Late Night help-Is there anyone out there willing to help a newbie

Author
tmnader
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 140
2006/05/11 00:57:53 (permalink)

Late Night help-Is there anyone out there willing to help a newbie

My God, I just can't seem to grasp this. I am seeking a wiseman to help me.

My set-up: Windows Xp, Mackie Onyx 1620 firewire, Sonar 3.0, Reason 3.0. I do not have a midi in/out hardware.

I am trying to record in Sonar, rex loops played out of Dr. Rex plug-in in Reason. I do not have a midi controller set-up and was told I do not need one because I just want to play the loops from Dr. Rex. I essentially want to record in real time the loops and play my bass along with it. In the end, I want to convert the midi rex loop to audio and mix it down with my bass.
Here is how I am currently doing it.
1)Insert-rewire-reason
2)Check boxes in dialog box Midi source track, first synth output, synth prop page, & synth rack view.
3) Two tracks are created (1) dx reason mix L/R and (2) reason midi
4) (1) dx reason track has input set to reason L/R and omni asio driver L (output channel of my Mackie)
5) (2) reason midi track has input set to omni and output set to 1-reason. The icon next to R is purple.
6) I arm the reason midi track and press the record circle icon at the top
7) start the rex loop in Dr. Rex
I hear the loop playing and the sound meter in dx reason track is registering but nothing is recording. What in the heck am I doing wrong?

15 Replies Related Threads

michael japan
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5252
    RE: Late Night help-Is there anyone out there willing to help a newbie 2006/05/11 01:03:33 (permalink)
    definitely willing to help but have never used reason. I'm sure someone knowledgeable will pipe up--hang on.
    post edited by michael japan - 2006/05/11 06:16:39

Windows 10/64 bit/i7-6560U/SSD/16GB RAM/Cakelab/Sonar Platinum/Pro Tools/Studio 1/Studio 192/DP88/MOTU AVB/Grace M101/AKG Various/Blue Woodpecker/SM81x2/Yamaha C1L Grand Piano/CLP545/MOX88/MOTIF XS Rack Rack/MX61/Korg CX3/Karma/Scarbee EP88s/ Ivory/Ravenscroft Piano/JBL4410/NS10m/Auratones/Omnisphere/Play Composers Selection/Waves/Komplete Kontrol
    MArwood
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1816
    RE: Late Night help-Is there anyone out there willing to help a newbie 2006/05/11 01:43:11 (permalink)
    You don't have to have an audio track because it is a soft synth. If you really need audio for some reason all you have to do is to freeze the synth in the synth rack. It will create the audio track. An easiest way might be to load the Sonar RXP player and use it. You will only have to export audio with either of these to get final mix. Most of the time you really do not need the audio. You can add EQ and other effects to these tracks with no audio visible, just insert them on the synth output track.
    Max Arwood

edit (Spelling)
    post edited by MArwood - 2006/05/11 01:51:48
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4951
    RE: Late Night help-Is there anyone out there willing to help a newbie 2006/05/11 01:49:31 (permalink)
    did you not read my response to your other thread? freezing the reason track will commit it to an
    audio track.

jeff
    MArwood
    RE: Late Night help-Is there anyone out there willing to help a newbie 2006/05/11 02:36:53 (permalink)
    did you not read my response to your other thread? freezing the reason track will commit it to an
    audio track.

Yes too many threads can be corn.fusing!
    Max Arwood
    tmnader
    RE: Late Night help-Is there anyone out there willing to help a newbie 2006/05/11 09:58:31 (permalink)
    Good point about the multiple threads I will keep it to one. I guess I just did not know how to freeze a synth. I will look it up and hopefully this ordeal will be over for me.
    bermuda
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: Late Night help-Is there anyone out there willing to help a newbie 2006/05/11 12:02:52 (permalink)
    You are using Sonar 3, which has no freeze feature directly, but you can achieve the equivalent through bouncing

Yes.
    Jesse G
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4282
    RE: Late Night help-Is there anyone out there willing to help a newbie 2006/05/11 12:46:19 (permalink)
    Can't you create the loops in sonar and then rewire reason with Sonar and transfer the tracks to Sonar ?

I haven't worked with Reason in a while, but I recall performing rwiring certain parts I wanted.

Taken from the Reason Site

Sonar Versions
    This description is based on Sonar version 2.0 and up for Windows. Sonar

Launching and quitting
    When using ReWire, the order in which you launch and quit the two programs is very important:

1. First launch Sonar.

2. Insert a Reason Device from the Insert menu.
    See "Activating ReWire channels" below for details.

3. Launch Reason.
    It may take slightly longer for Reason to start when you are using ReWire.

Depending on the operating system and your setup, you may get a warning saying that the MIDI inputs couldn’t be opened. This has nothing to do with ReWire in itself, it’s just that the mixer application may have “grabbed” the MIDI interface already. Since you can route MIDI to Reason via ReWire, this is not a problem. Simply click OK to continue the launch.

