Dimension Pro - guitar strum as in demo

Author
folkeman
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 85
2006/05/23 11:09:10 (permalink)

Dimension Pro - guitar strum as in demo

I just got Dimension Pro and I am trying to figure out how the guitar strumming example in the demo on the Dimension Pro product web page was created. Does anyone have any idea?

Thanks.

10 Replies Related Threads

Skyline In The Office
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 147
    RE: Dimension Pro - guitar strum as in demo 2006/05/30 08:40:46 (permalink)
    I think they must have used a midi track from something like Band In A Box or Jammer Pro, both of which have some good guitar strummings styles, and then played that midi track through Dimension Pro.
    stevee9c6
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 464
    RE: Dimension Pro - guitar strum as in demo 2006/05/30 09:43:49 (permalink)
    I've got Band in a Box so I'll have to try that.
    Frank@ProSounds
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 199
    RE: Dimension Pro - guitar strum as in demo 2006/05/30 12:20:24 (permalink)
    Hi Folkeman,

The strumming was most likely done with a midi file. Strums require subtle, but precise midi programming....alteration of velocity, etc...etc...Never fear though, I've made a midi file demonstrating how to get an accurate strumming sound.

You can download it HERE

I'll leave it up there for anyone else looking to gain knowledge on this subject.

Hope that helps!
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Dimension Pro - guitar strum as in demo 2006/05/30 19:13:25 (permalink)
    I have to agree with Frank from ProSounds above: realistic strumming does require subtle and precise MIDI events. But I'd like to offer an alternative to using a static .mid file to get there. Controlled arpeggiators with a *lot* of variations can get you there as well. If you only *set and forget* an arpeggiator, it's going to sound mechanical. But controlling the shapes, on/off, length/rate, and other parameters over MIDI can get you very close with practice. The best sources to use are those beneath your fingertips as you play your keyboard controller.

Those might include velocity, release velocity, keyboard mapping, and aftertouch. They keep you concentrated on the phrasing, without having to reach all over for a particular control. I did a live guitar piece in Rapture that I'm going to point to [(BAGEED) here]. While the intent was to take realistic acoustic guitar and bring it into synth territory, there's enough that's 'realistic' there to demonstate what I'm talking about.

Project5 has a decent set of per-track arpeggiators with provision for external control. I've also heard good things about Sonar's new MIDI FX arp. These won't generate editable MIDI without a hack, but they can still be useful in emulating guitar-specific techniques. In the song linked above, I used a single KB controller with some onboard (hardware) arpeggiators to pull off a live rendering.

I'll also point you to a tutorial that I just put up here that describes the patch setup that I used. You don't have to go this far in emulating a guitar, but it does demonstate how to approach a natural instrument reproduction. I hope there's a few tips in there that you find to be useful.

folkeman
    RE: Dimension Pro - guitar strum as in demo 2006/06/02 06:08:49 (permalink)
    Thanks a lot for the replies and the ideas. I will try them out.

As a matter of fact I own Real Guitar as well, which simulates the strumming of an acoustic guitar really well.

But I was really curious after I heard the Dimenision Pro demo.

Thanks.
    lawapa
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: Dimension Pro - guitar strum as in demo 2006/06/02 15:10:38 (permalink)
    As a guitar player I've always just entered the strums in Piano roll view as I use my guitar. It does help with timing a strum to have the guitar handy. This is of course is the hard way to do it, I admit this, But you can get what you hear down to sustain and mutes very close. I have considered the midi interface thing but opted to do it the hard way so I could spend my bucks on great synths and faster computers. It's that stupid budget thing where you save a few here and spend it where it could do more damage/good? So since not everyone plays guitar this is not a good advice for those who can't play. But it does serve me well.
    AlanPerkins
    • Total Posts : 53
    RE: Dimension Pro - guitar strum as in demo 2006/06/04 04:51:17 (permalink)
    What I want to know is why can't / won't cakewalk make the source for Dimension and Rapture examples available to users of Sonar or whatever they used. It just doesn't make sense theat they won't publish these. Surely it is in their interests to share their work so that their users improve - that can only work to improve their market share.
    folkeman
    RE: Dimension Pro - guitar strum as in demo 2006/06/04 06:31:57 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: AlanPerkins

What I want to know is why can't / won't cakewalk make the source for Dimension and Rapture examples available to users of Sonar or whatever they used. It just doesn't make sense theat they won't publish these. Surely it is in their interests to share their work so that their users improve - that can only work to improve their market share.

I second this. It would be really useful to have the "demo spec" - MIDI source, effects etc. used when creating the demos. It would be very useful and educational indeed.
    brokenstrings
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Dimension Pro - guitar strum as in demo 2008/05/17 08:40:12 (permalink)
    I am reviewing this article and setting my Dimension Pro Elements but I have two questions:

Dimension Pro Loads with 4 Elements. In your article you list Elements 5 and 6. I have searched my manual to "Add Elements" and can't find it.

Next: After I finish with the Elements do I create a separate track for each string and map the individual tracks to the Elements?

Thanks in Advance
    lawapa
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: Dimension Pro - guitar strum as in demo 2008/05/17 09:53:05 (permalink)
    Only rapture has 6 elements. Dpro has 4
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1