HELP! MC3 Line-in recording!

Author
donut2790
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7
2006/05/07 14:09:52 (permalink)

HELP! MC3 Line-in recording!

I just got MC3 and I'm going crazy! I want to record using line-in instead of mic for better sound quality. Guitar>Amp>Line-In
I can hear my guitar coming through my speakers and it sounds great but when I use the mic input it overdrives and sounds cruddy. I know there has to be a way to record using line-in!

Ahhh!

Thank you in advance

15 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: HELP! MC3 Line-in recording! 2006/05/07 17:07:00 (permalink)
    Your message has me confused. are you saying that you can only RECORD in MC using MIC IN and NOT line in? And that you can HEAR your guitar thru the line in, but can't RECORD that way? Your message didn't really SAY that, I'm guessing that's what you mean. You also didn't give us any information about your equipment (especially your sound card).

If so, it should be a simple matter of some settings on your MC. First, check in OPTIONS>AUDIO>DRIVERS and make sure that your sound card's LINE IN is selected in the INPUTS section. If it IS selected, then you need to go to your TRACK view and verify that your INPUT to your AUDIO track states that you want to record from the LINE IN of your sound card and NOT from the MIC in.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    donut2790
    RE: HELP! MC3 Line-in recording! 2006/05/07 17:29:55 (permalink)
    Sorry about that. My sound card is just an AC97 type. What happens is i can hear my guitar through my speakers when I have it plugged into the line-in as well as the mic input. The problem is, I can only record with the mic input. When I check my drivers it has nVidia nForce Audio selected and that all it says for input. If I open a new audio track and click Input it just has Stereo nVidia nForce Audio/left and right justified and nothing else. The only thing I can think of is either I'm somehow missing an option on MC or my soundcard won't support it. I've used Line-In recoring with other programs and it has worked fine though. Hmmm [sm=rolleyes.gif]
    Beagle
    RE: HELP! MC3 Line-in recording! 2006/05/07 17:39:39 (permalink)
    Your sound card is an onboard motherboard card which shares the resources of the RAM and PCI bus and processor. Once you get the inputs recording you're most likely going to have latency associated with this card...but that's another subject.

If the line input is not showing up in the input for MC, I'm not sure how to force it to look for it. you could try using a different driver type, but I'm not sure that will solve the problem. Go to OPTIONS>AUDIO>ADVANCED and look at the section called PLAYBACK AND RECORDING>DRIVER MODE. You are probably using MME - change it to WDM and see if that helps, but honestly I have doubts that it will help with this problem. You'll need to run the WAVE PROFILER AGAIN and will have to restart MC.

donut2790
    RE: HELP! MC3 Line-in recording! 2006/05/07 17:47:42 (permalink)
    Darn. Didn't work =| I changed it to WDM and it didn't work. If you think maybe a different soundcard would fix the problem, do you know of a good cheap one?
    Beagle
    RE: HELP! MC3 Line-in recording! 2006/05/07 21:04:04 (permalink)
    I have recently talked to someone else who had an onboard sound card which could not get the line in to work. He could record using the mic in, but that doesn't do him any good with a bass. We tried several things including the things that I've told you above and nothing worked. the last thing he was going to try was to go buy a cheap SB card from Wally world or BB. I'm not saying that your on board card won't do what you need it to...there may be others here on this forum that could get it to work for you where I can't.

Having said that, on board sound cards are NOT ideal for DAW work anyway. For that matter, neither are *cheap* or SB cards for that matter (for what he wanted to do - a cheap card suits his purpose).

You can get a cheap Sound Blaster card for ~$30 (you might could find one for less). If that will suit your purpose, and you can't get the on board card to work, then go for it.

If you are wanting a little more quality out of your recordings, you'll need to step up to something along the lines of $100-$200 depending on your needs.

