Mogami Cables?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
jcschild
Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3409
RE: Mogami Cables? 2006/05/17 09:35:05 (permalink)
a vote for Zaolla!

Scott
ADK
jacktheexcynic
Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3069
RE: Mogami Cables? 2006/05/17 18:40:19 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: OnlyOneMiLLz

Who in here has Mogami or Monster(top grade ones) cables and if so do they make a big difference in sound?
Are they worth it?

The reason I'm asking is b\c I'm about to buy all new cables and right now I'm looking at $300.

i was quite lucky to have bought mogami 1/4" t.r.s. cables probably by accident one day off of musicians friend. what i like about them:

1. they aren't hugely thick like monster cable (more flexible)
2. they are reasonably priced (unlike monster cable)
3. they are good quality
4. they have these colored rubber bands which you can use to color code your cable (red, white, yellow, blue)

since i went from unbalanced/sblive to balanced mogami/echo mia midi i can't say how much effect the cables have but they seem to be dead quiet. my noise floor in sonar (with a mackie 1202vlz mixer, all channels at zero, main out at 1/2 volume) hovers around -89db.

- jack the ex-cynic
kfischer
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 452
RE: Mogami Cables? 2006/05/18 22:15:21 (permalink)
Okay - one more post. What the heck.

I have a ton of Monster cables. I like them plenty. Perhaps I was naive and spent extra on them, but the results over my $5 gigging cables was enough to improve my recordings.

That said, I recently bought my first Mogami and am impressed. As good or better quality and less bucks. Hard to go wrong there.

Live and learn.
OnlyOneMiLLz
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 177
RE: Mogami Cables? 2006/05/18 22:45:21 (permalink)
Thankz again
stratton
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1446
RE: Mogami Cables? 2006/05/19 15:25:57 (permalink)
I haven't compared my Monster mic cables to Mogami or Canare because the ones I bought 11 years ago are all still performing flawlessly after service in a live PA rig that saw hundreds of shows, and now many, many hours in my studio.

Heres a little anecdote. I was doing FOH for a pretty good cover band. They were nice people who thought they were doing me a favor by setting up thier own mics, stands and cables. We were just getting to know each other so I didn't insist on using my cables. I didn 't want to be Mean Soundguy.

At soundcheck the lead singer told me that she couldn't hear herself and that she was straining. Bad news. I already had 2, 500W monitors pointed at her. I told her I'd work on it.

Midway through the first tune, she looks at me, points to her ear and shakes her head no. CRAP. What can I do? I looked back at her and said OK and raised my hand to indicate that I got the message. Then, after the song was over, I grabbed one of my Monster cables and replaced the cable on her mic with the Monster.

It was the audio equivalent of a beam of light breaking through the clouds. She sounded clear and crisp through the mains, and she could finally hear herself through the monitors. In front of the crowd she gave me a big thank you, and then with a withering look turned to her husband, the bass player and said, "I thought you told me that cables didn't make any difference!?"

Monster the company creates a lot of bad press for themselves for their strongarm trademark tactics and pseudo science claims, but Monster the cable has a permanent place in my equipment list.

On with the show.....
post edited by stratton - 2006/05/19 15:35:54
lazarous
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1461
RE: Mogami Cables? 2006/05/19 15:42:10 (permalink)
Monster the company creates a lot of bad press for themselves for their strongarm trademark tactics and pseudo science clamis, but Monster the cable has a permanent place in my equipment list.

Nice story, Stratton. I'm really glad you've had such good luck with them over the years. Here's my story about Monster Cables:

#1: I provide consulting help to a youth center that has live youth bands every Friday/Saturday night, 3 per evening. One of the parents did us a "favor" when we installed the upgraded sound system, and purchased all new Monster speaker cables for the subs.

I've replaced both of the 1/4" ends on them with a heavy duty Neutrick male end, as the Monsters both disintegrated INSIDE THE JACK, while connected, when someone accidentally kicked the speaker. Remember, these are non-moving jacks, most of the time. Happened within three months of installation.

#2: Running sound at a club, the headlining guitar player plugs all his pedals in during change over. One pedal is buzzing to beat the band. Pull it out of the chain, problem solved. Put it back, freaking out. Turns out the end of a Monster 1/4" jack is stuck inside rattling around. Broke the night before when he was tearing down from their gig.

