Rapture - Top Level Flow and Basic Modulation

Author
Cygnus
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13
2006/06/28 18:57:16 (permalink)

Rapture - Top Level Flow and Basic Modulation

As an exercise to understand some of Rapture's basic behavior, I drafted the attached diagram with the goals of showing:

1) The basic signal flow through an Element (up to the Global processor)
2) The relationship of the Modulators (LFO, EG and Step) to the seven destination parameters within the signal path for each Element

Please view this as a provisional picture of things, with the hope that folks much closer to Rapture's design will update, correct and expand on these fundamentals.

One area I've tried to briefly cover is the interaction of the three modulator types when more than one is active at a time. In most cases their effects add, with the exception of Amplitude modulation, in which case the LFO's modulation is scaled (multiplied) by the EG and Step envelope. I'm still not quite sure how to express the whole Pan modulation thing, so that will have to wait for a better mind.

Another key point relates to the nature of the LFO itself and the fact that its modulation is, from what I have observed, always bi-polar (plus and minus). For example, if we set the LFO depth to 1200 cents for Pitch modulation, the waveform pitch will shift between minus one and plus one octave. Likewise, if the CUT1 or CUT2 frequency is LFO modulated by 1200 cents, the cutoff frequency will shift +/- an octave around its base (knob) frequency setting.

I welcome feedback on all this as I surely have lingering misunderstandings, even at this level.

Best Regards,
Paul

[image] Rapture_toplevel.jpg [/image]

PS: If I'm clueless as to how to properly attach the file I want to, could someone please let me know how to do it right - Thanks !

7 Replies Related Threads

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Rapture - Top Level Flow and Basic Modulation 2006/06/29 00:02:47 (permalink)
    Paul,

your image didn't show up. But I'm clueless, too. Sounds interesting if I ever get a look at it. Maybe B-rock or Chad can help. I've never done "ïmage" button.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Cygnus
    RE: Rapture - Top Level Flow and Basic Modulation 2006/06/29 07:43:28 (permalink)

Thanks AT,
    Absolutely right, the image did not attach. I checked out the FAQ page and it says:
    you can embed the uploaded picture in the post directly by checking the box: “Embed picture in post”.

But I sure don't know where that check-box is to be found. And I know others have successfully done this before

Suggestions from those in the know are welcomed !

Paul
    b rock
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Rapture - Top Level Flow and Basic Modulation 2006/06/29 08:24:50 (permalink)
    Cyg, with the [image[[/image] tags, the targeted picture needs to reside at a URL address already. From your first post, it looks to me that you tried pointing to the name of a file on your hard drive. In that sense, the images don't 'attach', as they would to an e-mail. There are free image hosting sites out there where you can upload your pix, and then point to them. I won't recommend any specific sites; it'll depend on much BS you want to tolerate for 'free' space.

If the target image is already somewhere online, here's the easiest method that I've found: Right-click on the image, select Properties, and copy the URL address to the clipboard. Back in your forum post, paste in address link, and highlight it with your cursor. Hit the 'image' button (above in your reply), and the image is tagged.

Check with the Preview button below (in your reply) to see if the pic loads. Sometimes online pics can't be linked to for specific reasons (copyright; hosting site bandwidth considerations; unsupported image), but most often, it's a misplaced bracket or an extra space that'll cause a problem.

Herer's an example. I took an image with these Properties: http://www.asel.udel.edu/speech/tutorials/acoustics/phase.gif. Then I highlighted that link (this is key; the tags jump to wherever your cursor is at the moment). Then I highlighted (selected) that whole mess, and hit the Center button.

Cygnus
    RE: Rapture - Top Level Flow and Basic Modulation 2006/07/01 09:22:04 (permalink)
    Much thanks B for taking the time to illuminate the attachment process .

The subject block diagram :

Cyg
    b rock
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Rapture - Top Level Flow and Basic Modulation 2006/07/01 11:20:49 (permalink)
    Now there's a great block diagram, Cyg. The only thing that I might suggest is indicating how the MIDI Matrix remains outside the influence of the Modulators/FX/etc. until inserted. Once a slot is activated, the values are added to the Modulator settings. It's up to you on how to best incorporate that. I come from an electronics background, so I think in schematic terms.

I'm unsure if you have access to the Dimension Pro manual. There's a flowchart-style design of the signal flow on p. 22 of that manual that may give you some ideas. Great work on the visualization of process.
    techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: Rapture - Top Level Flow and Basic Modulation 2006/07/01 12:09:03 (permalink)
    Great work! I want to put it up on the Rapture Wiki when you have finalized it.

-Techead
    Cygnus
    RE: Rapture - Top Level Flow and Basic Modulation 2006/07/02 13:48:58 (permalink)
    Appreciate the positive feedback B and Techead !

B - good idea on adding the matrix relationship. Will do.

Techead - thanks for the offer to drop into the Wiki page after another iteration or so.

Regards, Cyg
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1