reverse effects

Author
serauk
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 158
2006/07/07 10:00:44 (permalink)

reverse effects

I have a need to do a reverse echo effect in a track I'm working on and haven't been able to figure it out yet. I'm still learning this software stuff, so I figure its most likely something I'm missing, but is there an easy way to do this? The only way I've figured out is to split my clip so that the piece I need the effect on is a separate clip, then apply reverse audio, apply echo to the clip, then reverse it again.... but I'm afraid to try it because I just know I'll end up destroying the whole clip and my backups won't restore and an asteroid will hit the Earth!!!!

Any clever ideas? how about not-so-clever ones that are better than what I came up with?

thanks

CMWright

25 Replies Related Threads

torhan
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4271
    RE: reverse effects 2006/07/07 10:02:36 (permalink)
    Your process sounds right. You can always make copies of the clips on another audio track, to save your original. Or you can even do a "Save As" to get a separate copy of the project w/o touching the original.

Sonar Platinum
    Premier Tracks
    ASCAP
    mosspa
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 818
    RE: reverse effects 2006/07/07 10:28:33 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: serauk

I have a need to do a reverse echo effect in a track I'm working on and haven't been able to figure it out yet. I'm still learning this software stuff, so I figure its most likely something I'm missing, but is there an easy way to do this? The only way I've figured out is to split my clip so that the piece I need the effect on is a separate clip, then apply reverse audio, apply echo to the clip, then reverse it again.... but I'm afraid to try it because I just know I'll end up destroying the whole clip and my backups won't restore and an asteroid will hit the Earth!!!!

Any clever ideas? how about not-so-clever ones that are better than what I came up with?

thanks

Do you really want to reverse the audio? To reverse the amplitude envlope of the repeat try using a gate, and reverse the envelope control so it clamps tight up front then releases. Most free pligin gates will give you about a second or so of release time. You could probably also do it with manual volume control... think Steve Howe and "Soon"

John

AsRock Taichi 399, AMD Threadripper 1950x  O.C. 4.0GHz. 64GB DDR4-3200, Win 10 Pro,  Focusrite Scarlet 18i 20/Scarlet Octo Pre.  Frontier Design Apache ADAT routing, MOTU MTP MIDI Routing
    patrickhamm
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1177
    RE: reverse effects 2006/07/07 11:00:54 (permalink)

when I need to do this, I ctrl+shift+drag the clip in question to a new track. it's vital that you keep a copy of the original audio on hand for backup and for timing purposes. After the copy, I reverse, apply the effect, reverse back and nudge into the correct place, using the original audio as my guide (if placement isn't clear).

HTH...
    serauk
    RE: reverse effects 2006/07/07 13:03:20 (permalink)
    Thanks folks - I'll give it a shot tonight - it just seemed like I've seen an effect somewhere that does reverse-echo - what I'm looking for is something like the vocal verse intros in Black Sabbath's Megalomania track (I know, I know, move into the 21st century, I get that a lot, can I help it that I liked the 70s?)

CMWright
    newfuturevintage
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1848
    RE: reverse effects 2006/07/07 13:45:18 (permalink)
    (I know, I know, move into the 21st century, I get that a lot, can I help it that I liked the 70s?)

Naw, what was that quote? "If it's too old, you're too loud"?

My inner child is an angry drunk.
    Junski
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1570
    RE: reverse effects 2006/07/08 01:40:48 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: serauk

Thanks folks - I'll give it a shot tonight - it just seemed like I've seen an effect somewhere that does reverse-echo - what I'm looking for is something like the vocal verse intros in Black Sabbath's Megalomania track (I know, I know, move into the 21st century, I get that a lot, can I help it that I liked the 70s?)

IIrc, OhmBoyz did have couple of presets ... but, maybe not as good as you would like to find - http://www.kvraudio.com/get/576.html

Also, TobyBear has least two plugins called RevDelay and DelayDevil (incl. in MonsterBag) that maybe can do the reversing - http://www.tobybear.de/p_monsterbag.html

Other:

q_delOizer - http://home.datacomm.ch/andr/qplugins/
    yaledelay - http://www.blackstonesoftware.com/ (site seems to be under construction)

Junski
    post edited by Junski - 2006/07/24 07:16:18

serauk
    RE: reverse effects 2006/07/08 09:14:32 (permalink)
    thanks for all of the replies - I was able to get the effect I wanted by using John's suggestion of putting a gate in the chain and using a volume envelope - and I also found I do indeed have a 'reverse' effect in my Behringe Virtualizer Pro - reverse reverb, but it sounds pretty close to what I thought I was looking for - just a pain to set up with my current environment as I don't a have a send/return path that I can use without dismantling my monitor path - time to upgrade!!!

and I'm also going to check out those plug ins that Junski posted up - you can never have enough plug ins (this is how I got into trouble with my analog studio - just one more effects device, I still got room...

Thanks again....

