FS: Emulator X Studio

Author
NoelEiffe
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 57
2006/06/13 23:59:50 (permalink)

FS: Emulator X Studio

I'm always relectant to do this on the forum, but I bought this unit based on strong recommendations here on the forum, and since it may be of interest to forum folk and Sonar enthusiasts, forgive a brief forsale ad.

I've been moving to the mac, or at the very least going multiplatform, and so my Emulator X Studio, great though it is, is the wrong piece of equipment for me at the moment. It's less than a year old, the full package, with 1820M, PCI card, original box, disks, and manuals, and I will include the Protean Drums X drum library as well as the Vintage X Pro: Volume 3 Keyboards libraries. This is all less than a year old, excellent condition, and used only in my smoke-free home studio. I'd like to sell this for $475 shipped in the US, paypal preferred.

This unit performs very solidly with Sonar, and for me solved otherwise unsolveable problems with Firewire interfaces...almost enough. In the end, the lure of macintel is too strong, so I need something more cross-platform.

If you're interested, please drop me a private message here, and if you're not sorry for this intrusion on forum peacefulness.

Thanks all...Noel
post edited by NoelEiffe - 2006/06/14 07:30:37

5 Replies Related Threads

Vastman
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2508
    RE: FS: Emulator X Studio 2006/09/03 17:26:30 (permalink)
    NoelEiffe...
    I purchased one of the last EmulatorX Studio packages with sonar 5. I haven't installed the Emulator X as while waiting I got a firebox and it has been working pretty good... As I am a bit intimidated by all the negative comments on the 1820/emulator I've been hearing lately I wonder if I should send it back, unopened... the 1820 seems a great deal with the EX but... as I'm a bit un-computer savy, am I setting myself up for a lot of frustration with this heavy system or is it worth it? I have a Compaq 3400+ amd X2 with 1GIG.

Working with sonar is great although I'm just scratching the surface... got it cause I eventually want to do surround.

Thanks for your thoughts
    Vastman
    RE: FS: Emulator X Studio 2006/09/03 20:39:12 (permalink)
    Just wanted everyone to know that I had no problems loading up[ the 1820 system... While the patch bay system has me totally confused, I got the basic stereo configuration off of emus website and everything works great... Indeed, I was having garbled playback problems periodically using a presonus firebox which aren't happening anymore!!! It was getting a bit frustrating to have to shut down sonar and unhook firebox periodically when this signal loop (sounded like too much feedback on a reverb a bit) would show up every hour or so...

Total time was 2 hours after getting my guts up enough to open the box and try to install everything. Sounds beautiful! Was suprised to find the song ideas I'd done on the firebox were appropriately set up on the 1820 system automatically...

However, the "stereo setup" on the emu page should be the default on the patchmix system they use... I'm sure I'll get into it a bit as time goes on, but for now I'm stoked and able to play!

Emulator x setup next... I've already ordered the X2 upgrade and hope it's as good as it sounds...

Dana
    We make the future... Climate Change Music
    VastMaschine:SP4L/W10/i74930K/32GB/RME/CAD E100s; The Orchestra! NOVO!/Inspire/BohemianViolin&Cello, ARK1&2,/MinimalCapriccioMaximoSoto/OE1&2, Action&Emotive/Omni2/Tril/RMX/All OrangeTree/Falcon/APE Jugs/Alpha&Bravo/BFD3 & SD3
    Gravity/DM307/AEON/DM/Damage/Diva/HZebra/Hive/Diversion/VC4/Serum/Alchemy/blablabla
    Spitfire/8DIO/SL/KH/EW/NI; Shred1&2/AGF,G,M&T Torch&Res&Ren/GD-6; Ibanez SR1200&SR505
    NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
    NoelEiffe
    RE: FS: Emulator X Studio 2006/09/03 21:29:10 (permalink)
    Glad to hear you're up and running. You know, at the moment, having not yet sold my Emu, I'm running audio from it into a Firebox connected to my Mac...and it's actually sorta working fairly well. My conclusion is that getting FW audio to work on a PC is damned near impossible...PCI is still a necessity for high performance Windows audio, at least until dual and quad cores rule and IRQ sharing is a thing of the past.

The Patchmix application takes a lot of getting used to...very powerful, but ridiculously complicated. Be sure to read Martin Walker's excellent article on using it on the SoundOnSound website...this article is very in-depth and really opens up the mind to what you can do with it...absolutely essential reading.

Good luck with the new gear.

Vastman
    RE: FS: Emulator X Studio 2006/09/04 01:43:01 (permalink)
    thanks for the reference... i'll definately download it and use it for some "LATE NIGHT READING" after I'm getting proper sleep again... wife & daughter are away for a few more days and am having a blast resurecting my long unused creative juices...

Loaded up the Emulator X. it's not very intuitive or I'm just too stupid but I have been able to plunk some nice piano down as result of getting it working. But, man... the CPU use has gone through the roof... from 10-15% (with 4 vocals, 3 guitars and waaayyy too many effects) to 40-60% just hitting a few notes! Same with playing around with the PSYN II... Egads... a couple notes costs me 30-50%!!! I know I need more than 1 gig ram but figured the 3400 amd athlon 64 processor would give more than that.

Its frustrating as better computers are available for $6-700 refurbished at costco but they all use "media center" now which doesn't work... will keep lookin for a better xp return I guessor figure out what I might be doing wrong

thankx again for the reference on the patch system...

cheers

Dana
    We make the future... Climate Change Music
    VastMaschine:SP4L/W10/i74930K/32GB/RME/CAD E100s; The Orchestra! NOVO!/Inspire/BohemianViolin&Cello, ARK1&2,/MinimalCapriccioMaximoSoto/OE1&2, Action&Emotive/Omni2/Tril/RMX/All OrangeTree/Falcon/APE Jugs/Alpha&Bravo/BFD3 & SD3
    Gravity/DM307/AEON/DM/Damage/Diva/HZebra/Hive/Diversion/VC4/Serum/Alchemy/blablabla
    Spitfire/8DIO/SL/KH/EW/NI; Shred1&2/AGF,G,M&T Torch&Res&Ren/GD-6; Ibanez SR1200&SR505
    NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
    NoelEiffe
    RE: FS: Emulator X Studio 2006/09/04 09:00:16 (permalink)
    Yeah, most samplers are pretty resource hungry. Found the link to the Walker article by the way:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov05/articles/emupatchmix.htm

This came out like the week I got my Emulator X Studio, and I don't know if I'd have survived without it. Martin seems to still be using his 1820m, and his writing in SOS is one of the best things about having Emu gear, imo...
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1