A couple of basic questions

Author
AWS
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10
2006/07/21 14:04:34 (permalink)

A couple of basic questions

I'm a Cakewalk novice, still have a lot to learn. I'm using the edirol and creating custom drum kits. When I create new ones, the old ones are still listed as outputs, I was wondering how to delete those. Also I'm not sure how to save a custom drum kit as a preset for other projects.
Another question - when using the edirol there's a significant playback delay. When I adjust the mixing latency to the far right, it'll play for a second, then no sound. Is my computer too slow to handle it? My PC is ancient, thought maybe that had something to do with it.

7 Replies Related Threads

Robomusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: A couple of basic questions 2006/07/22 02:13:51 (permalink)
    Don't have a clue, tell us the spec on the system. I mean so far i know it is ancient, is it a commodore 64 or what?

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: A couple of basic questions 2006/07/22 08:24:10 (permalink)
    I'm using the edirol and creating custom drum kits. When I create new ones, the old ones are still listed as outputs, I was wondering how to delete those. Also I'm not sure how to save a custom drum kit as a preset for other projects.

I don't understand waht you mean by "creating custom drum kits". Maybe others here do, and its just a term I'm not familiar with, but if you could explain more about exactly what you are doing, then I might be able to help. When you create new ones the old ones are still listed as outputs...how do delete those? Are you talking about in Edirol or in the track settings, or something else? Again, it might just be that I'm not familiar with what you're doing, but I dont' have enough information.

And Robo's right, in order to know if your latency can be fixed or not, we'll need more info on your computer and sound card.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    AWS
    RE: A couple of basic questions 2006/07/25 12:36:37 (permalink)
    Sorry for not providing details. By custom drum kits, I mean drum kits with the different parts of the kit redefined. The names can be changed and the outputs can be changed. By right clicking on the name of the part in the list, the output number can be re-assigned, and also the output can be changed - to edirol, for example - and the patch can change to Jazz or Power or Standard, etc. When I do this, in the track view for MIDI tracks I have a new output listed - 5 Basic Drum Kit *, for example. I think the asterik means the original default kit has been modified. I wanted to be able to delete and save all these custom drum kits, I have several different ones listed as available outputs on any MIDI track, it's hard to remember which is which.

My PC is an HP Pavilion running Windows ME, the soundcard is what came with it - Crystal WDM Audio. Thanks for your help.
    Beagle
    RE: A couple of basic questions 2006/07/25 13:02:24 (permalink)
    So, really what you're describing is DRUM MAPs, right? If you are already customizing a drum map, then you should know how to get to the pop-up window that has the "map" for each patch (I think you get to it by clicking on a MIDI track's output and selecting NEW DRUM MAP - but I'm at work and can't look it up). At the top of that window is a little disk icon, click on that and you can save the preset.

If that's not what you're talking about, try me again. Sometimes I don't get it the first time.

AWS
    RE: A couple of basic questions 2006/07/25 21:27:49 (permalink)
    Drum Maps is correct, sorry for calling it a kit (not thinking digtally). I don't have this saving option you're referring to, no disk icon anywhere. I looked under help and it mentions a Drum Map manager, under options. I don't have this in my options menu, for whatever reason. I tried re-installing the software, still not there. I have a default location for drum maps, but I just can't save them or delete them without the drum map manager. Any ideas on why I don't have it?
    millerbill
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1085
    RE: A couple of basic questions 2006/07/25 22:21:33 (permalink)
    I don't have the drum map manager either. This appears to be another case of information in the old Sonar help file not being eliminated when the program was converted to Music Creator.

I was going to recommend tutorial 8; howver, after rereading your original posts it seems you have already followed those techniques. I haven't done enough drum mapping to make a valid suggestion. but I wanted you to know that there probably is no drum map manager in your program version either.

Guess I'll have to check into this further.

Just went through tutorial 8 and I see what you mean. You can change but not use later. At least in my version and as far as I have been able to figure.
    post edited by millerbill - 2006/07/25 22:39:53
    Beagle
    RE: A couple of basic questions 2006/07/25 22:24:57 (permalink)
    AWS - is this the window you're looking at and you don't have a disk icon there where the arrow is pointing?

OK - apparently bill and I were posting at the same time and he's decided that MC doesn't have the DRUM MAP MANAGER. What I'm showing you here is the manager from SHS4.

apparently, you can't do what you're trying to do with MC - you'd have to upgrade for that capability.
    post edited by Beagle - 2006/07/25 22:55:40

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1