or noise factors);

2) Use as little processing as possible (unless I'm shooting for a desired sound quality) on the individual tracks while I'm laying them down;

3) At the mix stage--other than vocal effects--I use subtle boosts/cuts in EQ and fader level (in addition to panning) to get the individual parts to sit well in the mix...As a general rule, I try to avoid any excessive dynamic processing (depending on the song) that could influence the overall final mix when it's time to master;

4) I try to get my mixes to sound "mastered" but not by worrying about "perceived loudness"...My mixes usually peak around -3dB which leaves a reasonable amount of headroom to be "played with" at the mastering stage;

Hope this information is somewhat helpful!

Regards,
    Papa
    SurfingMusicMan
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 439
    RE: Clipping Questions 2006/05/07 11:51:40 (permalink)
    Thanks for the replies guys. I'm still not clear on my original questions though, and now have an additional!

1) Is the definition of "clipping" just going into the red and "overs" hitting 0db? (my other questions assume this is a correct statement)
    2) Is it okay to "go in the red" on a DAW track, as long as there are no overs?
    3) Is it okay to clip and have overs on a bus to which several tracks have been sent?

BTW, I'm using SONAR.
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Clipping Questions 2006/05/07 12:23:25 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: barthowk

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm still not clear on my original questions though, and now have an additional!

1) Is the definition of "clipping" just going into the red and "overs" hitting 0db? (my other questions assume this is a correct statement)
    3) Is it okay to clip and have overs on a bus to which several tracks have been sent?

BTW, I'm using SONAR.

It depends on if the meters are accurate and if "red" means you have already clipped or you are about to. I'm thinking on a digital system it means you have already clipped and it's too late. The only way to verify is to open the clip in sound forge and use the find clipped wavforms feature or just zoom in and view the waveform to do a visual confirmation. If you zoom into the sample level and you see it's only two samples at the top with a tiny flat line between them that's not the end of the world but if it's more and you can hear distrotion with headphones the clip it blown.

However, in sound forge you can use the pencil tool to fix the clipped peaks if there are not too many of them. You just have to reduce by 2db to give yourself room to draw up. I think Sony also has a plugin that will do it for you but it's touchy. You can only fix a small selection at a time or it goes crazy. But that's a normal de-clipping job anyway if it's the whole track it's toast. The only reason I know abou the bug is that I was trying to fix a rip of Rush - Vapor Trails.. if the plugin could have laughed at me it would have...LOL !
    post edited by ohhey - 2006/05/07 12:33:47
    papa2004
    RE: Clipping Questions 2006/05/07 13:23:55 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: barthowk

BTW, I'm using SONAR.

In the digital realm, why risk even approaching a "clipping" scenario? It's never "okay" to "clip", period...Clipping (even below the digital distortion level) introduces digital artifacts to your signal...There are no reasons to exceed these limits...If your gain structure is properly configured a DAW track recorded at -12dB will have the same sonic qualities as one recorded at 0dB...You make up the difference by using selective trim level/fader settings at the mix stage...

With all due respect, Frank...you stated:

...in sound forge you can use the pencil tool to fix the clipped peaks if there are not too many of them. You just have to reduce by 2db to give yourself room to draw up. I think Sony also has a plugin that will do it for you but it's touchy. You can only fix a small selection at a time or it goes crazy...

More digital artifacts introduced...I'd prefer to get the track recorded right and not have to worry about "fixing it" with digital plugin devices...
    post edited by papa2004 - 2006/05/07 13:42:27

Regards,
    Papa
    NYSR
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1550
    RE: Clipping Questions 2006/05/07 15:39:10 (permalink)
    When Sonar indicated that something is in the red and over 0DB Sonar is lying.

Well not really. Sonar keeps it in floating point internally so it will not sound bad unless it is still over 0 db at the final output.

You can boost a signal well above 0Db at a send and then reduce it below 0DB and you will not creat unpleasantries. When dealing with floating point math you do not clip until you get to the output.