CMWright
    glazfolk
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5253
    RE: reverse effects 2006/07/08 09:46:38 (permalink)
    ... and another time try what Pat Hamm suggests. It's quick, neat, easy ... and does the job well.
    losguy
    Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5506
    RE: reverse effects 2006/07/08 10:24:53 (permalink)
    You can also render the effect (just the effect, 100% wet) to a wav, paste it back into the project in a separate track, and reverse it. Then you can play with positioning of the effect separately from the dry source.

Psalm 30:12
    All pure waves converge at the Origin
    mosspa
    RE: reverse effects 2006/07/08 17:38:49 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: glazfolk

... and another time try what Pat Hamm suggests. It's quick, neat, easy ... and does the job well.

Having my son (the guitarist) living in the house and sharing the studio made me instantly aware of what serauk probably meant by "reverse echo". A couple weeks ago he went on-and-on about needing a Boss DD-6 stompbox to do reverse delay "like Jimmy Page used to do in the 70s". I had no idea what he was talking about until after he brought the DD-6 home and showed me. I then let him listen to "Soon" (because this is the most readily available exagerated version of the effect of which I am aware), and explained that all Howe was doing was reversing the attack using either a volume pedal or the volume knob on his guitar BEFORE an Echoplex. Then I showed him how you could automate the effect with controling the envelope of a gate before it gets sent into a delay. The thing is that the only thing that gets reversed is the envelope of the attack. Everything still goes in the same direction as the original signal.
    post edited by mosspa - 2006/07/08 17:50:16

John

AsRock Taichi 399, AMD Threadripper 1950x  O.C. 4.0GHz. 64GB DDR4-3200, Win 10 Pro,  Focusrite Scarlet 18i 20/Scarlet Octo Pre.  Frontier Design Apache ADAT routing, MOTU MTP MIDI Routing
    jungfriend
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 746
    RE: reverse effects 2006/07/09 00:04:26 (permalink)
    I know it's not a clever idea, but if you have a Line 6 PODxt you could use the reverse delay. Pretty straightforward but has a good sound. I have heard of a freeware plugin called Yaledelay that supposedly does reverse echo but I've never used it.

Paul
    post edited by jungfriend - 2006/07/09 00:15:57

Sonar X2 PE, ADK Core i7 920 3.6ghz 12gb, UAD-2 Quad,  2x20"+2x19" LCDs, Focal CMS 50, POD HD500, Layla 3G, PoCo mkII PCI-e, Tranzport, Edirol M-16DX, Remote SL61, Mackie MCU, NI Kore 2, NI Komplete, NI Maschine, etc.
    grady
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 26
    RE: reverse effects 2006/07/12 10:17:56 (permalink)
    Process(i think)--->Audio----->Reverse.

"Reaching out to embrace whatever may come."
    mosspa
    RE: reverse effects 2006/07/12 15:46:21 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: grady

Process(i think)--->Audio----->Reverse.

Again, this isn't what he/she wanted to accomplish. This isn't reverse echo/delay

John

mlockett
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2099
    RE: reverse effects 2006/07/12 16:04:58 (permalink)
    I do this (for quicky fx) on a number of effect w/verb. I always keep a copy of the original, and turn the verb up to 100% on the backward channel; that way I can mix the effect ot taste after the fact.

Check out the song "Wandering" in my sig at about 3:05 for a pretty exaggerated use of this.
    mosspa
    RE: reverse effects 2006/07/12 16:26:20 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: mlockett
    Check out the song "Wandering" in my sig at about 3:05 for a pretty exaggerated use of this.

Mike,

I checked out your tune. I like the vibe. However, the effect you mention is not what serauk was looking for. See my post about 5 up for a description of the "reverse echo/delay" effect. The only thing that is reversed is the amplitude envelope of the signal going into the delay. Nothing in the frequency domain is reversed.
    post edited by mosspa - 2006/07/12 16:37:03

John

mlockett
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2099
    RE: reverse effects 2006/07/12 16:45:56 (permalink)
    However

ORIGINAL: mosspa

Mike,

I checked out your tune. I like the vibe. However, the effect you mention is not what serauk was looking for. See my post about 5 up for a description of the "reverse echo/delay" effect. The only thing that is reversed is the amplitude envelope of the signal going into the delay. Nothing in the frequency domain is reversed.

That's cool. Sometimes I'm not totally clear on what a person is attempting to accomplish. Verbalizing these things is (and understanding them) can be a tricky process... to borrow an expression... it's like dancing about architecture. :-)
    mosspa
    RE: reverse effects 2006/07/12 17:02:11 (permalink)
    Sometimes I'm not totally clear on what a person is attempting to accomplish. Verbalizing these things is (and understanding them) can be a tricky process... to borrow an expression... it's like dancing about architecture. :-)

I agree, if my son didn't demonstrate the effect to me, I would have thought that something in the frequency domain got reversed, as well, or at least the "echos" would be reversed going from most dampened to least dampened, or something.

