delay=3.5
transpose=7
amp_delay=0
ampeg_start=.1
ampeg_attack=.4
ampeg_hold=.4
ampeg_decay=.6
ampeg_release=3.5

If you downloaded my distorted harmonics wave set from rgcaudio stuff And you put this sfz into the folder you will hear what I've been up to.

If you snagged the filter lfo sfz and you put that into the second element turn the cutoff to 7:00 position enable the filter(second click at top)

This new sfz explores new ground for me. By defining just a part of a wave file using offset=/end= and the transpose function along with some amp eg and let's not forget the Delay with out which this could not have been done I selected specific area's of the wave file to sequence.

My only snag was the count opcode crashed my computer so I left it out altogether. And yes it's true when selecting the part of a wavefile to play I did the chance thing. I wanted to see how well Rapture would set a region of a file and play in the blind with out knowing in advance if I had snagged a zero crossing. Not bad I must say

OK all I wanted to accomplish was could I do this. Rapture did it with bells on. As Rene has said many times before the expression engine is the whole enchilada. What we wanted all along. I still have not ventured to the crossfade area as yet. It's on my to do list what can I say.

17 Replies Related Threads

:10:
    Max Output Level: -38.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3678
    RE: weird test.sfz 2006/07/01 09:06:06 (permalink)
    wow....and i am completely lost....lol

none of this makes any sence to me.I guess I will just stick to turning knobs and adding effects until i get something that sounds cool...

...so, what does it sound like? what,..no mp3 samples to go along with it?????................

lawapa
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: weird test.sfz 2006/07/01 10:11:04 (permalink)
    Well, It was only just a few weeks back and I was lost. So I bit the bullet. Put my head down. And kept going till I got exactly what I wanted.

I just finished playing around with 3 sfz's loaded into one instance Of Rapture. Each sfz was about the equivilent of a prog or better. And I have to admit, from one instance of rapture you can do more than I thought you could. Here's the fun part. Each sfz is a text file. If you place it in the folder with your samples it's almost not there size wise. If you want to turn the samples inside out using sfz and create something very different you now have another textfile/sfz in the folder and still no dent but the same sample set now has 2 very different sounds or uses. this can go on for a long time and each different sfz takes only one element to load up. I was hitting close to 60 layers and 10% cpu For a sound so big it was almost a tune in itself.

This is the aspect that makes Rapture/Dpro killer beyond words. This sfz format is the tool that is so different it just begs you to play with it. This make every other synth out there dead in the dust. If this ever catches on nobody will be able to give there's away.
    :10:
    Max Output Level: -38.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3678
    RE: weird test.sfz 2006/07/01 10:36:11 (permalink)
    I think we need a beginers guide to sfz, and how to work with it.

I understand that its a text file, that works as a program to change the properties of the sounds. but thats about it.

I need pictures, and graphs...and....

whitefalcon
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1161
    RE: weird test.sfz 2006/07/01 17:10:17 (permalink)
    I am with you,
    lots of numbers but I have no idea what they all do
    what would happen to the sound if we change a 2 to an 8?
    lawapa
    RE: weird test.sfz 2006/07/01 18:49:31 (permalink)
    Well 10 It goes like this.

<region> tells Rapture this is where you start.

Sample= tells Rapture where the wave file, ogg, wavetable is located.

lokey=1 hikey=128 Tells where you want the sound to play in relation to the keyboard.

pitch_keycenter= tells Rapture what the root note is and is only good on a wavefile that's preped for sampleset use.

offset=200000/ end=385000 this says just play this part of the full sound and ignore everthing else.

volume=4 what ya think it means

delay=3.5 this says play this part 3.5 seconds after note on.

transpose=7 this says play this note 7 semitones down from root

All this is the sounds envelope. Not unlike the gui graphic display but a tad simpler without all the fancy nodes

amp_delay=0
    ampeg_start=.1
    ampeg_attack=.4
    ampeg_hold=.4
    ampeg_decay=.6
    ampeg_release=3.5

SFZ is a not so fancy textfile gui. It remains hidden but instructs Rapture/Dpro on load and everything it states is kinda hardwired. While it can be a tad difficult to zero in in the gui what you say with the sfz is good to go if you have not exceeded the spec, or are out of range.

post edited by lawapa - 2006/07/01 19:04:20
    lawapa
    RE: weird test.sfz 2006/07/01 22:24:41 (permalink)
    That is a great work saver. I wondered about <group> for a while. I understood it kind of set global parameters for a set.

