Recording Acoustic guitar & Vocals together

Author
lhansen
Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4765
2006/05/11 09:58:38 (permalink)

Recording Acoustic guitar & Vocals together

I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this. I want to sing & play acoustic guitar at the same time and record it as well. I have (2) Shure sm 81's and a Shure KSM 44 mic. I know how to mic an acoustic and I get some great sounds. Now I want to capture my vocals all together. I'm trying to avoid the process of laying down the acoustic tracks 1st, then laying down a seperate vocal track. I want to do this the "old-fashioned" way and capture that "vibe and energy of singing and playing at the same time". I would luv to do this in stereo if possible. I don't mind the "bleeding" into the mics as I can use this to my advantage. Can someone with experience using this technique offer me some suggestions on mic setup and should I be using a particular type of mic (or mics). I'm playing around with this, but I really feel I need some advice from the "Pros" as I feel I'm missing something in the recording process. This is being done in my home studio ( not live on-stage). I would greatly appreciate some help with this technique, some proven and tried methods. I know there are plenty of links on recording just an acoustic, but not with vocals at the same time. Thanks.

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".

1 Reply Related Threads

The Great Juan
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 243
    RE: Recording Acoustic guitar & Vocals together 2006/05/11 11:42:36 (permalink)
    Check this link. CMT.com has some cool artists and songwriters recorded the same way you want. I remember watching Jeffrey Steele's session and thinking what a great sound they got miking vocals and acoustic at the same time. Check it out, it may help you

330 Sessions
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1