Cakewalk customer since Apprentice version 1, PreSonus 16.4.2 ai, 3.5 gHz i7

Dana DeBoer
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 35
    RE: Clipping Questions 2006/05/16 04:09:24 (permalink)
    As far as I understand, the definition of clipping would be going over 0db. In sonar the "red" starts at -6db to give you warning that you are getting close to clipping. Whether or not these meters are reading true or not is beyond me. If its "pro" level software I would sure hope they are accurate. Is there any way to test them? I did open up a couple of clips in Sound Forge and it detected no 0db clipping.

Also when I record I bounce my meter between -6db and -3db (into the red), under the assumption that I needed to record the signal as hot as possible, to allow for maximum headroom. Papa mentioned that he recoreded between -9db and -6db. Is there a difference? Is there a reason not to record as close to 0db as possible?

dana
    papa2004
    RE: Clipping Questions 2006/05/16 09:00:02 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Dana DeBoer

Is there a reason not to record as close to 0db as possible?

Quite simply because you don't have to...In the digital realm you needn't concern yourself about tape hiss and noise factors from plugins (unless you're using a lot of outboard gear)...Why risk getting close to the clipping stage when it isn't necessary? By recording at a lower level you leave your tracks plenty of headroom and, in the end, room for your mix to "breathe" dynamically...

Regards,
    Papa
    yep
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4057
    RE: Clipping Questions 2006/05/16 09:43:36 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: NYSR

When Sonar indicated that something is in the red and over 0DB Sonar is lying.

Well not really. Sonar keeps it in floating point internally so it will not sound bad unless it is still over 0 db at the final output.

You can boost a signal well above 0Db at a send and then reduce it below 0DB and you will not creat unpleasantries. When dealing with floating point math you do not clip until you get to the output.

Yeah.

Within Sonar, you can quite safely run individual tracks and busses pretty far past 0dBFS and it is virtually impossible to cause digital overs. But you have to be below 0dBFS at your hardware inputs and outputs or you'll get overs, which will cause clipping.

Cheers.
    Dana DeBoer
    RE: Clipping Questions 2006/05/16 10:12:29 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: papa2004

ORIGINAL: Dana DeBoer

Is there a reason not to record as close to 0db as possible?

Quite simply because you don't have to...In the digital realm you needn't concern yourself about tape hiss and noise factors from plugins (unless you're using a lot of outboard gear)...Why risk getting close to the clipping stage when it isn't necessary? By recording at a lower level you leave your tracks plenty of headroom and, in the end, room for your mix to "breathe" dynamically...

Doesnt turning up faders cause hiss? I know on my mixer, if i have nothing playing, and turn my fader up that i get an audible hiss.
    Sooo... It would seem to me, that if i record as close to 0db as possible, I would need to turn my fader up that much less in the mix. Thus less hiss being introduced into the mix.

What am i missing here?

dana
    DonnyAir
    RE: Clipping Questions 2006/05/16 10:34:13 (permalink)
    Doesnt turning up faders cause hiss? I know on my mixer, if i have nothing playing, and turn my fader up that i get an audible hiss.
    Sooo... It would seem to me, that if i record as close to 0db as possible, I would need to turn my fader up that much less in the mix. Thus less hiss being introduced into the mix.

Noise from a fader on a mixer , or the amount of, is largely dependant on the quality of the mixer and it's internal circuitry.

I've worked on some that were whisper quiet, and some that sounded as if I were mixing at high tide...LOL

Some boards are simply much noisier than others. If you are really getting an audible noise coming from your fader (assuming there is no hot mic or open line connected to this channel) at a "nominal" gain, then it might be your board introducing the noise that you are hearing. There are cheaper boards out there that are in fact noisy in this way, inherantly. Cheaper parts, circuitry, and other corner cutting to keeo the cost down does have it's side effects.

What model sound card are you using?
    What model board are you using?
    When you hear the noise, at what level are you monitoring?
    Is this channel a "closed" channel, meaning no mic or line is connected to it?
    How is your gain/trim set? Is it minimal or maxed out?
    What is your gain structure doing? Are you maxed out on an input and shy on an out, or vice versa?

