Virtual B3 in DimPro's XP-1

Author
b rock
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8717
2006/07/18 09:04:22 (permalink)

Virtual B3 in DimPro's XP-1

I must confess that I didn't catch all of the depth in the Virtual B3 setup the first time through. I certainly explored the 50+ programs, noted the 'ice-blue' changes to the GUI controls, and even peeked into the virtual b3.sfz text file that all of these .progs are based on. Very interesting implementation of opcodes there, but with all there is to explore, I filed the in-depth analysis for later on. But when I happened across this 'message in a bottle' , the total concept hit me like a bolt of lightning. Maybe it'll do this same for you ...

Now tell me that doesn't open up possibilities. I won't reprint the virtual b3.sfz file here, but open it up in Notepad and take a look. The B3 core parameters have all been pre-configured and assigned to the GUI controls above. Individual drawbar tweaking (mapped & transposed across the keyboard range); percussive/click sounds with their own (.sfz) envelopes. Controls for the Rotary (Leslie): high & low rotors, crossovers, and rate (I'll be adding 'inertia' to that :). The effects approach here is most intriguing.

The .sfz controls are in complete command until you enable the (labeled) controls; then that control is 'layered' [see below] over the original control. That doesn't seem to be the case in the FX. That appears to be intercepted; I'll have to dive into this deeper for the explanation. All this could be problematic at first glance. If you're BitReducing this gorgeous Hammond, then you deserve what happens. Seriously, without having tested this, I'm thinking that you can Chain Elements to get whatever effect you need from the last Element.

The following chart might come in handy when exploring the virtual b3.sfz. The MIDI convention of CC messages (continuous controllers) has been 'expanded' in the Expression Engine synths to cover (and interact with) the specific GUI controls. Here's a list that I snagged back in the Dimension P5 release period (flesh it out with consecutive numbers). It may/may not be a bit incomplete now, but you'll get the idea of how the .sfz file goes about changing the Dimension Pro interface into another virtual instrument.

GUI_BITRED = 140, 
GUI_DECIM,
GUI_CUTOFF,
GUI_RESO,
GUI_DRIVESHAPE,
GUI_DRIVETONE,

GUI_EQ1ONOFF = 150,
GUI_EQ1GAIN,
GUI_EQ1FREQ,
GUI_EQ1BW,
GUI_EQ2ONOFF,
GUI_EQ2GAIN,
GUI_EQ2FREQ,
GUI_EQ2BW,
GUI_EQ3ONOFF,
GUI_EQ3GAIN,
GUI_EQ3FREQ,
GUI_EQ3BW,

GUI_DLYINPUT = 170,
GUI_DLYTIMEL,
GUI_DLYTIMEC,
GUI_DLYTIMER,
GUI_DLYFEEDB,
GUI_DLYCUTOFF,
GUI_DLYRESO,
GUI_DLYDRY,
GUI_DLYWET,
GUI_DLYLFOFREQ,
GUI_DLYLFODEPTH,

GUI_EGDEPTH1 = 195,
GUI_EGDEPTH2
GUI_EGDEPTH3,
GUI_EGDEPTH4,
GUI_EGDEPTH5,

GUI_LFOFREQ1 = 200,
GUI_LFOFREQ2,
GUI_LFOFREQ3,
GUI_LFOFREQ4,
GUI_LFOFREQ5,
GUI_LFOPHASE1 = 205,
GUI_LFOPHASE2,
GUI_LFOPHASE3,
GUI_LFOPHASE4,
GUI_LFOPHASE5,
GUI_LFODELAY1 = 210,
GUI_LFODELAY2,
GUI_LFODELAY3,
GUI_LFODELAY4,
GUI_LFODELAY5,
GUI_LFOFADE1 = 215,
GUI_LFOFADE2,
GUI_LFOFADE3,
GUI_LFOFADE4,
GUI_LFOFADE5,
GUI_LFODEPTH1 = 220,
GUI_LFODEPTH2,
GUI_LFODEPTH3,
GUI_LFODEPTH4,
GUI_LFODEPTH5,

GUI_PAN = 230,
GUI_X,
GUI_Y,
GUI_VOLUME

Edit: Link updated to Project5 Wiki diagram
post edited by b rock - 2013/08/27 19:23:41

11 Replies Related Threads

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Virtual B3 in DimPro's XP-1 2006/07/18 10:37:46 (permalink)
    Geez, Tom,

that is almost as impressive as the programming. Maybe I should print and leave above my keyboard. I wonder if someone couldn't change the faceplate to reflect the B3 reality. Kinda of virtual version of Creamware's new tabletop synths.

