headphones for mixing

Author
layez
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 150
2006/05/11 12:02:39 (permalink)

headphones for mixing

i read the recent posts on headphones which i found really helpful, but before i make any hastey investments as my budget is extremely limited since i am in grad school, i was wondering if i could get some suggestions/opinions from a few people. i have almost completely finished tracking and am about ready to do final mixing: which headphones for under 100$ would be best for mixing? i dont care about comfort, i just want headphones that wont color the true sound and will give me a relatively flat EQ. phones that will give me a good idea of how it sounds in a car stereo. suggestions?

25 Replies Related Threads

whattarush
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 713
    RE: headphones for mixing 2006/05/11 12:22:03 (permalink)
    I'm using some Audio Technica ATH-M30 headphones at the moment and they sound great. I picked them up at GC for about $70.

"When your moving in the positive, your destination is the brightest star"!!! www.elmarqrecords.com/ www.reverbnation.com/label/elmarqrecordsllc" www.facebook.com/pages/ElMarq-Records/160103362281 "Never look down on anyone UNLESS you're picking them up!"
    tor
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 852
    RE: headphones for mixing 2006/05/11 12:22:19 (permalink)
    I assume you know that mixing using headphones isn't recommended, but if there is no other way, I suggest you look into some Beyerdynamic products, like the DT 231, which is rated ok, price around 60$. Do some reading here:

http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-manufacturer/beyerdynamic/beyerdynamic-dt-231.php

Another and better choice would be the DT 770 Pro, which I own myself and use extensively in my home studio for practising guitar. They sound very good actually, price around 95-100$, review here:

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/headphones-home-audio/headphones/beyerdynamic/PRD_117777_2750crx.aspx

Beyerdynamic products are high quality and good value for money, can't go wrong if you invest in something like the DT231 or anything above. Good luck with your mixing.
    Jesse G
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4282
    RE: headphones for mixing 2006/05/11 12:27:50 (permalink)

The Audio-Technica ATH-M30 are selling for $59.99 from the link below. I own them and they are are great and comfortable.

Audio-Technica ATH-M30

Peace

Peace,
    Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
    ==============================
    Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
    mosspa
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 818
    RE: headphones for mixing 2006/05/11 12:34:08 (permalink)
    Mixing with headphones is not recommended by people who have never learned how to go about doing it correctly. The trick to mixing with headphones is to map the headphones to an ideal listening enviroment. Once your brain has learned the map, you can very reliably get the mix you want using headphones. For example, I have cognitive maps for my Sennheizers for both my nearfield studio monitoring setup and for my car.

John

AsRock Taichi 399, AMD Threadripper 1950x  O.C. 4.0GHz. 64GB DDR4-3200, Win 10 Pro,  Focusrite Scarlet 18i 20/Scarlet Octo Pre.  Frontier Design Apache ADAT routing, MOTU MTP MIDI Routing
    tor
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 852
    RE: headphones for mixing 2006/05/11 13:12:23 (permalink)
    I'm sure there are people who do perfectly good mixes using headphones, and that there are ways to cope with the fact that there is no real physical environment affecting the mix when you're doing it. One method could be to make a "map" as you say, a simulation of the room characteristics where the music is to be played.
    The industry does not recommend mixing in headphones for a number of reasons, one of the most important is the fact that music traditionally has been produced for listening environments, not headphones, also speaker manufacturers take room characteristics under consideration when designing hi-fi speakers. The "average" living room sounds completely different when it's furnished and when it's empty, one important issue here is reverb and room resonance. These are essential properties of a room that affects how music sounds, one aspect you're missing when mixing in headphones. To simulate it is possible, but doing it with success is harder (that is, if you're not using a room resonance and frequency correction unit in the system setup....)
    Suggestion: Play one of your favorite records, first through your headset, and then through your speakers, and then try to pinpoint why it sounds different, and what makes the difference. I've just finished building a studio from scratch because of that difference, realizing that room characteristics are too important to ignore.
    In by far a majority of semi-pro (guess that's us) and pro studios world wide technicians and producers mix on monitors, one of the reasons is that above. It's easier to create something that sounds natural and good in a room if you're making it in a room that shares some of the same properties--->sound through speakers that affect the room and it's belongings.

