Mixing/mastering suggestions?

Author
Mushiman
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12
2006/05/07 16:43:29 (permalink)

Mixing/mastering suggestions?

Hi all,

I've recorded a song in Sonar and i've attempted it mix it, but i've gotten lost in it.

Can some of you have a listen to it, and tell me any suggestions for making it sound more polished.

If anyone wants to have a stab at mixing it, i can possibly send wavs or a bundle file, but there's alot of tracks...

Here's the link, the song is called 'Arena'
Cheers
post edited by Mushiman - 2006/05/07 16:57:45

I could go on and on, but lets continue shall we?

3 Replies Related Threads

NYSR
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1550
    RE: Mixing/mastering suggestions? 2006/05/08 10:29:08 (permalink)
    You are obviously a guitar player. All musicians (myself included) suffer from the illusion that their instrument is far more essential to the overall mix than it is. I'd pull back all the distorted guitars a touch (3 to 4 db) and allow the drums and bass to take a slightly more prominant role. Other than that it is not a bad mix. The secret to being both a good musician and a good mix engineer is to appreciate the temptations to give into the illusions. Just as there are optical illusions so theri are sonic illusions. The more intimately familiar you are with an instrument the more its nuances are painful to miss. But a good mix invloves missing several nuances that must get lost in the mix in order for it to all fit in.

It is hard for any musician to realize that a good mix does not involve as clear a representation of the nuances of their performance as they wish could survive.

Master that difficult concept and you are on your way to being a terrific mix engineer of your own stuff.

Cakewalk customer since Apprentice version 1, PreSonus 16.4.2 ai, 3.5 gHz i7

Daves Skunkworks
    RE: Mixing/mastering suggestions? 2006/05/08 21:35:36 (permalink)
    I whole heartedly agree with NYSR that musicians tend to favor their instrument. That is why I don't like listening to professional vocalists' recordings...they pay $500 per minute for the best backup musicians in the industry then turn them way down. When you are mixing a song, you have to consider the song foremost and not any instrument. When you are equalizing anything in the mix, this is especially true. My first attempt at this was a horrible failure becuase I (who am a guitarist) equalized the guitar track until it sounded perfect all by itself then did the same for each individual track. My friends didn't like it becuase they couldn't hear the vocals, and the instructor didn't like it becuase he could tell I didn't listen to the tracks together when I was equalizing. Humbling, but a good learning experience.
    Dave
    Mushiman
    RE: Mixing/mastering suggestions? 2006/05/11 07:17:50 (permalink)
    Thanks for the advice guys, i've took that on board, and i'm really happy with the mix i've just finished!!

Please check it out and tell me what you think. Nervehammer - Arena

On a side note, a local nightclub dj likes the song and said he'll play it for us, so my mix needed to sound better!

Any comments welcome....

I could go on and on, but lets continue shall we?
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1