Mixer/Amp required?

Author
Orbit
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8
2006/07/20 04:55:32 (permalink)

Mixer/Amp required?

Got a hardware related question, sorry it's a bit basic but im still learning! I'm running Sonar 5 on my PC, using an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 soundcard, attached to the audio out port I have a small stereo amp connected to speakers (im intending to replace this), the audio in port is generally taken up by my keyboard which is also attached to the soundcard via the Midi cables. I have since added a drum machine to the setup and also have a turntable, both I cannot use for recording unless I swap out the keyboard, fine but a pain. I'm not currently utilising the S/PDIF digital I/O on the soundcard.

My question is - I want all of this equipment attached at the same time so I can control the inputs to my soundcard without having to plug/unplug the gear when its needed, or even be able to record multiple inputs at the same time. I also want to attach the keyboard and drum machine to the card via Midi cables, although the keyboard is already set up this way I could use the midi thru port on the keyboard for the drum machine? I'm also assuming I will buy more kit in the future so need to consider expansion!

Do I need a mixer? Will this work with the Audiophile 2496? Can I attach multiple pieces of hardware with 1/4" phono leads to something like a mixer? (Update - I just noticed the BEHRINGER Eurorack UB802 just after i typed this, as something that could be what im after!)

Could I do this with a new soundcard? Is it worth upgrading?

Could I just ditch the stereo and go for an amp with multiple inputs?

I'm also looking at getting some decent monitor speakers in the future but this is not a priority.

If anyone can explain the best way round this, it will be much appreciated. I'm not afraid of hardware being a computer nerd, but audio is kinda still new when it comes to expanding beyond the usual gear!
post edited by Orbit - 2006/07/20 05:25:24

10 Replies Related Threads

lazarous
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1461
    RE: Mixer/Amp required? 2006/07/20 09:48:00 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Orbit

Got a hardware related question, sorry it's a bit basic but im still learning! I'm running Sonar 5 on my PC, using an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 soundcard, attached to the audio out port I have a small stereo amp connected to speakers (im intending to replace this), the audio in port is generally taken up by my keyboard which is also attached to the soundcard via the Midi cables. I have since added a drum machine to the setup and also have a turntable, both I cannot use for recording unless I swap out the keyboard, fine but a pain. I'm not currently utilising the S/PDIF digital I/O on the soundcard.

My question is - I want all of this equipment attached at the same time so I can control the inputs to my soundcard without having to plug/unplug the gear when its needed, or even be able to record multiple inputs at the same time. I also want to attach the keyboard and drum machine to the card via Midi cables, although the keyboard is already set up this way I could use the midi thru port on the keyboard for the drum machine? I'm also assuming I will buy more kit in the future so need to consider expansion!

Do I need a mixer? Will this work with the Audiophile 2496? Can I attach multiple pieces of hardware with 1/4" phono leads to something like a mixer? (Update - I just noticed the BEHRINGER Eurorack UB802 just after i typed this, as something that could be what im after!)

Could I do this with a new soundcard? Is it worth upgrading?

Could I just ditch the stereo and go for an amp with multiple inputs?

I'm also looking at getting some decent monitor speakers in the future but this is not a priority.

If anyone can explain the best way round this, it will be much appreciated. I'm not afraid of hardware being a computer nerd, but audio is kinda still new when it comes to expanding beyond the usual gear!

I started with the same card. It'll get the job done for you for a bit longer!

Yes, a mixer of some kind is what you're looking for. You'll need 1/4" to RCA adapters to plug the outputs of the mixer into your sound card, but then you'll be in heaven.

Good luck! Oh, and get the decent monitors sooner than later... one of the most critical components in your studio are your monitors.

Corey

Ath 64 3500+
    MSI K8N N2 Plat ATX 939 Mobo
    2Gb DDR2 400
    RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652
    UAD1 4.2
    WinXP Pro SP2
    Sonar 8.3PE
    New Henry and Buster episodes available!
    Orbit
    RE: Mixer/Amp required? 2006/07/20 10:10:29 (permalink)
    Thanks Corey - thats great :). Hoped it would be just a few converters and a new piece of kit!

