Stereo Recording

Author
Musikamole
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 19
2006/06/10 12:17:42 (permalink)

Stereo Recording

The old phrase - recorded in stereo. I understand that stereo can be a very deep subject. I have a book titled Sound and Recording which devotes a chapter on it.

When I recorded the concert band that I teach using two mics, I got two of the desired stereo effects, both an open and spacious sound.

At home I don't use mics, just virtual instruments. Turning pans alone does not yield a satisfying stereo sound. Some of the samples are stereo, like piano and drums. The bass guitar, guitar and sax are mono samples.

Would it be a good idea to double the mono samples and pan them in opposite directions, and perhaps eq or add delay to one of the two? Any techniques on recording virtual instruments in stereo would be appreciated.
post edited by Musikamole - 2006/06/10 12:31:41

10 Replies Related Threads

d_in_conduct
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 226
    RE: Stereo Recording 2006/06/10 15:14:44 (permalink)
    Mono tracks can still be panned to whatever part of the sonic stage you want them. Bass should stay in the middle, although if it interferes with the kick drum you will want to EQ them to use different frequency spaces. You can also pan them 5-10% to opposite sides of center to give them a little more space.

No need to run single instruments on a stereo track unless there are stereo effects on them.

------------------------------------------------
    All your base are belong to us...
    Freakwitch
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 500
    RE: Stereo Recording 2006/06/10 21:24:17 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Musikamole
    Would it be a good idea to double the mono samples and pan them in opposite directions, and perhaps eq or add delay to one of the two? Any techniques on recording virtual instruments in stereo would be appreciated.

No. Or rather, almost never.

Doing this on more than one source gives a sound people call "big mono," it's just a washed out pile of excrement.

Use mono sources, and find them a home in the stereo spread. It'll sound better.
    BluerecordingStudios
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 916
    RE: Stereo Recording 2006/06/11 12:35:46 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Musikamole

The old phrase - recorded in stereo. I understand that stereo can be a very deep subject. I have a book titled Sound and Recording which devotes a chapter on it.

When I recorded the concert band that I teach using two mics, I got two of the desired stereo effects, both an open and spacious sound.

At home I don't use mics, just virtual instruments. Turning pans alone does not yield a satisfying stereo sound. Some of the samples are stereo, like piano and drums. The bass guitar, guitar and sax are mono samples.

try to put some stereo reverb spaces to sax and pan it between 50 L or R to 0. Mono sounds good if it is right used
    tonyd
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 222
    RE: Stereo Recording 2006/06/11 14:00:08 (permalink)
    Musikamole: Turning pans alone does not yield a satisfying stereo sound.

That's because miking in stereo captures much more than the directionality of the direct sound.

Two basic things:

1) There is directionality of the first early reflections. The brain uses these to reinforce the localization
    of the direct sound. This is not as simple as adding some reverb. Google "Haas effect" if you really
    want to get into this.

2) High frequencies are attenuated faster than low frequencies with distance. Miking captures
    this front-back depth, panning does not. So these reflections, which travelled further, will have
    attenuated high end.

So, in addition to panning, try to play with some subtle echoes. Sound travels at 1 foot per
    millisecond, so you can figure out how soon the first reflections arrive in any real room (don't forget
    the ceiling!). You also need some gentle EQing to push the apparent sound source back.

An effective, but admittedly complicated way to do all this "at once" is to use a convolution reverb with a
    properly positioned impulse, for example one generated using Voxengo Impulse Modeller (check "Direct
    Signal Level" on). This will have everything bult in. This method assumes that the initial mono source is
    perfectly dead dry, but that should be fine for synthesised, non-sample-based sounds.
    post edited by tonyd - 2006/06/11 15:40:57
    NYSR
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1550
    RE: Stereo Recording 2006/06/11 17:50:22 (permalink)
    Recreating believable stereo from a mono source can be done but it is meticulous and detailed. You need to understand a ton of audio physics.

you need to pan the original to the relative position
    you need delays to mimic distances to several surfaces,
    you need plate reverbs to mimic those surfaces,
    you need standard reverbs to mimic spaces
    you need EQ on the above effects to mimic the environment
    you need to do everything twice for every track to capture the stereo differences.