John

serauk
    RE: reverse effects 2006/07/12 17:26:27 (permalink)
    Gee guys - this turned out to be an interesting topic - but yeah the actual effect I was originally going for was more along the lines of an echo that starts quiet and ends up at 'normal' volume. And doing the cut and paste method certainly works, although tedious and scary, because of the odd things that have happened to my computer (and backups) over the last few months. But it turns out that after I looked at the track some more (its a vocal part) the less sure I was that was really the effect I wanted. It turned out using a delay fx with a gate and a volume envelope gave me exactly what I wanted (but didn't know I needed)...

Again, appreciate all of the comments and suggestions - one of the things I like best about Sonar is this forum...

CMWright
    grady
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 26
    RE: reverse effects 2006/07/13 00:02:53 (permalink)
    I understood what he was trying to do....And there may be an awesome way to do it, that I'm also missing. But reverse it...YOU SAID ITS VOX RIGHT? Then work with it. you'll find the sound you're lookin for. You can put echo/delay whatever, after you have it placed and trimmed. Again...My opinion.

"Reaching out to embrace whatever may come."
    ...wicked
    Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7360
    RE: reverse effects 2006/07/13 01:09:49 (permalink)
    Interesting. I just mixed a tune that did something close to what you're saying.

+ I copied the clip to a new track, dragged it BACKWARD in time a quarter note (that is, earlier in time).

+ Then I sent it to a delay, with the send set to PRE fader.

+ Then I turned the fader all the way down. This way the track acts more like a trigger.
    The delay leads into the original, untouched vocal track, and I have total control by moving the trigger track around. VOILA!

Who loves ya, baby?

===========
    The Fog People
    ===========

Intel i7-4790 
    16GB RAM
    ASUS Z97 
    Roland OctaCapture
    Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
    billions VSTs, some of which work    
    serauk
    RE: reverse effects 2006/07/13 09:41:26 (permalink)
    Wicked --- that's just amazing (well I was gonna say wicked, but that's a horrible pun) --- that's a great way to do it... just tried it myself and that's almost exactly the sound I had wanted originally -- definitely need to add that to my bag of tricks.... thanks!!!

CMWright
    losguy
    RE: reverse effects 2006/07/13 13:25:12 (permalink)
    That's a great idea, wicked. So it sounds like serauk wanted an anticipatory delay. If that's it, then I like your technique. But as with most things, there are about 100 ways to skin that cat. For instance, you should be able to also accomplish it by placing the delay right in the FX bin of what you call the 'trigger track', with the delay mixed 100% wet.

You can also get the effect of anticipating delay with one track only, by putting the delay in the FX bin of the original track, with the delay mixed louder than dry. Move the clip(s) backward to where you want the 'pre' delay to be, and adjust the delay for where you want the 'front' sound to be. In this case, the 'dry' sound of the delay is the pre-delay, and the 'wet' sound of the delay is the new 'dry' sound. (A little confusing, sorry if not clear.) This method saves a track, but is just harder to control than the 'trigger track' method, as you can easily add automation to the trigger track to control delay and level of the pre-delay only, without affecting the 'dry' portion. Note to self: trigger track.

...wicked
    Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7360
    RE: reverse effects 2006/07/13 13:37:44 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: losguy
    For instance, you should be able to also accomplish it by placing the delay right in the FX bin of what you call the 'trigger track', with the delay mixed 100% wet.

Oh yeah, I reckon you could. The reason I have it on a send is because I'm using that delay bus for several regular tracks as well, sorry to complicate the signal chain!

Depending on your delay, you can get the swell effect too. Waves Supertap, for example, let's you set your levels for each tap discreetly. So, your fourth and fifth taps can be louder than your first, second, and thirds, so the delay gets louder as it repeats.

Lately I've been using Voxengo's TapeDelay, and I still use dB's TempoDelay (FREE). Of course, don't overlook the Sonitus delay, it's quite good.

===========
    The Fog People
    ===========

Intel i7-4790 
    16GB RAM
    ASUS Z97 
    Roland OctaCapture
    Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
    billions VSTs, some of which work    
    losguy
    RE: reverse effects 2006/07/13 14:28:44 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ...wicked
    Oh yeah, I reckon you could. The reason I have it on a send is because I'm using that delay bus for several regular tracks as well, sorry to complicate the signal chain!

That's the beauty of buses. In your case, it would have been more complicated to add delays to the various tracks. Unless, of course, you wanted to have different delays for each of them. I guess what I mean is, it depends on the particular situation whether the signal chain is more or less complicated, one way or the other!

Depending on your delay, you can get the swell effect too. Waves Supertap, for example, let's you set your levels for each tap discreetly. So, your fourth and fifth taps can be louder than your first, second, and thirds, so the delay gets louder as it repeats.

Multitap delay... right. You know, you can kludge a multitap with a bunch of single-taps, each on their own bus. Another neater, but less-flexible way is to cascade two or more delays, then play with the mix and feedback settings. You can get some wild syncopated multitap-sounding stuff with just two or three delays that way. Then there's stereo delay... and surround delay... (!)

Junski
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1570
    RE: reverse effects 2006/07/24 07:07:10 (permalink)
    Has anyone tried ndc Plugs Tempo Sync Reverser for this?

Junski

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1