If anyone has any recommendations on mixers for a starter studio, would be appreciated. Behringer keeps popping up in my research and seems to have quite a reasonable priced range, also considering ebay as I can get a mixer with more inputs for the same price as a newer smaller one.
    post edited by Orbit - 2006/07/20 10:21:56
    lazarous
    RE: Mixer/Amp required? 2006/07/20 11:46:17 (permalink)

Thanks Corey - thats great :). Hoped it would be just a few converters and a new piece of kit!

If anyone has any recommendations on mixers for a starter studio, would be appreciated. Behringer keeps popping up in my research and seems to have quite a reasonable priced range, also considering ebay as I can get a mixer with more inputs for the same price as a newer smaller one.

What's your budget? I've always found it's easiest to decide what you can afford to spend, then buy something in that range.

The UB series is an ok series, but they're somewhat fragile. I have four of them... two of the UB802's, a UB502 and a UB1622. The 1622 is by far the nicest of them, but they're all useful.

Keep in mind a few things when you decide to buy:

1. Resale - If you buy USED, someone else has probably taken most of the hit for you. You'll often get exactly what you paid for something.
    2. However many inputs you THINK you need, double. You'll still never have enough, but if you need 3 stereo ins today, you'll need 6 tomorrow. If you need 2 mic inputs now, you'll need 4 tomorrow (and 10 the week after that).

Many will bash Behringer. I'm running a fairly successful studio based around the Behringer MX9000 mixing console, and I love the thing. Could I get a better sounding board? Sure... but it would cost me 10 times what I paid for it.

Good luck! Have fun!

Corey

Ath 64 3500+
    2Gb DDR2 400
    RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652
    UAD1 4.2
    WinXP Pro SP2
    Sonar 8.3PE
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Mixer/Amp required? 2006/07/20 11:59:12 (permalink)
    First get a Soundcraft Compact 4, that will let you hook up all your gear and it has turntable (RIAA) preamps built in. Very clean little mixer that will work with any sound card input (balanced or unbalanced).

That should solve your problems for now but at some point you may want to upgrade to the Audiophile 192 just to get balanced inputs, that will cut down on any noise like hum or buzz you might pick up while trying to record audio.
    lazarous
    RE: Mixer/Amp required? 2006/07/20 12:11:13 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ohhey

First get a Soundcraft Compact 4, that will let you hook up all your gear and it has turntable (RIAA) preamps built in. Very clean little mixer that will work with any sound card input (balanced or unbalanced).

That should solve your problems for now but at some point you may want to upgrade to the Audiophile 192 just to get balanced inputs, that will cut down on any noise like hum or buzz you might pick up while trying to record audio.

This is very sensible advice.

Corey

Ath 64 3500+
    2Gb DDR2 400
    RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652
    UAD1 4.2
    WinXP Pro SP2
    Sonar 8.3PE
    zungle
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2745
    RE: Mixer/Amp required? 2006/07/21 01:41:09 (permalink)
    Stay away from the UB series Behringer mixers...tone killers.
    Orbit
    RE: Mixer/Amp required? 2006/07/21 03:55:37 (permalink)
    Thanks alot for all your advice. Taking a look at the soundcraft now, my budget is around £100.00 and looks like this will fit well within it! Will need to include additional cables/converters in my budget but with a Maplin up the road it shouldnt cost too much.
    Orbit
    RE: Mixer/Amp required? 2006/07/21 15:23:09 (permalink)
    Ordered the Soundcraft Compact 10 today, will pick it up next week, went for the larger one for future expansion, was only 109 ukp! Cheers again :)
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Mixer/Amp required? 2006/07/21 15:49:48 (permalink)

Ordered the Soundcraft Compact 10 today, will pick it up next week, went for the larger one for future expansion, was only 109 ukp! Cheers again :)

Woo Hoo ! Cheers..
    bill durham
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 460
    RE: Mixer/Amp required? 2006/07/23 14:47:34 (permalink)
    Frank,

I think the Compact series mixers is the solution to most new cakewalk user problems. I don't own one, but looking at the specs and audio flow..just makes sense.

BD

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/4/bdandfriends_music.htm

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/billdurham_music.htm
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1