When you are finished, you also need to quit the applications in a special order:

1. First quit Reason.

2. Then quit Sonar.

Routing Audio

Activating ReWire channels
    ReWire2 supports 256 audio channels. Reason has 64 audio channels available. In Sonar, you can specify which of the available channels you want to use:

1. Pull down the Insert menu and select Reason from the ReWire Device sub-menu.

You can set the following options in the dialog:

Create MIDI Source Track
    If ticked, this option will create a new MIDI track named "Reason".
    First Synth Output
    If ticked, this option will create a new audio track that uses the first output of Reason as the input. This would select Reason's Mix L&R outputs for the new track.
    All Synths Outputs
    This options automatically creates audio tracks for each ReWire channel available in Reason, and sets the input for each track to the corresponding channel.
    You also have the option of opening Reason from within Sonar by checking the "Synth Property Page" box in the dialog.
    By doing so, Reason will launch when you click OK in the dialog.
    2. When you have finished making settings in the dialog, click OK.
    Whatever options you set in the dialog, you have now activated Reason as a ReWire device in Sonar.

3. Launch Reason if you didn't select to launch it in the previous dialog.

4. If you now open the "In" pop-up for an audio track, the ReWire application will now be available on the menu, with the application's ReWire channels listed on the sub-menu.
    Selecting a channel will direct the output from the synth application to the selected track. Repeat this step for all the ReWire channels you wish to use in Sonar.

How the ReWire channels are handled in Sonar
    When you activate ReWire channels for audio tracks in Sonar, they will become available as channel strips in the Sonar Console. ReWire channels have the same functionality as regular audio channels. This means you can set volume and pan, add Send Effects etc.

Preparations for routing audio from Reason
    When you route audio from Reason to Sonar, you make use of the Hardware Interface at the top of the rack. Basically, each output in the Hardware Interface is connected to a separate ReWire channel. Therefore:

To take full advantage of the mixing features in Sonar you need to connect the different Reason devices directly to the Hardware Interface.
    For example, if your Reason Song contains eight different instrument devices and you connect these to separate inputs on the Hardware Interface, they will appear on separate ReWire channels in Sonar. You can then use the mixing facilities in Sonar to adjust volume and pan, add effects and equalizing etc. - individually for each Reason device!
    If you instead connect all your Reason devices via a Mixer to the stereo input pair on the Hardware Interface, all sounds will appear mixed on a single ReWire stereo channel pair. While this works perfectly fine, you won't be able to mix and process the devices separately in Sonar.

Using the transport and tempo controls

When you run ReWire, the transports in the two programs are completely linked. It doesn't matter in which program you Play, Stop, Fast Forward or Rewind. However, recording is still completely separate in the two applications.

Loop settings

The Loop in Reason will be completely linked to the loop set in Sonar. This means that you can move the start and end point for the loop or turn the loop on or off in either program, and this will be reflected in the other.

Tempo settings

As far as tempo goes, Sonar is always the Master. This means that both programs will run in the tempo set in Sonar.

However, if the project you are working with in Sonar does not incorporate any programmed tempo changes, you can adjust the tempo in either program, and this will immediately be reflected in the other.

Routing MIDI via ReWire2

Reason will automatically appear on the MIDI Output pop-up menus for MIDI tracks in Sonar. If you select Reason as the MIDI output the separate channels will be available on the MIDI "Ch" menu. This allows you to play Reason devices via MIDI from Sonar, using it as one or several separate MIDI sound sources.

An example - routing MIDI to Reason

The following description shows how to direct MIDI to devices in Reason using Sonar as the host application:

1. In Sonar, select a MIDI track that you want to route to a device in Reason.

2. Pull down the MIDI Output menu for the track, and select Reason.

3. Select a Reason device from the "Ch" pop-up menu.
    The output of the MIDI track is now routed to that device.

If you now play back a MIDI part on the track, the MIDI notes will be sent to the Reason device - just as if the track were connected to any regular MIDI sound source.
    The sound of the device will be sent back into Sonar via ReWire - which channel it will appear on depends on how you have routed the device to the Hardware Interface in Reason, as discussed above.
    Due to the way ReWire has been implemented in Sonar, a maximum of 16 Reason MIDI outputs are available. This means that only the first 16 Reason devices - in the order they were created - will be available on Sonar's MIDI Output menu.

Rendering Audio
    Most often, there is no need to convert individual ReWire channels to regular audio tracks! The channels already appear in the host application's Mixer, and you can typically perform the same kind of real-time processing as with regular audio channels (effects, EQ, volume, pan and mute automation, etc.).

Still, you may need to convert the ReWire channels to audio tracks, for example if you want to continue working in Sonar only, or simply to mix down all tracks including any ReWire channels to a single file. To render ReWire channels to audio tracks in Sonar, you would proceed as follows:

1. Make sure your synthesizer application plays back properly via ReWire.

2. In Sonar, mute all tracks that you don't wish to bounce down (render) to an audio file.
    When you play back you should only hear the ReWire channel(s), including any effects and/or processing added in Sonar. What you hear is exactly what you will get in the resulting file.

