New Soundcard- No Sound

Author
No How
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5180
2006/06/29 19:49:09 (permalink)

New Soundcard- No Sound

I'm having a very hard time getting sound to come out of my computer.
I installed the E-MU0404 soundcard and have my speakers in correctly and I checked the 'device/hardware' box to see if everything is enabled and working and it is.
In my MIDI OPTIONS window I have the E-MU 0404 in both the 'in' and the 'out' column.
My son gets sounds for his games (must be the microsoft sound) but anything I record on MC isn't audible. It does record and the midi seems to be working.
What did i miss?
Thanks for the help.

11 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: New Soundcard- No Sound 2006/06/30 07:57:18 (permalink)
    NoHow, a lot of things you've said are confusing me. I don't understand what you mean by checking the 'device/hardware' box - is this in windows?

You keep talking about MIDI, but I'm not certain you are trying to play MIDI, and if so, what are you trying to play it to? What are you recording in MC? are you recording MIDI from a keyboard connected to the MIDI ports of your 0404? what are you trying to play in MC? are you trying to play a MIDI file or an audio file?

have you done the tutorials and the "getting started" in the help files?

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: New Soundcard- No Sound 2006/06/30 13:18:54 (permalink)
    If you are asking the E-MU 0404 to replay midi it must be setup to play thru either Microsoftsynth GS, since it has no built in synth chip.

If it were me i would use the old built in sound chip for games and the E-MU only for recording, because if you use the e-mu f0r the games you need to set the game up to play thru microsoft synth GS and then MC to play thru softsynths in the ASIO mode. This is most likely why it does not work in MC now, because you are most likely in WDM mode there or even ASIO and those driver modes do not see Microsoft synth GS. Read the help files on using softsynths and it will work

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    No How
    RE: New Soundcard- No Sound 2006/06/30 23:08:39 (permalink)
    Beagle,
    yes, it is in windows where i checked devices. I recorded some sounds from a keyboard into MC thru the E MU and it was registering. I can see that the playback is also registering on the meters but no sound.
    I had the track set to midi . I did read the tutorials about 5 times. I am at a loss to say the least.

Robomusic,
    I don't know how to make it play thru Microsoftsynth GS. I guess I should go back into windows and 'enable' the sound i 'disabled'. I bought some adaptors to get my speakers to come from the E MU card instead of the usual port on the computer. Should I connect the speakers back into the usual computer port or leave them hooked thru the E mu 0404?

Thank you both for your response and help.
    No How
    RE: New Soundcard- No Sound 2006/06/30 23:23:18 (permalink)
    Hello friends,
    I have sound. I enabled the Microsoftsynth GS in Audio default playback. Is my E-MU still doing it's job?
    Thank you.
    Beagle
    RE: New Soundcard- No Sound 2006/06/30 23:55:33 (permalink)
    Yes your sound card is doing its job!

My next question was going to be - did you record SOUNDS from your keyboard or did you record MIDI from your keyboard. Your last post told me that you recorded MIDI from the keyboard and that's why you weren't getting any sound back from MC during playback. But if that's the case, then you shouldn't have been able to hear any sound from Tutorial1 - 3, either.

Since you have the EMU0404, I would suggest that you do NOT use MS GS Wavetable as your MIDI output. The sound card itself will NOT play MIDI, it does not have any embedded soundfonts in it like soundblaster cards do, and you have the opportunity to use soft synths.

I suggest you change your driver mode to either ASIO or WDM (you're currently using MME if you can play MS Wavetable). OPTIONS>AUDIO>ADVANCED>DRIVER MODE. ASIO will give you the best results with the 0404, but if for some strange reason things don't work, change it back to WDM.