Cakewalk customer since Apprentice version 1, PreSonus 16.4.2 ai, 3.5 gHz i7

mlockett
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2099
    RE: Stereo Recording 2006/06/12 11:35:14 (permalink)
    Another tip...

Don't pan the reverb for an instrument with the instrument... If you pan an instrument 80% left, to sound natural, the verb should be centered... to expand the stereo sound, you could even push the verb to the opposite side.

Be careful when panning stereo instrument. Unfortunately, when you pan you maybe killing part of the sound, if the samples are truely stereo.
    Musikamole
    RE: Stereo Recording 2006/06/16 01:47:25 (permalink)
    Thanks to all on the simulation stereo tips! Big mono is also an interesting subject.

I've read a little on the Haas effect as it pertained to the precedence effect. What I found most fascinating were the words impression and illusion as it relates to stereo. " The aim of stereo sound reproduction is to give the impression of directionality and space in sound emitted from two or more loudspeakers, or over headphones". The authors go on to say, " ...in most cases stereo reproduction from two loudspeakers can only hope to achieve a modest illusion of the original soundfield". Sound and Recording by Francis Rumsey and Tim McCormick. Copyright 1994. Twelve years ago.

So the authors use the terms illusion and impression to inform the reader that stereo was not trully being reproduced fully most of the time in professional recordings, at least before the 21st century. Perhaps that is why SONAR and other software companies are adding surround sound and impulse response/convolution reverb to reproduce a more natural and satisfying listening experience. Competition, I would imagine also comes into play.
    Kicker
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 477
    RE: Stereo Recording 2006/06/16 23:19:49 (permalink)
    So the authors use the terms illusion and impression to inform the reader that stereo was not trully being reproduced fully most of the time in professional recordings, at least before the 21st century.

They did it before by re-amping. It is still a fairly common practice: Put some full-range speakers in a really good room, place a stereo pair of mics at the listeners location and orientation, and play back the mix/tracks to record the reverb.
    Musikamole
    RE: Stereo Recording 2006/06/17 00:52:33 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Kicker

So the authors use the terms illusion and impression to inform the reader that stereo was not trully being reproduced fully most of the time in professional recordings, at least before the 21st century.

They did it before by re-amping. It is still a fairly common practice: Put some full-range speakers in a really good room, place a stereo pair of mics at the listeners location and orientation, and play back the mix/tracks to record the reverb.

I just bought Home Recording For Musicians for Dummies by Jeff Strong, copyright 2005. The information/jargon sounds current. Much of the book actually talks about mic techniques.

Jeff Strong talks about a mic technique he calls Ambient Miking. Maybe re-amping is the same or similar thing? Ambient miking according to Jeff Strong is simply placing the mic far enough away from the sound source to capture more of the room sound.
    post edited by Musikamole - 2006/06/17 01:08:28
    NYSR
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1550
    RE: Stereo Recording 2006/06/17 11:52:17 (permalink)
    re amping is not the same as ambient miking but they can be related. In ambient miking you use the microphone only once. Room sound is captured by allowing the ratio of sounds reaching the microphone to increase the room sounds and decrease the direct sounds.

Re amping, on the other hand, usually requires using a microphone twice. A sound, either previously recorded through a microphone or recorded directly from an electronic source (not requiring a microphone) is played back through a speaker. Another microphone is then used to record what comes out of the speaker. That second microphone can be used to merely capture the speaker sound or can be ambiently miked to capture a room sound not a part of the original recording. These two techniques are only related when the re-amping is used to ambient mike an existing recording.

By way of example: I have on occasion plugged a guitar direct into the board and into the DAW. I would then playback the recording from the DAW into a variety of different guitar amps and record those results. That is a form of reamping. It allows me to decide later how to best amp a guitar part that when first played did not depend upon what amp sound would eventually flavor it.

AMbient miking is a one step process. re amping is a two step process one of which might be ambient miking.

Cakewalk customer since Apprentice version 1, PreSonus 16.4.2 ai, 3.5 gHz i7

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1