Frank Haas
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2490
    RE: headphones for mixing 2006/05/11 13:23:17 (permalink)
    I use AKG 240-Studio Headphones for several years now.. very comfortably to wear.
    I also use Headphone to pan the instruments and the effects in the mix..(I think I can hear it better using headphones)
    When I'm done with the "basics" I switch to my monitors, then home-stereo and car.. and start all over again lol..
    daverich
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3418
    RE: headphones for mixing 2006/05/11 13:40:42 (permalink)
    Personally I'm with the "don't mix with headphones" camp.

Psychoacoustically they're completely different from monitors and whilst you may be able to learn how to do it - why bother?

I mix on monitors and then use headphones to check the bass as the phone are much better at that.

I would certainly warn against making volume or pan adjustments on the basis of a headphone mix though.

Kind regards

Dave Rich

For Sale - 10.5x7ft Whisperroom recording booth.

http://www.daverichband.com
    http://www.soundclick.com/daverich
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: headphones for mixing 2006/05/11 14:08:42 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: whattarush

I'm using some Audio Technica ATH-M30 headphones at the moment and they sound great. I picked them up at GC for about $70.

I had the 30s but my mixes didn't sound right on other systems. The ones that work for me are the ATH-M40fs. They are designed just for that and don't cost much more if any if you shop around.
    j boy
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2729
    RE: headphones for mixing 2006/05/11 14:09:03 (permalink)
    Hell, I had a hard time ever getting a good mix with my first set of monitors (M-Audio BX-5). I can't even imagine trying to mix with phones! Since I've started using Event TR6's I can dial in a mix so much quicker... definitely the best $400 I ever spent.
    pattor
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 194
    RE: headphones for mixing 2006/05/11 15:06:56 (permalink)
    Once I tried a friends Beyerdynamics .

Had to throw them of my skull. Abnormal bass responce and fatiguing highs.
    djsuitet
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 61
    RE: headphones for mixing 2006/05/11 15:19:23 (permalink)
    You can't get a good mix/professional mix with headphones. Use headphones only for listening to detail, but for mixing you use nearfield monitors w/no sub.
    DJT
    mosspa
    RE: headphones for mixing 2006/05/11 15:28:01 (permalink)
    No, you can get a good mix using headphones, and certainly a lot better one that from a typical set of nearfields with no sub. Using a small woofer nearfield without a sub is almost always going to lead to bass overcompensation and a muddy low-heavy mix, when you listen to it on anything else.

John

AsRock Taichi 399, AMD Threadripper 1950x  O.C. 4.0GHz. 64GB DDR4-3200, Win 10 Pro,  Focusrite Scarlet 18i 20/Scarlet Octo Pre.  Frontier Design Apache ADAT routing, MOTU MTP MIDI Routing
    layez
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 150
    RE: headphones for mixing 2006/05/11 15:37:23 (permalink)
    thank you for the suggestions everyone. I get a lot of really useful info around here. I am going to borrow some monitors from a friend but for the most part i am going to have to mix the hard way, mostly through headphones, copy it the mix to disc, listen to it on a slew of different stereos and decide what needs to be done. I live in a duplex and ive already annoyed the neighbors enough by recording for the past 4 months, so flat EQ headphones are my best shot. Thanks again, i love this place. Id be like a child wandering into the middle of a movie and wondering whats going on if it wasnt for this forum.
    post edited by layez - 2006/05/11 15:45:33
    j boy
    RE: headphones for mixing 2006/05/11 15:38:26 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: mosspa
    Using a small woofer nearfield without a sub is almost always going to lead to bass overcompensation and a muddy low-heavy mix, when you listen to it on anything else.

With poor ones (M-Audio, etc.), yes. With good ones (Event, Dynaudio, etc.), no.

And, the bass response is the least of the problem. The midrange is just as important, and the M-Audio's for example don't give you good midrange information. I struggled more with this actually than with the poor bass response because, whereas you could eventually gauge where the bass needed to be from trial-and-error experience on hi-fi systems, car stereos, etc., the mids and high-freq stuff all got jumbled together in a hyped-up mess making it difficult to find out what's really there in all the "sizzle".
    post edited by j boy - 2006/05/11 15:58:01
    joesofia
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 156
    RE: headphones for mixing 2006/05/11 15:41:37 (permalink)
    I use the Audio-Technica ATH-M30 and the Sony Studio Monitor Series
    MDR-V700DJ. I do not mix with headphones. I basicalply only use them when tracking vocals or if I am working late hours. The AT's are a little boomy for my liking. I definitely prefer the Sonys although they are twice the price.
    Rednroll
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 537
    RE: headphones for mixing 2006/05/11 15:53:41 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: mosspa

Mixing with headphones is not recommended by people who have never learned how to go about doing it correctly. The trick to mixing with headphones is to map the headphones to an ideal listening enviroment. Once your brain has learned the map, you can very reliably get the mix you want using headphones. For example, I have cognitive maps for my Sennheizers for both my nearfield studio monitoring setup and for my car.

Mosspa, you obviously have a very strong opinion of what you are capable of doing on a set of headphones. If you have no other choice, then mixing on a pair of phones is an "option" but not a very good one. Checking mixes on phones are a good practice, but it is never recommended to do the entire mixing process on a pair of phones. There are many things that headphones can not transpire to a mix as if it where played thru a pair of speakers.

Things like imaging is one of the most important aspects that will never translate to a pair of headphones no matter how well you think you are training your brain. This is Phase relations between the audio in the left speaker as it is combined in a listening environment with audio in the Right speaker. Thus you can not hear phase cancellations that will normally occur in a normal listening environment between the interation within air of 2 speakers. The same thing for phase interactions due to the listening environment. Using a pair of headphones elliminates these interactions totally, and there is NO WAY you can judge Phase relations interactions with a pair of headphones.

I'm not trying to start an argument here, I'm just stating the facts. I'm sure you can get a pretty reasonable mix thru headphones once you become familiar with them and how your mixes transpire to other systems, just like ANY speaker you can also do this. If you want to further explain how your "cognitive maps" deal with Phase interactions which are not present when monitoring with headphones as far as additions and substractions when using a pair of headphones, then I'm all ears.

If you're going to make a blanketed statement about people not knowing how to mix with headphones and their advice, then I will make one also.

Mixing with headphones is only recommended by people who don't understand audio and the physics behind it.

If you're willing to upload one of your headphone mixes, I will happily listen to it and point out things that may be wrong with it. I have gone thru many listener training courses, I've been a mastering engineer for quite a few years, and I do this kind of listener critiquing almost on a daily basis and it is pretty easy for me to be constructive and point out flaws that you may be overlooking in your mixes.

post edited by Rednroll - 2006/05/11 16:06:06
    wrench45us
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4991
    RE: headphones for mixing 2006/05/11 16:13:51 (permalink)

i mix on headphones as a convenience

the most common mistake i make is drum transients being too loud
    your brain, or at least my brain just re-adjusts short quick noises to fit better

after i mix, if i'm serious, i'll burn hook up my audio out to play on a few sound systems or burn a CD and readjust the mix as necessary
    the more you do this the more you train/map what has to be done
    but it is always much different moving air in a big room vs. moving a little air cupped around your ears

and it can drive you to distraction if you try to 'tune' a mix for every sound system in the house and car
    some are just not going to be as good as others and even though you may learn a thing customizing the mix to sound great on every system, it just doesn't happen in my experience. you need to go with one mix that's great on one system and good enough on all the others

VariousArtist
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1397
    RE: headphones for mixing 2006/05/11 16:46:40 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Rednroll
    If you're willing to upload one of your headphone mixes, I will happily listen to it and point out things that may be wrong with it. I have gone thru many listener training courses, I've been a mastering engineer for quite a few years, and I do this kind of listener critiquing almost on a daily basis and it is pretty easy for me to be constructive and point out flaws that you may be overlooking in your mixes.

That's a great offer, albeit to someone else.

I do a lot of headphone mixes of recordings, made from rehearsals at a studio, when I get back to my home studio, because it's usually late at night and, besides, the mixes themselves are only for our personal use -- i.e. I'm being practical rather than having a preference and I have some near-reference monitors that I use when I take things a bit more seriously. Whenever I mix anything, I do try to listen to the result on as many systems as possible, including a decent stereo system, my automobiles (a van and a car -- and what a difference in just those two) and on cheaper headphones via my iPod. I find this very useful to do and helps me make beter mixes on the phones, but I recognize the difference it makes when I use my monitors.

Given that this seems to be an area of speciality, I'd love to have your offer extended to include a couple of things I've done. I think I do a pretty decent job, but there's always room for improvement and to gain the insight and experience from others...

Let me know...
    post edited by VariousArtist - 2006/05/11 16:54:56
    mosspa
    RE: headphones for mixing 2006/05/11 16:50:20 (permalink)
    First of all, I'm not an idiot, and I am not trying to start an argument either. I do not use headphones preferentially for mixing. Like most people, I use a neirfield system (RP6s) and a high resolution sub (Hsu-VTF MK2). For mix verification I have a pair of 35 yr old Altec Voices that I use in deepfield. Once I feel the mix is complete I listen to it in my living room and in my car. That being said, before I moved into the house I am currently living in, I leved in a condo with cranky old neighbors. I was forced to use headphones more and more. During that time I learned how to match the acoustic space in the headphones with the living room stereo and my car, as well as the nearfield system in the studio. My point was not that people should mix using headphones but that it can be done and with excellent results.

I agree with what you say about phase relationships. I would contend, however, that while working with open speakers preserves phase interactions, what you hear in your studio only translates to phase interactions in your studio, anyway. If you want to try an interesting experiment, try mixing something in an anechoic chamber. In such an environment, you have perfect phase interaction among the soundfields of the two speakers, but the direct soundfield alone. If you have ever been in an anechoic chamber you will realize that mixing is pretty much impossible there (without extensive brain remapping). However, the phase relationships in the stereo field are maintained. The point is that, yes, phase relationships and interactions are important, so are an incredible number of other variables in translation from one listening space to another.

As for the implication that I somehow lack understanding of audio and the physics behind it, you are free to believe as you will. As for headphone mixes to post, I would have to do one entirely from scratch because, as I said, everything gets verfied to the extent possible in 3 open air listening environments before I commit to a mix.

Anyway, I've pretty much transcended stereo audio and have moved into 5.1 and 7.1 surround. There, you are most certainly correct about headphones since none currently available, even with Dolby Headphone, really cut it (although it is only a matter of time).

John

Rednroll
    RE: headphones for mixing 2006/05/11 17:43:30 (permalink)
    Thanks for your reply. That information was not very clear in your original response and I agree with most every point you made now. I also agree mixing CAN be done on headphones, but there are a lot of things that must be considered in doing so. If you're new to mixing music like the original poster seems to be, then it is not a good starting point if you are not aware of the limitations of headphones. The good point is that you hopefully will learn from hands on experience why mixing exclusively on headphones is not a very good practice.

You mentioned that you would choose to mix on a pair of headphones over a set of speakers without a sub-woofer and get better results. That may be the case for YOURSELF but it's really not very good advice in my opinion. You mentioned using Seinheisser cans in mixing. Well here is a spectral graph of a pair of HD650's.

http://www.stashbox.org/uploads/1147382714/HD650.jpg

Now this looks like a pretty good bass response, for a set of cans. They're also a pair of $650+ pair of headphones and one of their top of the line models. I will only have to safely assume that lesser model numbers have a worse frequency response curve on the low-end. For most of my mixing tasks I use a pair of Alesis Monitor One's, which go for about $150. I bet those Monitor One's have a better overall frequency response then those $650 headphones, especially in the lower frequency range. So looking at that HD650 frequency response I see a nice hyped 200Hz bump and then rolling off on down. Infact if you download the Seinheisser HD600 manual, which I just recently did, they seem to show a frequency response curve from 100Hz-20Khz with nothing between 20-100Hz. Hmmmmmm???? I wonder why that is? Did their printer run out of ink, or do you think maybe that's the area where intermodulation problems occur and the where performance of a small speaker like used in headphones has a hard time reproducing and it wouldn't look very pretty for their documentation?

Headphones have speakers just like speaker cabinets and are therefore subject to the same problems when it comes to accurately reproducing bass frequencies. So the most common way to overcome those low frequency resonant intermodulation frequencies is to increase the size of the speaker. So which speaker has a bigger cone, a cabinet or a set of headphones? Well, my Monitor One's have a 6.5" cone and I haven't seen a pair of headphones with that large of a cone yet. So which do you think has a better "chance" of more accurately resproducing bass frequencies? The smaller speaker or the larger speaker?

I'll go with my 6.5" woofer over any pair of headphones for judging bass any day for a mix. I do cheat though and look at my mixes with a Spectral Analyzer to make sure I didn't accidentally go crazy on the bass frequencies, but in no way would I ever say I could judge bass more accurately with a pair of headphones, then I could with a pair of monitors without a sub-woofer. Physics would be working against me in that statement and my $150 Monitor One's seem to have a better frequency response then those $650 Sennheiser cans.

post edited by Rednroll - 2006/05/11 18:02:02
    glazfolk
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5253
    RE: headphones for mixing 2006/05/11 18:00:06 (permalink)
    I agree with what you say about phase relationships. I would contend, however, that while working with open speakers preserves phase interactions, what you hear in your studio only translates to phase interactions in your studio, anyway.

I'm going off on a bit of a tangent here, but thought maybe it's just worth mentioning the obvious, ie that when we mix in our studios, we aim for acoustic perfection, but tend to forget that most people in the real world (I don't mean audiophiles, I mean most people) don't listen to their music in that way.

That is, they don't have speakers perfectly positioned, and themselves likewise. Go into almost any home. Their speakers are placed where they easily fit, in a corner here, on a bookcase there, wherever.

I'm not saying this means we should cease striving to do our best, only that in doing so we need to be aware of what happens out there in the real world. Just a thought, nothing more.

Best,
    Geoff

Geoff Francis - Huon Delta Studios

AMD Opteron 246 2GHZ twin CPU
    Tyan S2875 AVRF Dual M'board
    2 Gig RAM, Three Monitors w NVIDIA GeForce FX5700
    Alesis iO26, 2 NTFS Seagate HD
    DigitalDesign Speakers
    Rednroll
    RE: headphones for mixing 2006/05/11 18:09:07 (permalink)

I do a lot of headphone mixes of recordings, made from rehearsals at a studio, when I get back to my home studio, because it's usually late at night and, besides, the mixes themselves are only for our personal use -- i.e. I'm being practical rather than having a preference and I have some near-reference monitors that I use when I take things a bit more seriously. Whenever I mix anything, I do try to listen to the result on as many systems as possible, including a decent stereo system, my automobiles (a van and a car -- and what a difference in just those two) and on cheaper headphones via my iPod. I find this very useful to do and helps me make beter mixes on the phones, but I recognize the difference it makes when I use my monitors.

That is a very good practice and is one that I highly recommend and use myself. My studio monitoring system actually consists of 3 sets of speakers as well as a set of AKG K240 headphones. They're all there for sanity checks to make sure I haven't missed anything, and then I also check the mix with a spectral analyzer.

Given that this seems to be an area of speciality, I'd love to have your offer extended to include a couple of things I've done. I think I do a pretty decent job, but there's always room for improvement and to gain the insight and experience from others...

I'ld be happy to do that and give some constructive feedback. I have actually done this in the past where this same type of discussion/argument came up and I pointed out to this headphone mixing person who insisted their mixes where great, where quite a few things they missed in using the headphones where pretty aparent. That week, they purchased a new set of Mackie monitors and said later that their mixing and listening skills had improved 10 fold.

I understand, lots of people have limitations as far as the environment they mix in and sometimes have no other choice then to use headphones. The key to getting a good mix no matter if you use headphones or $10K studio monitors, is "Familiarity". You need to become familiar with the speakers and listen a lot to other material that has been done professionally and become familiar with how that mix transpires to your monitors and make mental notes. It's always good to listen to music that might be similar to your mix before you start mixing, just to reaquant yourself with that sound. Then when you're near finishing a mix, it's always a good idea to play that music again thru your monitoring system and see how it matches up tonally to your mix. It's all about familiarity and using the right reference material.

sammyp
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 752
    RE: headphones for mixing 2006/05/11 18:22:57 (permalink)
    AKG 141's work good. I find it pretty useful to check a mix on headphones. Actually sometimes i take a break from the monitors and mix on phones for 20 min or so. I like to hear what the low and high ends are doing, i listen to verb and panning in the phones. A couple weeks ago i was polishing a mix/master with the sonitus multiband - i had very good results listening for 5 mins on the monitors, 5 mins on phones and 5 mins on the $30 computer speakers. Afterall a mix needs to sound good all as many systems as possible. The computer speakers were very revealing - i know that at a certain volume, industry product CD's will not whoof out the little sub, so if my mix is exploding the sub, i know there's too much. I also tend to get too much presence when only listening on my Roland nearfields, the computer speakers help get that in perspective too. Listening is quite a learning process.

j boy
    RE: headphones for mixing 2006/05/11 18:29:44 (permalink)
    With enough effort and perserverence, I *could* walk on my hands to San Francisco, but I wouldn't want to do it... It's easier to drive.
    alexniedt
    • Total Posts : 842
    RE: headphones for mixing 2006/05/11 18:57:42 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: pattor

Once I tried a friends Beyerdynamics .

Had to throw them of my skull. Abnormal bass responce and fatiguing highs.

Yes, that's how I feel about my DT 770's. However, they are good to check in for certain balances once in a while once you get to know them.

I use my AKG K271 Studio's way, WAY more. Definitely recommend them.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1