Computer Music Samples in SFZ Format

Author
b rock
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8717
2006/06/23 11:45:04 (permalink)

Computer Music Samples in SFZ Format

This may be old news, as I tend to shelve these sample collections for later use, if I need them. I happened across the March '06 [CM97] DVD from Computer Music magazine, and noticed that Scot Solida / The Electronic Garden started offering some of the samples defined in the .sfz format. It looked complete enough, so why not? Just copy the individual sample folders to disk, and drop in the matching .sfz file to each companion sample folder.

I left the samples outside of any one Multisample folder; both for organizational purposes, and easy navigation from either Dimension Pro or Rapture. DP would be the optimized route, as these samples are a little larger and not reduced to wavetable form. Plus the samples themselves are mainly 'pre-processed'. But they'll also work in Rapture, especially if you'd like to use things like multiple filters/routing or StepGens. This particular collection consists of '80's soft-synth material, so I wanted to keep my options open.

But there were some growing pains here; something got lost in the (Chicken) translation. This may have been corrected for subsequent collections, but I was getting opcode errors everywhere. I turns out that there was a syntax error in all of the ampeg_ codes; they were mislabeled as 'ampeq_ opcodes. And I deleted all of the lines containing a reference to 'ampeq_depth=127'.

This would be easy pickin's for an editor like UltraEdit32, but it's really not that bad in Notepad, either (once you get the rhythm down). You change 6 letters and delete one line in each Region. You end up with some useful additions for either synth.

4 Replies Related Threads

mumpcake
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Computer Music Samples in SFZ Format 2006/06/23 18:08:50 (permalink)
    Here's a link with sfz mappings for earlier issues of CM and MusicTech
    http://www.drealm.info/sfz/CMsfz/
    mikebeck
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 29
    RE: Computer Music Samples in SFZ Format 2006/06/23 19:22:53 (permalink)
    Thanks for reminding me of this - I didn't have time a few months ago and ended up forgetting all about the sfz files from CM.
    lawapa
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: Computer Music Samples in SFZ Format 2006/06/23 19:50:18 (permalink)
    Yes indeed;)+) Scot Solida's content is very good. The man has a synth museum in house and knows how to use em all.
    mikebeck
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 29
    RE: Computer Music Samples in SFZ Format 2006/06/24 14:03:50 (permalink)
    Good content, yes. I learn something every time I read him - whether a published article or a forum post. Seems like a genuinely cool guy, too.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1