BEFORE you think things don't work, however, you will NOT be able to play MIDI files with MS GS Wavetable in ASIO or WDM mode, so the keyboard you just "recorded" will not play. Tutorials 5+ WILL play in these modes, however, so check them to make sure your driver mode is working correctly before moving on to the next step.

after you've selected ASIO or WDM and settled into it, you'll need to learn to insert softsynths. Here's my tutorial:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The tutorials for all of the CW projects are the same (for recent versions). One thing I don't like about the tutorials is that it basically assumes you know already that you need to insert a DXi synth or that your computer has embedded sound fonts (like a SB card).

when you are following the tutorials, you go first to:

TUTORIAL 1 -- THE BASICS
    after reading that page, you follow the next link at the bottom of that page
    OPENING A PROJECT FILE
    then you follow
    SETTING OUTPUTS

this is where CW left the beginner in the dark. At the bottom of this page, it tells you to set your MIDI outputs, but it doesn't tell you what to expect to set them to and it doesn't address inserting a DXi Synth

Here's what they left out:
    When you go to OPTIONS>AUDIO>ADVANCED
    If you are running with driver mode: MME then follow the next steps, if you are running with WDM or ASIO, then skip down to follow the instructions on how to insert a DXi Synth

No How - skip this part in red.
    go to
    OPTIONS>MIDI DEVICES
    for your OUTPUT choose MS Wavetable Synth

NOW go to your track view and follow the instructions from the help file to set your OUTPUT of each MIDI track to MS Wavetable Synth

If that doesn't work, or if you are using WDM or ASIO drivers, then you need to:
    insert a DXi Synth

choose INSERT>DXI SYNTH>EDIROL VSC

a pop up window will appear. choose ONE output and NO SOURCE, leave the other options checked
    another pop up will appear. for now, you don't need to worry about it, just move it out of your way.
    now go to each of the MIDI tracks. CW has the software to do most of the work for you, but you need to check it. from the ADVANCED TAB in the TRACK VIEW, look at each of your MIDI tracks and you'll probably have to change at least the BANK (that's what I've found from experience using SHS, that it doesn't set the bank for you). just choose the top BANK 0 for all of the NON DRUM tracks. For each of the drum tracks, select BANK 10 (DRUM KIT). The other selections at this point should fall into place for you. If not, use the pull down menus for each one and change them to something that resembles what the track is supposed to be (i.e. for DRUMS, select CHANNEL 10, PATCH = JAZZ)

After you've set all of the MIDI tracks in this tutorial, then try to continue with the tutorial and play the project.

If you have any specific questions, or can't get something here to work, let us know and someone can try to help further.

Beagle
    RE: New Soundcard- No Sound 2006/06/30 23:57:34 (permalink)
    And as Robo said above, use your on board sound card for your games instead of the EMU and that should allow you to run both.

No How
    RE: New Soundcard- No Sound 2006/07/01 10:45:47 (permalink)
    Beagle,
    I never knew the tutorials were audio. I was just reading them. I will walk myself thru your tutorial and get back to you with questions.
    No How
    RE: New Soundcard- No Sound 2006/07/01 11:37:22 (permalink)
    Beagle,
    I can not find Tutorial #5 to check things out with. I found tutorials #1,4 and 8 but no 5 (2,3,6 or7 either). I have no sound from cakewalk again (I don't know why). This is frustrating. How can I find #5 and what am I doing wrong?
    Beagle
    RE: New Soundcard- No Sound 2006/07/01 11:51:25 (permalink)
    No How - Im not sure why you don't have tutorial 5, it should have loaded on your hard drive with installation along with the rest. there are no tutorial files for 2,3,6 or 7, just for 1,4, 5 & 8.

If tutorial 5 is not there, I'm worried that you may have other things that weren't installed with your installation.

tutorial #8 will do the same thing for us, tho. open #8 see if you get sound out using ASIO or WDM driver mode. If not, change it back to MME - then try again. Get one of them to play the audio files (in order of preference: ASIO, WDM then MME)

Then open tutorial #1 and try inserting Edirol per the instructions above.

Then I suggest that you follow ALL of the tutorials in the help file. They will help you learn a lot about MC and recording.
    post edited by Beagle - 2006/07/01 12:05:29

No How
    RE: New Soundcard- No Sound 2006/07/01 12:17:35 (permalink)
    Beagle,
    I could not get the WDM to work so i got the MME to work. There is sound with tutorial #8. When I close a session or file there is no way to open a new file without closing the entire MC down and reopening it. I do not know how to open a file without starting the whole program up again.
    There is no 'file' in the upper left after I've closed the previous project out. When there is a project then the 'file' has no 'open' option in it.
    THank you.
    No How
    RE: New Soundcard- No Sound 2006/07/01 14:02:41 (permalink)
    I couldn't see the 'file' because the screen was not aligned correctly. Sorry bout that. I am able to open files the usual way. I am working thru the tutorials.
    Thank you.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1