BFD Drum problems. Any help?

Author
Dono
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 114
2006/05/13 11:03:56 (permalink)

BFD Drum problems. Any help?

I know this is the Sonar Forum, but I am a registered user of 3.1.1. Producer. I'm a new BFD user that's having a problems with BFD Drums. I've RTFM and visit the KV support forum before I send out a plea for help. I'm stumped. I'm a new user with problems that are stumping me, as I think I've got a fairly good handle on this stuff and I follow directions well:-)

First of all, my DAW:
Operton 165
2gb ram
(2) 160 Seagates 7200 rpm
streaming, however, off of an external Seagate.

I downloaded latest version as of May 2, 2006. I have read and continue to read the manual.

Issues are:

Still choking cymbals: I changed the max buffer thing to 64. I've verified my note durations. I even tried to load all to RAM, but I ended that when the reading went as high as 1.4GB, figuring that as I still had some kit to go that wasn't going to leave too much for processing. Now while I played around with the cymbals when they were loading into memory the cymbals did not choke on me. Please advise if I mis-read that parameter and, with 2gb, I should still load all to ram. I don't suppose their is a way to just load cymbals to memory, is there? Haven't read about it.

Does this have anything to do with streaming off the the external Seagate? I have contemplated buying a third HDD for BFD and will if it fixes this issue.

Open Hi Hat: I am aware that every set of hats do not have an "open tip" or other open hi hat sounds. However, I am not getting an open hi hat sound when I click on open tip- it is a closed hat, at least to my ears. Oddly enough, the very first time I clicked on the drum map (Sonar 3) to "test" the sample I did get an open hi-hat sound, but after that first time it disappeared. This perplexes me - and yes, I did download, install, and have used the add-on Zildjian set. But I still hear NOTHING that resembles an open hi-hat sound.

I am continuing to read, tweak, and experiment. I love the control over the kits. I would appreciate any feedback as I would like to get to making some music! Smile

Dono in Frisco, Baja Oklahoma.

Dono in Frisco, Baja Oklahoma

"When the going gets weird the weird turn pro"
Raoul Duke, Esq.

Please listen to my music:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=590292

5 Replies Related Threads

bbdude
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 248
    RE: BFD Drum problems. Any help? 2006/05/13 12:45:16 (permalink)
    Dono,
    I'm still learning the BFD interface myself. You did not state in your post what E-drum set you are using. I am using the Yamaha DTXpress II. I had problems with spurious cymbal choking and finally wound up just un-checking the cymbal choke hit type in the Hit Options panel. If I'm remembering right, I think the DTXpress E-drums were prone to sending extra hits when the cymbal pads are sruck, especially if the stick slides or skips along the pad. Any subsequent hit chokes the previous hit (in the BFD sound generator). As far as the the Open Hi Hat, did you try the Midi Learn Mode in the Hit Options panel?
    - the bbdude
    j boy
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2729
    RE: BFD Drum problems. Any help? 2006/05/13 12:50:59 (permalink)
    Do the cymbals cut off when you play the "built in" grooves in the Groove Librarian, or only on the MIDI patterns you create in the SONAR PRV with a mouse, keyboard, or whatever? Try importing one of BFD's MIDI grooves into SONAR and see what the durations, etc. are on those notes. Same thing with the high hat expressions. I've never had to manipulate any values relating to durations, so I'm thinking that's not the issue but you never know... I'd check.

Try increasing the latency for the project. BFD consumes a fair amount of resources and it sounds like your system can't "keep up" with the streaming samples from the BFD disk. If you are early on in a project and don't want the additional latency, switch to 16 bit "preview" mode until you are ready for final mixdown, bounce, etc. then switch back to the 24 bit mode.

One last thing, I would read the BFD manual again with regards to all of the options menus... I seem to recall some settings that relate to the streaming cache sizes.

Good luck!
    Dono
    RE: BFD Drum problems. Any help? 2006/05/13 15:01:27 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply's, guys.

I am very early in my BFD experience. I am using BFD with one of my older songs, triggering off of the midi that I created in Sonar with my mouse. I'm listening to the different sets, how they sound, etc.

Boy, I just built this new DAW. Do you really think an Opteron 165 with 2GB RAM could be struggling with BFD? I don't know --- although I'll claim some ignorance the problems seem to be related more to weird note issues, not streaming. BUT ---I might be wrong!

It's actually getting a little weird now. This is what is going on today.

I loaded the Ayotte set. When clicking on the open hi-hit sound on the left side of my drum grid in Sonar 3 it actually sounded like an open hi hat. Great! However, after programming some Pearl ride I came back to the open hi hat and the open hi hat was GONE. It sounded like a closed hat again.

In addition, now there are several key assignments/sounds (kick primarily) where the initial sound is followed by one or more cymbal sounds,one right after the other, but it is intermitent. Does this have anything to do with bleed?

Really, I am a registered user Smile To the best of my knowledge I have done everything correctly, from installing from the latest version to following the advice given on the forum. But, I recognize that I am doing or have done something wrong for these little anomilies to occur.

Any help is appreciated!

Raoul Duke, Esq.

jo099
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 64
    RE: BFD Drum problems. Any help? 2006/05/13 17:00:40 (permalink)
    I think part of your bfd problem is getting to know the usage (i'd review that manual) - it sounds like your re-arranging or editing the kit (or parts in it) and not understanding how or why there.
    Look at the choke fade options first.

The other problem is, IMO cymbals are bfd's weakest link (for example: see the dennis chambers kit in "artist drums" for a good example of proper cymbals). Although I like the mic/point/kits options and editing capabilites.

Just sounds like you need to dig in more with it and learn it (initial user errors)
    Dono
    RE: BFD Drum problems. Any help? 2006/05/14 16:25:36 (permalink)
    You may be right! I had to go to the in-laws since yesterday so I took the manual for a re-read. I did discover some things I'm going to look into further.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback!

Raoul Duke, Esq.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1