It is a signal to noise (SNR) issue, and headroom and gain are important factors in any signal path, but there's a lot that goes on between the in's and the out's, that can effect said signal...is all I'm saying.

More info needed....

D.
    Dana DeBoer
    RE: Clipping Questions 2006/05/16 10:45:29 (permalink)
    My sound card is a tascam us 428.
    My board is a AH Mixwiz 16:2
    When I hear this noise it is on a channel that has my sound cards outs running into it. With nothing playing. I generally have the tascam volume riding about 25%, the track volume aproximately -18 - -12db, and if i turn the master faders up reaching 0db i start hearing a hiss. I have also heard this hiss on my friends mackie which is probably an open circuit. Im going to do some further testing on my AH to see what a closed circuit will do.

I really wasnt trying to trouble shoot my system. but... since there are boards and sound cards that arent whisper quite are you going to introduce more noise into your mix if you record near 0db, if you have an inferior component?

dana
    DonnyAir
    RE: Clipping Questions 2006/05/16 11:24:41 (permalink)
    since there are boards and sound cards that arent whisper quite are you going to introduce more noise into your mix if you record near 0db, if you have an inferior component?

Most certainly, Dana.

Your signal fidelity is only as good as the device(s) you run it through, and your mixer and SC's are major players in this schematic.

Now.. I am NOT saying that your mixer is a bad one...to the contrary, Allen Heath has always been known to be a solid mixer manufcturer, and Tascam has always been solid, for the most part, as well. But even these manufacturers are not immune to having devices with problems...because no manufacturer is.

Just asking here...

have you tried switching inputs/channels on your mixer where your audio device's output is connected?
    Are you still hearing this noise if you unplug your soundcard's connection to your mixer and replace it with, say, a synth, or a CD player, or other device instead?
    Are you hearing this noise if you unplug everything from that channel on your mixer?
    Have you had any other noticeable problems from your audio I/O device (clicks, pops, hum?)
    Are you hearing this while monitoring through NF's, or headphones, or both?

While I'm certainly familiar with the manufacturers you've mentioned, I am not personally familiar with the models you mentioned, perhaps someone else here could jump in if I've missed a diagnostic point...
    Dana DeBoer
    RE: Clipping Questions 2006/05/16 11:47:26 (permalink)
    Donny,

I will indeed go and check things out abit more. This mixer I have had awesome reviews for having good preamps. So I would assume that if you have a good preamp it is necessarily going to be a quite preamp.
    I actually was surprised to hear this hiss coming form them. My guess is it's probably from my tascam. I will get back with you on that after a bit of fooling.

dana
    DonnyAir
    RE: Clipping Questions 2006/05/16 12:23:25 (permalink)
    Just to sum it up to help you diag in the right direction...

unplug the SC from your mixer channel. Monitor the same way you did when you heard the noise.

Is the noise still there? If so, the problem is most likely with your mixer, or at the least a channel in the mixer.

If the noise stops, then it could be your SC... but let's make sure...

If the noise stops when you unplug all connections from the channel, try plugging in another device, say, a synth... set your volume on the synth at about 50%... but don't play it. Do you still hear the noise?

If you do, check one more time by substituting the synth with something like a CD player, or even a rack mount FX unit at minimum gain.

If you are still hearing the noise, change channels, and set the new channel to as close as possible to the channel settings you were having problems with.

Connect your SC to this new channel..

If the noise is gone, it's likely the old channel you were using for this function. If the noise is still there, and wasn't with other devices like synths or CD players, it's the soundcard.

But don't rule out the little things that are easy to overlook... faulty cables, another open channel that is hot, etc.

Diagnosis in this case is best done when it's done step by step without changing any of the settings on the channel, just connections. It will help you narrow it down.

I don't think I've left anything out, but if I have inadvertantly, please, someone feel free to jump in here.

D.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1