Cell phone mix?

Author
Guitzilla
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 27
2006/07/18 11:44:17 (permalink)

Cell phone mix?

Hello,

I am doing a freebie for our town's visitor's center. They are doing a cell phone tour of murals in our town and I need to record and mix vocals music and sound effects. Does anyone have any advice for the mixing stage so that I can hand them a project that will sound great over a cell phone? Any special frequencies to cut? Should I use alot of compression? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Brian

6 Replies Related Threads

ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Cell phone mix? 2006/07/18 11:58:36 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Guitzilla

Hello,

I am doing a freebie for our town's visitor's center. They are doing a cell phone tour of murals in our town and I need to record and mix vocals music and sound effects. Does anyone have any advice for the mixing stage so that I can hand them a project that will sound great over a cell phone? Any special frequencies to cut? Should I use alot of compression? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Brian

Most cell phones don't have any low end so I would say use an EQ to cut the lows way down so they don't swamp the mix, that will let more of the mids and low mids through. May take some testing to get it just right, if you have a audio to phone interface you could send the mix through that to your cell phone and mix like that in real time.

Also, keep in mind this should be mono right ?
    tunekicker
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1261
    RE: Cell phone mix? 2006/07/19 03:00:34 (permalink)
    I believe hardline phone are limited to signals less than 5kHz. I doubt cell phones are any better. You can probably dump a lot of the highs for this project, too.

Peace,

- Tunes
    lazarous
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1461
    RE: Cell phone mix? 2006/07/19 17:15:01 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Guitzilla
    Hello,

Thanks in advance,
    Brian

For a while there I was recording outbound voicemails for a local company. Interesting, actually...

Dump everything below 250 hz or so, and everything about about 7khz. Use a hard limiter to keep transients down.

Listen to it via cell phone before you deliver it. What mechanism will they be using to store it? We were initially told we'd be able to upload the files to an FTP folder on their voicemail machine (it was just a computer in a closet), but that ended up not being possible, so they'd hook up a mic in a conference room while recording off the speaker! UGH!

Good luck!

Corey

Ath 64 3500+
    MSI K8N N2 Plat ATX 939 Mobo
    2Gb DDR2 400
    RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652
    UAD1 4.2
    WinXP Pro SP2
    Sonar 8.3PE
    New Henry and Buster episodes available!
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: Cell phone mix? 2006/07/19 21:07:41 (permalink)
    having even levels would be critical for a cell phone mix. removing the bass of course will go a long way with that but you should consider a frequency analyzer like voxengo's span to make sure your volume levels are even between the cell phone's reproducable frequency range. start with some manual volume control (clip gain) and add compression and a limiter as needed so you've got a fairly flat signal.

- jack the ex-cynic
    Guitzilla
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 27
    RE: Cell phone mix? 2006/07/22 11:35:36 (permalink)
    Thanks! It is really incredible that I could post something kind of weird and get such great advice.
    Brian
    Jonny M
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 127
    RE: Cell phone mix? 2006/07/31 17:37:58 (permalink)
    Wow, I never thought of that either. I often have to put demos of my songs on my cell (or mobile as we call the here in the UK) for one of the band members to listen to and I'm always apologising in advance for how bad and muddy they sound. This thread will help me go back and make a 'second mix' just for my mobile phone.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1