How does Dimension Pro compare

Author
awilki01
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 817
2006/06/16 13:41:39 (permalink)

How does Dimension Pro compare

I am considering Dimension Pro and Sample Tank 2.1XL. Can anyone provide me with the differences and opinions on which one is better. I really want some nice orchestral and symphonic libraries.

Thanks in advance...

17 Replies Related Threads

lawapa
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: How does Dimension Pro compare 2006/06/16 16:00:22 (permalink)
    Here's what I'd do, Just me myself. I'd get Dpro and snag the GPO to dimension port when it hits. Out of the box Dpro has some nice orchestral sounds. But the full package from GPO would be the kicker. I did the ST demo. Nice but not my style.

I will say this ;)+) It's nice to have a selection of sounds no matter what style you do. And Dpro for me is the perfect engine to have to play those sounds. Because I have Awave to port my other 3rd party sound to sfz I'm always good to go.
    awilki01
    RE: How does Dimension Pro compare 2006/06/16 16:17:57 (permalink)
    I thought GPO already came with DPro.
    post edited by awilki01 - 2006/06/16 16:33:23
    René
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: How does Dimension Pro compare 2006/06/16 16:34:31 (permalink)
    There are "two GPO's", "Garritan Personal Orchestra", a superb product based on the NI Kontakt player, and "Garritan Pocket Orchestra", which was the version we shipped with Dimension Pro.

The pocket version has everything in the original GPO, with a few exceptions. From the top of my head, they are the piano, the organ and it has one solo violin instead of three. OTOH, DP has a bigger piano, and another set of section strings, plus the Expression Engine resampling technology.

-René
    lawapa
    RE: How does Dimension Pro compare 2006/06/16 17:19:48 (permalink)
    I got the impression the the pocket orchestra was smaller. I was wrong. Since Dpro has some really nice piano's and well what Rene said. I think the harp in Dpro was really good as well and I'm not sure if that comes with the Personal orchestra. That answers why I've heard nothing further about the full GPO for dimension Pro. Most of it is already there. I just didn't know that. Several threads have asked about this. When? And all along It was right there except for organ and maybe a few other things. That makes Dpro an even better deal than I thought.
    furiousfive
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 25
    RE: How does Dimension Pro compare 2006/06/16 20:29:51 (permalink)
    I've found myself reaching for Dimension Pro in almost every new track I've started since upgrading from the original Dimension version. The SampleTank UI seems fiddly to me (as is Philharmonik, which I own and am constantly annoyed with). It's become a go-to module for me.
    awilki01
    RE: How does Dimension Pro compare 2006/06/16 21:10:15 (permalink)
    How would Kontakt 2 compare?
    whitefalcon
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1161
    RE: How does Dimension Pro compare 2006/06/17 00:09:20 (permalink)
    The pocket version has everything in the original GPO, with a few exceptions. From the top of my head, they are the piano, the organ and it has one solo violin instead of three. OTOH, DP has a bigger piano, and another set of section strings, plus the Expression Engine resampling technology.

Yea much beefier orchestra sounds...
    More robust in all sounds, like 30 percent I would say overall
    Sen
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 699
    RE: How does Dimension Pro compare 2006/06/17 00:44:23 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: René

There are "two GPO's", "Garritan Personal Orchestra", a superb product based on the NI Kontakt player, and "Garritan Pocket Orchestra", which was the version we shipped with Dimension Pro.

-René

I came to know from someone in this forum that Dpro is going to bundle full 'Garritan Personal Orchestra' shortly, when the owners ot Dpro with 'pocket' version of GPO may upgrade. Is it so ? And as you said, if 'The pocket version has everything in the original GPO, with a few exceptions', what is the necessity of upgradation ?

Kishore Sen

“A good composer does not imitate, he steals”. Stravinsky

http://www.soundclick.com/kishoresen
    http://www.soundclick.com/sensation
    http://www.myspace.com/kishoresen

earlwgreen
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 82
    RE: How does Dimension Pro compare 2006/06/17 01:07:40 (permalink)
    René,

I've also looked at DP but was uncertain about the piano and digital piano sounds. I would miss the organ though.

There are several great digital pianos ( Delicate EP, EP+MMod Pad, West Coast) on my Roland XP-50 and I wish I could find that sound.

Are you familiar with the XP-50 Roland sounds?

Thanks for any input.

Earl Green
    RAR
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 286
    RE: How does Dimension Pro compare 2006/06/17 01:57:57 (permalink)
    Kontakt 2 has a 15 gig library 7.5 of which is VSL Ochestra which has 28 insruments and sounds great, but the stings are all ensemble. I use Dimension Pro and Kontakt 2 about the same amount of the time.
    post edited by RAR - 2006/06/18 00:36:53

I know a room full of musical tunes.
    Some rhyme, some ching, most of them are clockwork.
    Let's go into the other room and make them work.
    -Barret
    René
    RE: How does Dimension Pro compare 2006/06/17 07:46:30 (permalink)
    I came to know from someone in this forum that Dpro is going to bundle full 'Garritan Personal Orchestra' shortly, when the owners ot Dpro with 'pocket' version of GPO may upgrade. Is it so ? And as you said, if 'The pocket version has everything in the original GPO, with a few exceptions', what is the necessity of upgradation ?