I do have a ways to go to catch up with the master
    Markus Copol
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 691
    RE: weird test.sfz 2006/07/01 22:48:05 (permalink)
    lawapa a favour !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just tell us how can we get to the stage of writing these sfz.

I mean I know I have to learn it but I dont know how to start the venture, like where in rapture I should go, which folder and what should I open . If I change a folder does it affect the origional when I save or do I make a new folder . totally lost and need to step foot to the door but cant find it

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: weird test.sfz 2006/07/01 23:12:09 (permalink)
    I dont know how to start the venture
    Markus, allow me to interject here. Let's say that you would like to partition off a safe area to do some testing in. Go to Rapture's Multisample folder, and create a unique subfolder under that (for example: Markus). Now you can copy .sfz files (like Larry's stuff here) to that Markus subfolder. You also need to copy the .wav files or oscillator wavetables referred to in the .sfz to that folder, so that the .sfz file can 'see' it.

Now there are other ways to do this (this is easiest to start), and you could also just load up the Multisample folder itself. But to keep things isolated & neat while you're learning, this might be the way to go. Let's say that you want to use the 000 - sine.wav in an .sfz file. Copy it to the 'Markus' folder, along with any companion .sfz. Little danger of overwriting the default installtion this way.

Then you can open up any existing .sfz in Window's Notepad, or another text editor, and experiment away. Once again, make a copy, so that you don't modify & save over a file that's in use. There's only a handful of .sfz files in Rapture, because of the nature of the synth. If you have access to Dimension or Dimension Pro, there's more to learn from, and (as you can see), they're popping up all over this forum.

The basics of the format (with examples) are [here]. Or use some of your own .wav files. Just put the .wav where the .sfz can 'see' it, and make sure that there's a reference line (such as Larry's 'sample=4-G4.wav' line above) within the .sfz itself.
    lawapa
    RE: weird test.sfz 2006/07/01 23:38:21 (permalink)
    It does take some getting used to. Here's how I do it.
    I decide what I want to use in an sfz. I go to where the file is located. I do a properties box and copy/paste the complete file location to my blank text file I have open and setting in the tray. The first copy sets the path like C:/My Documents/Rapture progs and then the file name in the top like weird.wav.

So now I have the path. C:/My Documents/Rapture progs/weird.wav and it's in a blank text file.

Next step is the start the process with the beginning.

<region>
    sample =C:/My Documents/Rapture progs/weird.wav

If you load this up in Rapture it will be mapped across the full keyboard and will play with out any mods. But to do that you first need to close the text file. rename to yourfilename.sfz and then start Sonar open up rapture and browse to your file location.

Once the file is loaded and you test it to see if it will load and works ok if you right click in the sample window like you want to load the file up again. select it and the open with, notepad. Now if you minimize it to the tray you can edit, save and reload as many times as you'd need to get get it going good. Each time you edit the sfz file if you save and reload you can hear what's happening.
    lawapa
    RE: weird test.sfz 2006/07/01 23:49:18 (permalink)
    I forgot the most important thing Marcus, Just a few weeks ago I was where you were at now. I just kept at it till I got it really going. I did know what I wanted and I had done sample editing for sample sets within software designed to do just that. But sfz is different. It's so open it's kinda hard to get a handle on at first. But it's because it's completely open and needs no special software that it rocks the socks off anything else. It's the berries. it rings the bells. And once you start getting something you like with sfz. It will grow on you big time.
    Markus Copol
    RE: weird test.sfz 2006/07/02 07:15:03 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: b rock

Now there are other ways to do this (this is easiest to start), and you could also just load up the Multisample folder itself. But to keep things isolated & neat while you're learning, this might be the way to go. Let's say that you want to use the 000 - sine.wav in an .sfz file. Copy it to the 'Markus' folder, along with any companion .sfz. Little danger of overwriting the default installtion this way.

b rock , I appreciate it. stepping in on time to the rescue.

ORIGINAL: lawapa

So now I have the path. C:/My Documents/Rapture progs/weird.wav and it's in a blank text file.

Next step is the start the process with the beginning.

<region>
    sample =C:/My Documents/Rapture progs/weird.wav

If you load this up in Rapture it will be mapped across the full keyboard and will play with out any mods. But to do that you first need to close the text file. rename to yourfilename.sfz and then start Sonar open up rapture and browse to your file location.

Once the file is loaded and you test it to see if it will load and works ok if you right click in the sample window like you want to load the file up again. select it and the open with, notepad. Now if you minimize it to the tray you can edit, save and reload as many times as you'd need to get get it going good. Each time you edit the sfz file if you save and reload you can hear what's happening.

lawapa, just what I needed , thanks so much . At least I know now where I can start

I was wondering if you or b rock have a demo that shows the power of the sfz use and to compare with tweaks and knobs. because now need to figure out what am I going to do with this knowledge and what do I want.
    just to raise the bar of expectations.

post edited by Markus Copol - 2006/07/02 07:26:30
    lawapa
    RE: weird test.sfz 2006/07/02 08:42:10 (permalink)
    I was wondering if you or b rock have a demo that shows the power of the sfz use and to compare with tweaks and knobs. because now need to figure out what am I going to do with this knowledge and what do I want.

Well no video tutorial just yet

Do you have both Dpro and Rapture? Or do you have some home made samples? Soundfonts?

Project5.com I uploaded my Machine gun.sfz last night you can down load that now. it's got the sfz file, wavefile and Rapture prog. in a zipped folder.

Chad redid my weird sfz. and it uses the G4 sample you'll have in Machine gun. copy/paste it to the folder double check file name and it should load.

Every sfz file can be thought of as a template. all you do is change the file path and then reset the specifics to the fit the file. and you've got something new. I always do the copy/paste to a new text file change the particulars to fit, save and rename.

If you do up a new folder as you should, name it so it's good set all your homemade samples to it (if I do a set they are in a folder within the new folder) and then set all your sfz files to it with names so you can find then later.
    Markus Copol
    RE: weird test.sfz 2006/07/02 12:45:29 (permalink)

Well no video tutorial just yet

Do you have both Dpro and Rapture? Or do you have some home made samples? Soundfonts?

Project5.com I uploaded my Machine gun.sfz last night you can down load that now. it's got the sfz file, wavefile and Rapture prog. in a zipped folder.

Chad redid my weird sfz. and it uses the G4 sample you'll have in Machine gun. copy/paste it to the folder double check file name and it should load.

Every sfz file can be thought of as a template. all you do is change the file path and then reset the specifics to the fit the file. and you've got something new. I always do the copy/paste to a new text file change the particulars to fit, save and rename.

If you do up a new folder as you should, name it so it's good set all your homemade samples to it (if I do a set they are in a folder within the new folder) and then set all your sfz files to it with names so you can find then later.

I have both dp and rapture. I am going to download ad follow your instructions let the fun begin
    lawapa
    RE: weird test.sfz 2006/07/02 13:28:42 (permalink)
    Dpro as you well know has some mighty fine sample sets. And all you need to do is define a path to use these in Rapture. What this means is you don't need much by way of outside sample content as you have a bunch already, and top quality at that. Any of the sfz's I put up here can be moded to use a Dpro sample by changing the sample=(path to sample here) and also you can experiment using different types of sounds instead of the one's I example to.

Be aware that different samples will have a different range. This works out to if offset= is out past the sample end no sound will play
    Markus Copol
    RE: weird test.sfz 2006/07/02 18:45:58 (permalink)

Be aware that different samples will have a different range. This works out to if offset= is out past the sample end no sound will play

is out past the sample

thanks for the heads up. I hope I do not set the lab on fire
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: weird test.sfz 2006/07/03 19:09:27 (permalink)
    you will hear what I've been up to.
    OK, now I really like this one. All of that built-in complexity as the sound progresses. You've got me copying it into other Elements for quickie transposing to parallel harmony. I've been pasting wavetables end-to-end lately for sequencing. Now, if the two concepts were combined ...
    lawapa
    RE: weird test.sfz 2006/07/03 20:33:45 (permalink)
    Tom I stuck the lowkey/hikey in so I could keyzone these files. But as per most of the time I get side tracked with surprizes. That happens when doing sfz's. I had intended to use this with the filter LFO sfz and have keyzones using that wavefile to add to it. Now my work flow is something like this. I set a region, do a file load to rapture, listen, add another region, listen, tweak, add another region. Keeping notepad in the tray and doing save, then reload. I almost never type another region I just copy/paste and change the info as I look at sfz as the ultimate select and use gui. Like a control pannel with interchangeable widgets. In the end instead of combineing filter/weird. I just posted this up. And why not. I only use 2 elements in a single Rapture instance. Is that weird or what? Big? huge? wow?

If you can get your mind around using the sfz format as a big modular widget factory where you can add a sample= wavefile or a oscillator_on= synth widget, volume= level widget or a pan= position widget or a fil_type= thingie.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1