Note that if you unmute all ReWire channels, you will not be able to process these channels individually using the file produced by the Bounce operation.
    This is not a problem if the objective is to capture the total sound played back via the ReWire channels. But if you wish to preserve the individual ReWire channels instead of mixing them down to a single file, you can perform a bounce separately for each individual ReWire channel.
    3. Pull down the Edit menu in Sonar and select "Bounce to Track(s)" from the Export submenu.
    The Bounce to Track(s) dialog appears, where you can choose a destination track and file format. The destination track can be an existing track or a new (automatically created) track

4. Activate (tick) all the "Mix Enables" options.

5. Click OK.
    The resulting file will appear on the audio track selected in the Bounce to Track(s) dialog

6. Before playing back the new file, mute the original track(s) playing the ReWire channels.

If you now play back the audio track you will hear exactly what was played on the ReWire channel.
    This means you should keep the ReWire channels muted (or deactivated) now, since otherwise you would hear the sound twice - once via ReWire and once from the audio track.
    Converting ReWire channels this way results in a number of audio files that can be very large (depending on the length of the song). Make sure you have enough disk space!

Peace,
    Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
    ==============================
    Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
    tmnader
    RE: Late Night help-Is there anyone out there willing to help a newbie 2006/05/11 15:22:39 (permalink)
    bermuda-thanks for the heads up on the no freeze function in Sonar. I most likely would wasted an hour trying to find it. Jesse G thanks for the info I can't wait to get out of work and try at it home. My question for right now is when I am recording the reason through rewire will I be seeing a wave form created like I would if it was an audio track?
    bermuda
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: Late Night help-Is there anyone out there willing to help a newbie 2006/05/11 15:58:15 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: tmnader

bermuda-thanks for the heads up on the no freeze function in Sonar. I most likely would wasted an hour trying to find it. Jesse G thanks for the info I can't wait to get out of work and try at it home. My question for right now is when I am recording the reason through rewire will I be seeing a wave form created like I would if it was an audio track?

Sonar 4.0 onward has freeze...

Yes.
    dudemanjch
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 584
    RE: Late Night help-Is there anyone out there willing to help a newbie 2006/05/11 16:12:45 (permalink)
    if you are just playing with the loops, why not export the reason song as audio file, then load that into Sonar?

it will save you from dealing w/ rewire.

Debut Album, all in SONAR!

Listen:
    Soundclick
    MySpace

Support:
    Facebook Fan Page

Purchase:
    iTunes
    Amazon.com
    MArwood
    RE: Late Night help-Is there anyone out there willing to help a newbie 2006/05/11 16:12:50 (permalink)
    Thanks for catching that!
    Max Arwood
    tmnader
    RE: Late Night help-Is there anyone out there willing to help a newbie 2006/05/11 16:30:56 (permalink)
    If I export Reason Loop file into Sonar will it continue to play as a loop for an infinite amount of time? I basically want to load up one of these loops from Reason (Dr. Rex) and then have my band play along with the loop and record it live. In our sessions, I like to rip through different loops and let them experiment. I have it in my head that to export into Reason without using re-wire I would have to record the loop for certain amount of time in Reason then load into Sonar as an audio track. I am new to the whole loop reason thing and may be completely off on this.
    tmnader
    RE: Late Night help-Is there anyone out there willing to help a newbie 2006/05/11 16:32:18 (permalink)
    sorry I mean export into Sonar
    Jesse G
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4282
    RE: Late Night help-Is there anyone out there willing to help a newbie 2006/05/11 17:10:57 (permalink)
    Try any one of these.

1. Rewire Reasin into Sonar and then bounce all tracks to show in Sonar tracks view. If ypu record in Reason, Sonaw will not display the wave form because while in reason, you are recording only in reasos but can bust and mixdown the entire recording in Sonar.

2. Record in reason and export out as a wave file. Import the wave file into Sonar, to the audio track of choice, or use Sonar file explorer and drag the wave file to the track and location inside of Sonar. You will be able to streatch the loop across measures to have it repeat it'self over and over again.

If you attempt to drag the file across measures in sonar and it's doesn't work, highlight the loop and hold down CTRL + press L . I will work now. Youw can also copy and past the loop clip over and over it you desire, but dragging it is better.

Peace

Peace,
    Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
    ==============================
    Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
    tmnader
    RE: Late Night help-Is there anyone out there willing to help a newbie 2006/05/11 22:16:26 (permalink)
    Well I tried all suggestions and I still can not record the Reason rewire track in Sonar. I followed all steps, I am able to get a level reading on dx track but nothing records on midi track. I have wasted too much time and I am extremely pissed and have lost my desire create music for now. I just can not believe it has to be so complicated to record some soft synths. I have taken too much time of the forum on this. Thanks everyone for trying.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1