Well, I don't think that is correct (DP about to bundle the full GPO), or at least I haven't heard of it. Perhaps that 'someone' has some info I don't
    I think Gary mentioned that the full GPO for DP was in preparation. I heard he's on something called 'GPOA" or Garritan Personal Orchestra Advanced, with tons of new stuff on it.

I've also looked at DP but was uncertain about the piano and digital piano sounds. I would miss the organ though.

Dimension Pro features a Yamaha C7, which -in my subjective opinion- works better for any exposed or solo piano cue when compared with any piano I've heard in hardware, and with most of the software packages of comparable size. IIRC, the GPO has a Steinway piano, with a very 'classical' sound. Regarding the organ, we have included pop/jazz/rock/soul organs instead of the GPO Concert Pipe organ in DP.

-René
    Sen
    RE: How does Dimension Pro compare 2006/06/17 08:42:26 (permalink)

Well, I don't think that is correct (DP about to bundle the full GPO), or at least I haven't heard of it. Perhaps that 'someone' has some info I don't
    I think Gary mentioned that the full GPO for DP was in preparation. I heard he's on something called 'GPOA" or Garritan Personal Orchestra Advanced, with tons of new stuff on it.

Well, I might have misinterpreted what he meant. Perhaps, he also wanted to mean GPOA. I think it is all the same. I am already very happy with existing DimPro (Gpocket). I shall eagerly wait for GPOA. Is it expected very soon ?

This was the source of my information.

Thank you

Kishore Sen

lawapa
    RE: How does Dimension Pro compare 2006/06/17 09:36:07 (permalink)
    Garritan Personal Orchestra Advanced, with tons of new stuff on it.

Early on I had heard the full version would be ported at some later date but I didn't know about the A version at all. This is news to me. But more is better right? So this might account for why it's not happened as yet?
    Sen
    RE: How does Dimension Pro compare 2006/06/17 11:13:20 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: lawapa

Garritan Personal Orchestra Advanced, with tons of new stuff on it.

Early on I had heard the full version would be ported at some later date but I didn't know about the A version at all. This is news to me. But more is better right? So this might account for why it's not happened as yet?

Lawapa, it is all the same. I have already acquired Project 5 and Dimension Pro, as it is now. I have started working with it now and found it to be extremely good. I wonder what a great piece of art will it be with tons of new stuff .

Kishore Sen

René
    RE: How does Dimension Pro compare 2006/06/17 11:29:37 (permalink)
    Well, I might have misinterpreted what he meant. Perhaps, he also wanted to mean GPOA. I think it is all the same. I am already very happy with existing DimPro (Gpocket). I shall eagerly wait for GPOA. Is it expected very soon ?

I have no idea, it's not a Cakewalk product but a Garritan product. You can get more info in their site, http://www.garritan.com. I heard about GPOA in the Garritan forums at NorthernSounds, I haven't seen official info about releases.

-René
    tomhan
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 158
    RE: How does Dimension Pro compare 2006/06/19 11:23:09 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: lawapa

I got the impression the the pocket orchestra was smaller. I was wrong. Since Dpro has some really nice piano's and well what Rene said. I think the harp in Dpro was really good as well and I'm not sure if that comes with the Personal orchestra. That answers why I've heard nothing further about the full GPO for dimension Pro. Most of it is already there. I just didn't know that. Several threads have asked about this. When? And all along It was right there except for organ and maybe a few other things. That makes Dpro an even better deal than I thought.

I use DP more and more these days. It's unique an open sound character has begun to grow on me. However, I just purchased Garritan Peronal Orchestra and there are distinct differences between the two programs. GPO is a great companion to DP. First, the Kontakt player is designed specifically for GPO and all user adjustments are designed for setting up and tweaking the orchestra. Next, GPO has 8 discrete stereo outputs so you can easily apply eq, ambience, and control the routing for each of the outputs. More importantly is Garritan Studio, which is a free download to registered users. It allows you to run up to eight instances of GPO (thats 64 discrete tracks) all syncronized and controlled from one interface. GPO also maps out key switching which allows you to instantly change to various style of trills, alternating up/down bow strokes, and a variety of real time expression not available in DP. Maybe Garritan's pending DP version will offer some of these features. I'm very happy that I bought the full version of GPO and even happier that I own both GPO and DP.

To have peace, teach peace.
    lawapa
    RE: How does Dimension Pro compare 2006/06/19 20:56:31 (permalink)
    tomhan; I do thank you for taking the time to detail the difference between Dpro And GPO. I was looking at this product with interest for a time. And to understand the difference does help. It also helps to know that they can compliment each other well.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1