RME v. Lynx

Author
SurfingMusicMan
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 439
2006/07/05 14:22:05 (permalink)

RME v. Lynx

I’m planning on buying a new interface in the relatively near future. It looks like a couple of the favorites out there are the Lynx and RME. I’m curious, are there opinions out there that one is better than the other?

How are the preamps in the RME? Are they pretty decent?

I’m also open to suggestions of other interfaces under $2,000.

Thanks!

15 Replies Related Threads

OffAnAirplane
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1386
    RE: RME v. Lynx 2006/07/05 14:39:15 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: barthowk

I’m planning on buying a new interface in the relatively near future. It looks like a couple of the favorites out there are the Lynx and RME. I’m curious, are there opinions out there that one is better than the other?

How are the preamps in the RME? Are they pretty decent?

I’m also open to suggestions of other interfaces under $2,000.

Thanks!

I've never used either, but from what I understand MOTU is right up there with them.

Rom 8:18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us.
    dali lama
    • Total Posts : 448
    RE: RME v. Lynx 2006/07/05 16:17:12 (permalink)
    Uhhhh....I wouldn't include Motu in there. I'm thinking that Lynx is the crowd favorite and for 8 channels, the Lynx Aurora is hard to beat both sonically and price-wise. You're talking, if I remember correctly, about $1600-1800 for the Aurora and another $600 for the pci card. A little more than what you were hoping but you'd have arguably some of the best conversion available.

Next is the FF800. Very good conversion and very solid implementation. The pres are thought to be somewhere between good to a notch above very good. I have one and I can vouch for the unit. I love it and get VERY good sound with it. That being said, I will, one day, be getting my dirty little paws on a Lynx Aurora 16 just as soon as I can(other links in the chain take precedent right now). Part of that desire stems from an untreatable case of gear disease because the FF800 is more than enough to get any job done well.

I do not have any experience with Motu gear except for a midi express that works flawlessly. But the reigning impression that this and other forums have is that Motu, while it is getting better, has less than good sounding pres and conversion. A modification by a company named Black Lion has been reported to make a huge improvement in sonics but I wonder if the economics make sense after a purchase and the mod.

My .02
    ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: RME v. Lynx 2006/07/05 16:45:21 (permalink)
    I can confirm what Dali has said wrt the FF800 and Motu 828.
    Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    RE: RME v. Lynx 2006/07/05 17:01:56 (permalink)
    I did a lot of research and mostly what you read is that Lynx, RME then Motu is the order of quality and results. I use the Lynx myself and couldn't be happier, unless you want to give me a rack of Apogee.

Overall however, the RME is just slightly less detailed than Lynx. Either one will do an adequate job.
    post edited by Middleman - 2006/07/05 17:12:47
    OffAnAirplane
    RE: RME v. Lynx 2006/07/05 17:23:17 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: dali lama
    But the reigning impression that this and other forums have is that Motu, while it is getting better, has less than good sounding pres and conversion.

Well I personally have used several of their interfaces and I think that "less than good" is way off. They may fall short of Lynx and RME, but they are still quite good. I speak from experience. I've used the 828MkII, 896HD and currently use the 2408MkIII. The pres were about the same quality as Mackie Onyx, which I wouldn't call exceptional, but definititely above average. And the converters are also somewhere between good and exceptional. But this is all a matter of opinion, so there is not much point in arguing.
    post edited by OffAnAirplane - 2006/07/05 17:33:22

Rom 8:18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us.
    ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: RME v. Lynx 2006/07/05 17:39:41 (permalink)
    Here's an example of the Black Lion Audio mod to the Motu 828mkII

The FF800 has the same improved quality as the BLA modified version compare to a stock 828mkII
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: RME v. Lynx 2006/07/05 19:00:50 (permalink)
    I vote for Lynx for quality. The main reason to go RME is for ease of use and portability, if you ever need to use a laptop it's nice to have. I plan to have both some day but for now the Lynx Two is my main card. I think I'll wait and get the RME Fireface 400 for portable use.

Keep in mind the Lynx Aurora could be used with the RME but it's best with a Lynx card because of the LStream interface, having to change sample rates and stuff by hand each time is a pain, that's what I don't like about external converters, also they require a non-error checking serial interface like AES, SPDIF, ADAT, etc.

