mic'ing drums with internal mic's

Author
slim62r
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 116
2006/07/23 12:08:04 (permalink)

mic'ing drums with internal mic's

I am starting to lay down the tracks for my first platnium CD. Our drummer has a set of drums with internal mic's. He also has 5 toms, four on a rack and one floor. I am thinking of hooking the 4 rack toms to a mixer and sending them to one track. will this work and do I have to worry about panning since the track will be a mono track anyway. Can anybody see any problems doing this.

Also I have an Endirol UA25 interface using usb. I notice on the back it has an optical wire plug in. I have a Behringer ultragain pro-8 adat. can I plug this into the endiraol and record 8 tracks at the same time.

one more question on the edirol? when Sonar did that test thing it only came up as yes on the 44.1 sample rate. Is that because that is what the edirol was set at or does it have something to do with my computer only having the ability for 44.1.

Thank you for the help and info.

Richard

Dell Inspiron 5100
Intel P. 4 2.4 GHz
1 gig ram
Fostex VF 160 EX (for Recording)
Behringer Ultragain Pro 8 ( for recording 16 channels at once)
Sonar 4Hs (for mixing)

1 Reply Related Threads

Kicker
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 477
    RE: mic'ing drums with internal mic's 2006/07/24 03:57:48 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: slim62r

I am starting to lay down the tracks for my first platnium CD. Our drummer has a set of drums with internal mic's. He also has 5 toms, four on a rack and one floor. I am thinking of hooking the 4 rack toms to a mixer and sending them to one track. will this work and do I have to worry about panning since the track will be a mono track anyway. Can anybody see any problems doing this.

It depends on whether you are going for 'big drums' or realistic drums. If you are going the realistic route, then your plan is just fine since the listener would percieve most of the drums as coming from the center. If you want 'big drums', your best bet is to take a stereo feed from the mixer so that the toms can be panned wide.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1