#3: I'm at a show getting ready to play. Benefit, 9 bands in 8 hours. Owner of a popular club has contracted cancer, and we were one of the more popular bands to play there for a number of years, so they ask us for a reunion show. We're in the middle. Set up my rig, NOTHING coming out of my rig. I can see the meters moving on the preamp, but no signal getting to the power amp (I play bass). Pull the 1/4" jack out of the amp, looks fine. Pull it out of the preamp, and, you guessed it, fell to pieces in my hands. Tip, still stuck inside. Swap cables, different output, the show goes on.

I spent about 4 hours cutting the ends off every Monster cable I own, replacing them with Neutrik or Switchcraft ends.

F-monster. I haven't touched it ON PURPOSE since. The wire seems to be fine (if unweildy), and maybe, MAYBE their mic cables are ok, but I ain't letting a 1/4" cable near my gear ever again.

YMMV. I'm a bitter, bitter man! lol Three strikes, you're out.

Corey

Ath 64 3500+
MSI K8N N2 Plat ATX 939 Mobo
2Gb DDR2 400
RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652
UAD1 4.2
WinXP Pro SP2
Sonar 8.3PE
New Henry and Buster episodes available!
stratton
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1446
RE: Mogami Cables? 2006/05/19 15:55:15 (permalink)
I spent about 4 hours cutting the ends off every Monster cable I own, replacing them with Neutrik or Switchcraft ends.

F-monster. I haven't touched it ON PURPOSE since. The wire seems to be fine (if unweildy), and maybe, MAYBE their mic cables are ok, but I ain't letting a 1/4" cable near my gear ever again.

YMMV. I'm a bitter, bitter man! lol Three strikes, you're out.

I'm glad you liked the story. I have a little time on my hands today..

BTW, this story could translate to ANY premium grade cable used vs. the bargain bin cables that are so tempting to buy when you have to buy 20 of them.

I have no experience with Monster's 1/4" connectors. Good thing, I guess.

I don't blame you one bit for not using Monster anymore. For the premium one pays for their product, the connectors should be rock solid (FWIW, all my XLRs are..) And, Monster isn't the only game in town.

Ken

lazarous
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1461
RE: Mogami Cables? 2006/05/19 16:01:13 (permalink)
I don't blame you one bit for not using Monster anymore. For the premium one pays for their product, the connectors should be rock solid (FWIW, all my XLRs are..)

Exactly my feelings. I've never used their XLR's. Pretty sure I won't, but 10 years of use is pretty telling... sounds like they got THOSE right, at least.

And, Monster isn't the only game in town.

Ain't THAT the truth!

Corey
post edited by lazarous - 2006/05/19 16:09:52

Ath 64 3500+
MSI K8N N2 Plat ATX 939 Mobo
2Gb DDR2 400
RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652
UAD1 4.2
WinXP Pro SP2
Sonar 8.3PE
New Henry and Buster episodes available!
Paul G
Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2334
RE: Mogami Cables? 2006/05/19 21:53:42 (permalink)
We had this same discussion a year or so back and when I mentioned that I had been using Belden 8412 for years, no one talked to me for a long time! LOL

Seriously though, I quit buying the cheep stuff thirty years ago! Buying quality cable is a good investment.

HTH

Paul

Intel i7-4790K, Win7 Pro, 16GB Ram
1TB OS, 2TB Audio, 1TB Samples
Focusrite Scarlett 6i6
Cakewalk by Bandlab
Paul Robert Glaser
The Brothers Glaser
SoundClick
mojoblues
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 110
RE: Mogami Cables? 2006/05/20 22:37:26 (permalink)
Glad I saw this post , I was just looking for some bulk Mogami cable , so I ordered myself a 500 ft role and a bunch of Neutrik connectors .

Mojo Mike...
Keep The Blues Alive
2 Firepod's
Mackie 24 8 BUS
3.0ghzP4, 1Meg Ram
Sonar 4.0
Dual 19inch nec monitors
4 Presonus Eurekas
2 DBX 166 XL
Pair Event SP 8's
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: