recording seperate tracks

Author
absynth3knave
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9
2006/05/11 13:43:48 (permalink)

recording seperate tracks

i would like to lay down multiple tracks seperately.Instead if I record a second track the first one is recorded with it.
I posted a question on this forum a couple of days ago and was told to unclick the "watch you hear" option on my soundcard.Unfortuantly the audiophile soundcard that im using doesnt have that option.
Im sure that what i have to do is in the "moniter mixer" screen of my soundcard,but I have experimented with different settings on the moniter mixer to no avail.
I would greatly any advice on this problem.
Im using sonar 4
my souncard is an audiophile 24/96
Im running my guitar into a beringer mixing board thru the line in
the mixing board is connected from the main out into the analog ins on my soundcard
post edited by absynth3knave - 2006/05/11 13:57:59

6 Replies Related Threads

Honest_Al
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3642
    RE: recording seperate tracks 2006/05/11 13:55:39 (permalink)
    The way you connected your Behringer mixer could be the problem !

into the analog ins on my soundcard

what about the analog OUTS? maybe they feed these to two channels in your mixer or some kind of an input there?you probably want to hear your soundcard's outputs ..so do you connect them straight into an amp/speakers (or powered monitors) or thru the mixer?
    absynth3knave
    RE: recording seperate tracks 2006/05/11 14:09:42 (permalink)
    thank you! that has got to be the problem.The souncard out is going into the mixer and right back into the input.My problem is that my speakers have a 1/8 inch plug whereas my souncard output uses rca.Do i have to buy an amp and speakers to listen to my mix or is there another option?
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: recording seperate tracks 2006/05/11 14:29:34 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: absynth3knave

i would like to lay down multiple tracks seperately.Instead if I record a second track the first one is recorded with it.
    I posted a question on this forum a couple of days ago and was told to unclick the "watch you hear" option on my soundcard.Unfortuantly the audiophile soundcard that im using doesnt have that option.
    Im sure that what i have to do is in the "moniter mixer" screen of my soundcard,but I have experimented with different settings on the moniter mixer to no avail.
    I would greatly any advice on this problem.
    Im using sonar 4
    my souncard is an audiophile 24/96
    Im running my guitar into a beringer mixing board thru the line in
    the mixing board is connected from the main out into the analog ins on my soundcard

The connection is your problem. The mian out of the mixer has everything (even playback) mixed in unless there is a button on the mixer you can push to change that. So you have to choose a different output to connect to your sound card input. For example the Aux send is a common one used for recording. The Aux send "sends" a copy of the signal on a channel out it's own output. This is also handy because you get a way to control the record level going to the sound card without messing up your monitor mix. Just make sure all the Aux sends on all other channels are all the way down so you don't get any extra noise.

In a PA system those sends would be sent to an effects box like a reverb and then the effect would be blended back in to the mix by connecting the output of the effect to the Aux return of the mix. But it's also perfect for recording, it just dead ends into the sound card and doesn't need to return to the mix.

Think of the Aux send as an electronic Y cord and the Aux return as a featureless extra stereo channel.
    absynth3knave
    RE: recording seperate tracks 2006/05/11 14:34:46 (permalink)
    thanks man.I just posted a new question that you answered as well.
    Very helpful,thank you very much.
    Honest_Al
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3642
    RE: recording seperate tracks 2006/05/11 14:36:57 (permalink)
    Aux

all true but after reading absynth3knave's new post (on a new thread..why...why..) I would say it sounds a bit too complicated .. ?

hey what about a simple RCA to 1/8 Inch adapter ?
    DivarU
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 338
    RE: recording seperate tracks 2006/05/11 14:54:58 (permalink)
    I used to have the Audiophile's outs connected to the Behringer's 2-Track In (RCA's). On the Behringer there is a button called '2Trk to Ctrl Room', make sure it's down and the '2Trk to Mixer' button is up. If you have your speakers connected to the Ctrl Room Outs, the audio from your soundcard will directly go to the speakers and not into the computer again.
    post edited by DivarU - 2006/05/11 15:09:25
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1