Thanks - I haven't had enough time to check out the updates - I really liked the spacy Dimpro stuff and ran through the B3 presets, which sounded very good but I didn't have time to fool with them. After I get some real work done I'll have to go back and try this all out.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    ronnie
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24
    RE: Virtual B3 in DimPro's XP-1 2006/07/18 11:59:13 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info. I set the "BIT RED" Min (around 8 O'clock) and Max (around 1 O'Clock) and controller as a CC#1 (Mod Wheel) thru a variable expression foot pedal. Pretty convincing leslie effect!
    RAR
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 286
    RE: Virtual B3 in DimPro's XP-1 2006/07/18 15:14:14 (permalink)
    I've been getting some interesting sounds by swaping the sine wave in the .SFZ out for another wave, or by putting differnt waves on each drawbar.

I know a room full of musical tunes.
    Some rhyme, some ching, most of them are clockwork.
    Let's go into the other room and make them work.
    -Barret
    lawapa
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: Virtual B3 in DimPro's XP-1 2006/07/18 18:36:22 (permalink)
    interesting sounds by swaping the sine wave in the .SFZ

Open and ready for anything. I guess you could turn it into a Hammond nova cord? What a deal.
    b rock
    RE: Virtual B3 in DimPro's XP-1 2006/07/18 18:55:05 (permalink)
    Now, now. Let's not take the screwdriver to this pristine creation just yet. Can't we just enjoy it for what it is?

... OK, try this: just crank up the delay_feedback values in the doppler effects sections to 100 and beyond. Wooo, baby: monitor at low levels. Now we know why the Distortion algos were added to Dimension's FX. They were made for something like this B3. I haven't gotten flanged harmonics' feedback like this since the MXR Flanger.

Oh, yeah. make a backup copy of the .sfz.
    Paradroid
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 454
    RE: Virtual B3 in DimPro's XP-1 2006/07/18 19:34:41 (permalink)
    Can't we just enjoy it for what it is?

Well Tom, you really did beat me to it. But that's okay, I'll get up to speed once I've cleared my desk…

As for the extended CCs, I noticed that as soon as I opened up the sfz file. The B3 patch should've come with a “Read Me.txt” but I guess the creators knew we wouldn't leave well enough alone.

You touched on the relationship between GUI controls and the internal sfz controls: that's a toughie to get your head around and my tests haven't run deep enough to come up with the full lowdown of what to expect. However, there is one extra variable in the equation: “DefaultEffects.sfz” That file tells DP what to do when one of those knobs is twisted and, I would reckon, is the key to understanding what to expect when you assing an internal sfz CC to a knob that's already assigned by default.

Eitherway, the mileage that that little .sfz is getting out of single sine cycle is pretty commendable. In the ideal sfz-geek world, we'd be running a compo to see how far the hyper-tweakers could push this thing using the smallest .wav coupled with the largest .sfz

Now, what happens when you chain this thing to a element loaded with one of those cabinet modelling convolution files? I don't know, but I plan to find out…
    lawapa
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: Virtual B3 in DimPro's XP-1 2006/07/18 21:49:17 (permalink)
    Now, what happens when you chain this thing to a element loaded with one of those cabinet modelling convolution files? I don't know, but I plan to find out…

And just how could you do that? If you load up a convolution file as element chain to next it passes through it? Now damm I didn't know that Keeping secrets are we? Just where is this written down?

Man I'm feelin left out here. I want the scoop. Please I have missed this altogether. Didn't know it existed.
    b rock
    RE: Virtual B3 in DimPro's XP-1 2006/07/18 22:09:03 (permalink)
    Hey, Larry: Here's an easy way to get started that's already set up in advance for you. Go to something like the RGC Almost Clean (at).prog in the new Guitars. The Strat's in E1, it's selected for Chain to Next Element, and E2 has the Element Chain.sfz. E1 has a Chorus, and it gets funneled to the Ping Delay in E2. Now click on the Load Multisample slot in E2, and navigate to the Cabinet and Amp Simulations. Load up one of the sims, and have a ball.

They're also sliced down to impulses in the subfolder ...
    Dale: plenty for everybody. Rapture, too. Let's tear it up.
    :10:
    Max Output Level: -38.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3678
    RE: Virtual B3 in DimPro's XP-1 2006/07/19 12:19:53 (permalink)
    theres not alot of room...but i could add text for all the new dials to go along with the standard ones. or just make a simple skin upgrade with the new text? just an idea. (for "drawbars/rotary/perc....")

techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: Virtual B3 in DimPro's XP-1 2006/07/20 07:51:48 (permalink)
    Would be cool if the GUI labels could change dynamically based on text associated with directives in the .sfz files.
    :10:
    Max Output Level: -38.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3678
    RE: Virtual B3 in DimPro's XP-1 2006/07/20 08:55:14 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: techead

Would be cool if the GUI labels could change dynamically based on text associated with directives in the .sfz files.

I wonder if there is a way to have sfz. look at the text files associated with the gui, and maybe have it select a different background bitmap. I doubt it is possible....just an Idea.

I think the text files within the resource folder basically tell dimension /rapture what to look for when applying its skins...or am I wrong here????

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1