I hope some day Lynx has a firewire interface for the Aurora, that will be perfect.
    OffAnAirplane
    RE: RME v. Lynx 2006/07/05 20:11:10 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ed_mcg

Here's an example of the Black Lion Audio mod to the Motu 828mkII

The FF800 has the same improved quality as the BLA modified version compare to a stock 828mkII

I can hear the difference, but it is pretty subtle.
    It's not exactly night and day.
    I would feel ripped-off if I spent more than maybe $100 on that modification. It's definitely an improvement, but not a tremendous one. And it's not like it sounded like crap to begin with. And I get better results with my 2408MkIII, but maybe it's just the guitar, I use a 710ce which is a few notches up from the 314. The 314 is not a particularly bright guitar, so you can't really blame the interface for that.
    But I'm probably biased, so I'll shut up now.
    post edited by OffAnAirplane - 2006/07/05 20:44:46

daverich
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3418
    RE: RME v. Lynx 2006/07/06 03:27:58 (permalink)
    The fireface is hands down the best all-round package, sound quality you could always look at the EMU 1820M, you're getting absolutely top notch converters there, but then you'd need to get some very good pre's to go with it.

ff800 gives you a very capable, very sturdy and well produced unit which you can plug into anything. It also makes most average digital gear sound better with it's steadyclock wordclock technology.

Kind regards

Dave Rich

For Sale - 10.5x7ft Whisperroom recording booth.

http://www.daverichband.com
    http://www.soundclick.com/daverich
    jcschild
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3409
    RE: RME v. Lynx 2006/07/06 10:40:41 (permalink)
    HI,

another vote for the Lynx AES card with Aurora. sound quality is equal to Apogee, far less money.
    @ a street price of $2300 ($2900 for 16 i/o) it cant be touched.

on the other hand in the sub $2k an RME fireface cant be beat. add to it say a Presonus Eureka and is $1800 well spent.
    (not that the pres on the RME arent stellar already)

Scott
    ADK
    SurfingMusicMan
    RE: RME v. Lynx 2006/07/28 08:01:45 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: daverich

The fireface is hands down the best all-round package, sound quality you could always look at the EMU 1820M, you're getting absolutely top notch converters there, but then you'd need to get some very good pre's to go with it.

ff800 gives you a very capable, very sturdy and well produced unit which you can plug into anything. It also makes most average digital gear sound better with it's steadyclock wordclock technology.

Kind regards

Dave Rich

Well, the 1820m sounds very enticing, especially because of the quality and price. Are the drivers still giving everyone problems?

I've been looking through the forums and thought I saw somewhere that you are using the 1820m for conversion and RME for drivers. Would you be at all willing to explain how to do that in detail (if you are doing it, that is)? I'd be interested in this approach, but doubt my ability to figure it out!!
    bbdude
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 248
    RE: RME v. Lynx 2006/07/28 14:07:52 (permalink)
    barthowk,
    I have the EMU 1820M and am very satisfied with it. The drivers are well behaved. I don't have very good performance data to give you regarding minimum latency that can be used. I typically operate at ~8 msec latency, mainly because I don't need to do any monitoring of S/W synths, FX, etc, so I give my CPU break when mixing. BTW my DAW CPU is an Athlon-64 4000+.

I do run several external preamps into the EMU 1820M : 2 Presonus Eureka's and an ART TPS (2 channel).

- bbdude
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: RME v. Lynx 2006/07/28 17:05:29 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: barthowk

ORIGINAL: daverich

Kind regards

Dave Rich

Well, the 1820m sounds very enticing, especially because of the quality and price. Are the drivers still giving everyone problems?

I've been looking through the forums and thought I saw somewhere that you are using the 1820m for conversion and RME for drivers. Would you be at all willing to explain how to do that in detail (if you are doing it, that is)? I'd be interested in this approach, but doubt my ability to figure it out!!

Well.. do what you want but I don't think the EMU is in the same catagory as the RME and Lynx. It takes more then just the latest converter chips to make a good sounding interface, the engineering is a fine art that few have mastered. Add to that the fact that driver developement is just as much an art I would tend to go with one of the known good things. RME and Lynx are the top of the line.
    Bill OConnell
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 760
    RE: RME v. Lynx 2006/07/28 20:06:45 (permalink)
    I've got a Lynx L22 and a FF800. The converter specs are a bit better in the Lynx, but in practice, I don't know that I can tell the difference.

Haven't tried the preamps in the FF800 yet. No particular reason--didn't buy it for the pre's and haven't had a need for them so far.

SurfingMusicMan
    RE: RME v. Lynx 2006/07/29 07:23:04 (permalink)
    Well.. do what you want but I don't think the EMU is in the same catagory as the RME and Lynx. It takes more then just the latest converter chips to make a good sounding interface, the engineering is a fine art that few have mastered. Add to that the fact that driver developement is just as much an art I would tend to go with one of the known good things. RME and Lynx are the top of the line.

ohhey, I've read a lot of your posts praising Lynx products, which is actually one of the main reason I'm considering them. I'm fairly ignorant on several issues and can't figure out which Lynx product would be right for me. I'm just looking for something that basically has 8 inputs, 2 outputs (for monitors), and a headphone out that I can use w/ a headphone amp. Any suggestions?

Also, what else is important in an interface besides the converters and drivers (assuming preamps aren't a factor)? I thought converters and drivers were really all that mattered.

Thanks.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1