I'll give you more info on those if you want, but right now you asked about cheap ones and the cheapest SB card should answer that for you.

donut2790
    RE: HELP! MC3 Line-in recording! 2006/05/07 21:15:45 (permalink)
    Thank you for your help so far! =) I found an old Philips soundcard but I don't have the software for it/it's pretty old. Haha, I tried getting the drivers for it but I haven't had any luck actually getting it to work. I mostly just wanna mess around, maybe record a few things, nothin' too major so maybe a 30 dollar card would be good for me. Here's what happened today: I was at Staples with a friend of mine and they had MC for 15 bucks so I had to get it. I had used it before in a class at school and it was great so I figured it would work fine for me. I wasn't really planning on getting any type of recording equipment or anything now. I'm going to be taking a music technology class next year and if I like it enough I was thinking of saving up for a Mac Mini to do some recording on. Phew! That's a lot to read lol
    Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: HELP! MC3 Line-in recording! 2006/05/08 00:12:06 (permalink)
    Go to the start/ control panel and find sound and audio devices, then go to audio and volume make sure that the line in is not muted.

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    donut2790
    RE: HELP! MC3 Line-in recording! 2006/05/08 15:09:35 (permalink)
    Tried that awhile ago didn't work It's not muted, I can hear it but MC won't recognize line-in =|

Would a soundcard solve the problem?
    Rocstx
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 204
    RE: HELP! MC3 Line-in recording! 2006/05/08 16:03:03 (permalink)
    Hey gang how are you all doing?? I have some input on this subject. I had the same type of problem, and the same onboard soundcard/AC97. I went out and purchased a the Sound Blaster Live 24 Bit External Sound Card. I have had zero troubles like you are describing since I hooked the new sound card up. I also would like to share with some of you, that you might want to check into the sound blaster thing a bit more, before rating it as a low end recording card . After a few basic bugs that you guys helped me work out(thanks), I have been able to put out some very high quality recordings/cds using the SB live external card. I am not looking for any type of arguement from anyone, I just don't want you people to have to spend all of this extra dough on another type of high end sound card if you can get away with it for much cheaper. I spent $50 for the SB live 24 bit card. Like I said no arguement intended here, just sharing what I have learned so far.
    Take it easy,
    Jim
    Beagle
    RE: HELP! MC3 Line-in recording! 2006/05/08 16:34:55 (permalink)
    Jim - I am happy that you have gotten great results out of the SB live external. I have one of them at home sitting on my desk that I am NOT happy with myself.

But it really depends on each individual whether the SB cards are worth the money or not and what each one wants to do with it. For some, the SB card will be just what they need. for others, tho, it won't. that's why I don't recommend them as a general rule. if I were to recommend an SB card to someone and it turned out a bad experience (like it was for me!), then I would be blamed for that person wasting their money on something I recommended. That's why I always recommend the m-audio (which I use currently) and the EMU (which I am pretty confident of because of what I've read by others in these forums).

But, honestly! If you like the sound you're getting, then I think that's GREAT!

Robomusic
    RE: HELP! MC3 Line-in recording! 2006/05/09 01:54:30 (permalink)
    The 24 bit SB cards are very decent and a cut above anything that comes in a computer these days, loads of people use them, and there are some obvious advantages, like the ability to load a nice set of sound fonts into them. but if you ever go with a top Prosumer card you will hear the difference. the E-MU stuff is quite frankly built by a company owned by Sound Blaster. The issue with the SB cards is that they do not put their best convertors in the SB cards, and they do not have top notch PreAmps, but again for the money they will give you some very nice results.

Music Town
    donut2790
    RE: HELP! MC3 Line-in recording! 2006/05/09 18:33:34 (permalink)
    I've been checking out a few cards. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829102002

Does that look like it'll work well?
    Robomusic
    RE: HELP! MC3 Line-in recording! 2006/05/10 01:42:24 (permalink)
    Sure it will work.

Music Town
    donut2790
    RE: HELP! MC3 Line-in recording! 2006/05/10 18:55:39 (permalink)
    I did a little bit more searching and found this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829117108 Seem any better than the other one? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829102002 By the way, thanks for your help guys! =)
    Robomusic
    RE: HELP! MC3 Line-in recording! 2006/05/10 21:23:57 (permalink)
    Go with the Sound blaster card, the other one has no track record in recording. I will say if this is the budget right now, then get the SB, if you can save a bit longer wait and get either a M-Audio 2/96 or a E-MU 0404 both are at musicians friend for $99 and are very solid and will take you to the next level and not need upgrade for a long time.

Music Town
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1