Garritan Orch for DP vs Stand alone

Author
tomhan
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 158
2006/05/25 18:31:44 (permalink)

Garritan Orch for DP vs Stand alone

Looking for opinions regarding Garritan Personal Orchestra (GPO). I know there is talk of the full version being ported over to DP in the near future but I'm wondering what the advantages/disadvantages are vs. just buying the full GPO stand alone version. The full version is supplied with Kontakt Player which is set up to tweak the instruments out-of-the-box and provides 8 discrete outputs. DP on the other hand still offers only one stereo out which means 4 to 8 instances or more if you want any control in the mix. Any thoughts? The full GPO version is $200.00 and I'll bet the version for DP will run around $120.00 or so (just a wild guess). If the Kontakt player in GPO is the standard player that will play other Kontakt compatible sample sets then I'm leaning heavily in that direction and I'll just let DP do all the other great things that it does so well. I'll confess that I'm very new to DP so maybe there is something I don't understand yet. I'd would love to other opinions on this and am open to being persuaded either way.

To have peace, teach peace.

4 Replies Related Threads

lawapa
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: Garritan Orch for DP vs Stand alone 2006/05/25 21:26:35 (permalink)
    I'll bet the version for DP will run around $120.00 or so (just a wild guess).

Man that would be nice :)+). But I'm not counting chickens before the deal. IMHO the player with GPO does it justice. And yet I'd still perfer the Dp If I could get the sample set from GPO. I'm not trying to stear you one way or the other cause I'd have different uses other than just the straight sample playback with GPO. I'd be using then in Rapture as well. That's why I'd prefer the SFZ format over the standalone product.
    tomhan
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 158
    RE: Garritan Orch for DP vs Stand alone 2006/05/26 14:11:13 (permalink)
    Good point for the SFZ format. Score one for DP. I don't have Rapture yet but I think it's in the forseeable future. First I have to pay off the Remote SL 61 I have on order. It would be nice if DP had seperate outs for each element as an option although the workaround isn't all that bad for a few instruments. But a full orchestra...not so shure.

To have peace, teach peace.
    lawapa
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: Garritan Orch for DP vs Stand alone 2006/05/26 14:42:45 (permalink)
    All you do is name all your midi tack to instrument and close the windows on all synths till you need to fine tune or edit a sound with the window up. If you have your audio tracks showing you just dclick the instrument in the fx window and up pops the screen. That way it's not so messy at the bottom with all those synth short cuts.
    amcmechan
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 26
    RE: Garritan Orch for DP vs Stand alone 2006/05/26 15:46:00 (permalink)
    The full version has a lot more in terms of articulations and enhancements through controllers. Plus there are more instruments available. So, if you need symphonic level capabilities, the full version is almost necessary. If you're just looking to add some string backing to tracks or some basic orch. instrumentation, the Pocket's not bad soundwise.

Having said that, I would love it if Garritan migrated to DP. I tend to use alternate tunings a fair amount, and Kontakt2 - even the new release - is just not set up to work well with GPO. The base level GPO player is fine, but I've learned to love DP in so many ways.

Please, Gary, please, come to the light!

Andrew
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1