Rookie Question: Mixing 5 Tracks

Author
MondayMonkey
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 16
2006/05/28 16:40:47 (permalink)

Rookie Question: Mixing 5 Tracks

Hey Gang,

I've been reading about this, and my brain is tied in knots. I want to layout what I'm doing and get some feedback as to any improvements I could make in my workflow.

Background

• 5 wav files from a church service
  • 3 of the files are "identical" (i.e., they are the three choir mics) and I will never do anything to only one of those tracks. Always will do same effects, editing, etc. to all three tracks
  • The remaining two files are individual people that are reading
  • The two "reader" tracks will have different editing done (to remove coughs, baby crys, etc.)
  • All 5 tracks sound OK with the same reverb settings

The Goal

• Take the 5 wav files and import them into a Sonar 4 PE project
  • apply effects
  • apply some volume envelopes to remove coughing etc. (using a Behringer BCF2000 mixing surface)
  • export the mix to a wav or MP3

The Plan of Attack - << Please Provide any Constructive Fedback You Have >>

• Import 5 files to individual tracks in Sonar
  • Send 3 choir tracks to a bus named "ChoirBus" (I'm sending these "pre")
  • Mute the original three choir tracks
  • Apply noise gating to ChoirBus
  • Arm ChoirBus for automation, run through whilst riding the fader to remove coughing, etc. (I haven't successfully gotten the Sonitus gate to remove coughing, but it kicks arse with 99% of the noise)
  • Send ChoirBus to an Effects Send for reverb
  • Send the reverb (Effects Send) out to Master
  • Apply noise gate to each of the two reader tracks (noise gate on each individual, original track)
  • Send each of the two reader tracks to the previously created EffectsSend to apply reverb (send these post so the gating will be done before it goes to reverb send, right?)
  • Export to a WAV and call it done?

Sorry for the kind of lengthy post. Any constructive feedback is much appreciated!

7 Replies Related Threads

Clydewinder
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 941
    RE: Rookie Question: Mixing 5 Tracks 2006/05/28 20:58:35 (permalink)
    you don't need to mute the choir tracks or use aux pre sends, just create a second bus and point the choir tracks' outputs there. then you can either group the 3 choir track faders and arm for automation, or just automate the choir bus fader. put post aux sends on the 3 choir tracks so when your choir tracks are gated or automated downward, the reverb still decays normally through a separate aux bus. plus you can pan the 'verb sends to match the channel pans if you want. sometimes opposite sounds good as well, it depends on if you are using an "ambience" reverb or a "room/plate" type reverb.
    what you stated for the 2 "reader" tracks sound fine, that's what i would do as well.

also everyone who posts here is going to have 5 different ways to do the same thing, so in the end just go with what you are comfortable with and what sounds good.

The Poodle Chews It.

NYSR
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1550
    RE: Rookie Question: Mixing 5 Tracks 2006/05/28 23:16:30 (permalink)
    You may want to experiment with altering the phase of one or more choir microphones. It may or may not be useful.

Cakewalk customer since Apprentice version 1, PreSonus 16.4.2 ai, 3.5 gHz i7

B_Nez
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 330
    RE: Rookie Question: Mixing 5 Tracks 2006/05/29 08:39:21 (permalink)
    Control surfaces are fun, but I have to wonder if would be less frustrating for you to draw envelopes instead for your automation. Then again, some folks prefer the feel of knobs and faders. Whichever works for you.

MOTU 828mkII, M-Audio Octane
    Event TR-8N, Sonar 6.2.1 Producer
    http://go.berkleemusic.com/Samsound
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=380296
    MondayMonkey
    RE: Rookie Question: Mixing 5 Tracks 2006/05/29 10:38:46 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone, for the feedback.

Clydewinder, are you saying, in order to get the nice decay on the reverb, each of the 3 choir tracks should have their "regular" Output sent to the ChoirBus for gating AND each choir track should also have an aux post effect send to the reverb bus? Won't that aux post to the reverb have the coughing and noise, etc?

I just want to make sure I understand exactly what you're saying.

I tried to add in a screenshot to show exactly what I mean , but I can't figure out how to post an image in here.

Thanks!
    MondayMonkey
    RE: Rookie Question: Mixing 5 Tracks 2006/05/29 10:40:23 (permalink)
    Hey B_Nez,

Yeah, I used to do it without the control surface and found it to be tedious. Maybe there was an easier way to "draw", I don't know...

Thanks!
    Clydewinder
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 941
    RE: Rookie Question: Mixing 5 Tracks 2006/05/29 14:02:09 (permalink)
    i would apply gating to each of the 3 choir channels independently and then send those to the choir bus, along with a POST aux send on those 3 channels to a separate reverb bus. instead of gating you could use some clip gain envelopes to accomplish the same thing, or a combination of the two. if the reverb send is POST then any anti-cough measures you have taken will be before the reverb send. the reason i would do that is that way you get separate aux send panning for each send to the reverb which you can place separately from the regular channel pan, along with easier separation between the 3 if one or 2 need eq'ing and the others don't.

there are a million ways to do it, but you just don't want to have a gate on a channel or bus after the reverb has already been applied or the tail will vanish on you.

The Poodle Chews It.

gypsy/queens/song
    • Total Posts : 31
    RE: Rookie Question: Mixing 5 Tracks 2006/06/16 08:43:22 (permalink)
    Love the little lego man with microphone lovely lovely lovely~!

Vern please tell me what is a Wave file.......

Looking for the crash course on Home Recording ummmmmmm taught by me
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1