Pentium D's at New Egg

Author
Carl Jensen
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 621
2006/07/23 17:23:51 (permalink)

Pentium D's at New Egg

Hey Everyone,

NewEgg has Pentium D 805 2.66GHz processors for $104. Can anyone confirm how good of a deal this is?

I'm actually just looking to upgrade an older P4 1.7GHz (not as a DAW at this point) by replacing the motherboard, processor and RAM. It uses RDRAM which is great, but insanely priced. It's about $250 for a 512MB memory upgrade so I figured I might as well upgrade the whole thing.

Also, any motherboard recommendations for the Pentium D?

Thanks!

Carl Jensen

18 Replies Related Threads

johndale
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3228
    RE: Pentium D's at New Egg 2006/07/23 23:18:44 (permalink)
    I find using Intel with Intel to be a winning combo. I've been doing that quite awhile now and combatibility issues or a thing of the long ago past. That "D" special? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116001 better jump fast. It appears to be only for LGA 775 MBs though. And here is the matching MB for it http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813121024 I'm a long time Intel guy and for under $200 (US) this should get you in biz.......................But jump fast, I have a feeling these are middle of the month deals........
    JonD
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3617
    RE: Pentium D's at New Egg 2006/07/24 03:56:15 (permalink)
    Rumor has it that AMD chips (and possibly boards too, I don't know) will be heavily discounted shortly. So it might be to your advantage to wait a bit.

I'm a longtime AMD user and have had great success with my last two home-built DAW systems. In fact my current system is a NForce3 939 with a single core chip that gives me all the power I need (50 24-bit tracks with FX, and stable), and I can still upgrade it to dual-core and get more power! Consequently, if the prices do drop, I'll buy a dual core chip and be set for a few years to come.

Mind you, I'm not a cutting-edge user; I'll be sticking with 32 bit and Win XP until likely my hardware stops supporting either one.

Predictably, you'll always get Intel and AMD fans touting their preferences whenever you post a question like this. I'd say your best bet is to pay most attention to the DAW builders who keep up with what's working best for DAWs (Scott at ADK and Jim Roseberry to name a couple).

Good luck!
    JD
    johndale
    RE: Pentium D's at New Egg 2006/07/24 07:04:08 (permalink)
    Yea, I'm stupid Intel user. I don't know crap like the EMU gods do. They tell the sun when to come up (he-he),..............
    Carl Jensen
    RE: Pentium D's at New Egg 2006/07/24 08:58:45 (permalink)
    Hi John,

Thanks for the detailed links...this looks like a pretty good combination for what I need.

Now for a simpler question (for anyone)...the motherboard you recommended is a MicroATX form factor and my case in a mid-tower with an ATX motherboard. Do the MicroATX boards also fit in any case that fits the full ATX form factor?

Thanks again-

Carl Jensen
    Carl Jensen
    RE: Pentium D's at New Egg 2006/07/24 09:04:08 (permalink)
    Rumor has it that AMD chips (and possibly boards too, I don't know) will be heavily discounted shortly. So it might be to your advantage to wait a bit.

Yeah, I'll probably wait a couple days to see what happens and I'm not opposed to AMD. This just looks like a fantastic deal at the moment, but I think more will follow in both camps.

Thanks,

Carl Jensen
    Carl Jensen
    RE: Pentium D's at New Egg 2006/07/24 10:37:43 (permalink)
    Well, I just found the Pentium D 820 2.8GHz with the 800MHz FSB for $100 after rebate at TigerDirect.com...even better deal.

Carl Jensen
    johndale
    RE: Pentium D's at New Egg 2006/07/24 23:28:11 (permalink)
    That is a good deal Carl. I get jumped by gangs of AMD users whenever it comes to hardware solutions. I play music, am not a gamer and Intel has always done the job. In my 20+ years of working with hardware. I have had the best success of reliability and compatibility with Intel. That is the basis of my advice. I guess it is really a Ford versus Chevy deal. If you have the mounting screwholes (for lack of a correct word, those screws that the MB attachs to the case with) in the right pattern, it will work. My mid tower accepts either. Your original case documentation should tell you. If not "google" the case and read the specs. In all cases (no pun) I've seen, a micro MB will fit in a full size case, but the opposite is not always true. Good luck Carl and if I can be of any assist, I'm around. ............
    simon_lebon
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 98
    RE: Pentium D's at New Egg 2006/07/25 09:07:32 (permalink)
    FYI: Looks to me like Tiger Direct has dropped prices on all of the AMD 62 x2's. I just picked up the 4800+ a few minutes ago for $309. Newegg still hasn't dropped all of their prices.

ASUS A8N5X Motherboard
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Dual-Core, 2 GB RAM
    Western Digital Raptor (SATA)
    Presonus Firepod
    Alesis M1 Active Mk2
    Sonar 6.2.1 Producer Edition
    http://www.myspace.com/telescopicmusic
    mr. moon
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1515
    RE: Pentium D's at New Egg 2006/07/25 10:23:18 (permalink)
    For the time being, I'm an AMD guy ...just got a Athlon64 x2 4600+ for about $250.00! Next step may be one of the new Intels, once the chipsets are a bit more mature.

-mr moon

Intel Core 2 QUAD Q6600
    4 GB 800MHz DDR2
    RME FireFace 800
    Windows 64 Pro

"...Think outside the box as you mix within!" -mrmoon

jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: Pentium D's at New Egg 2006/07/25 20:38:15 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: johndale
    That is a good deal Carl. I get jumped by gangs of AMD users whenever it comes to hardware solutions. I play music, am not a gamer and Intel has always done the job. In my 20+ years of working with hardware. I have had the best success of reliability and compatibility with Intel.

intel and amd have always appealed to different markets. amd is for tinkerers, people who push the edge with their hardware and don't mind the occasional frustration that comes with it. intel has always appealed to those who couldn't care less what's under the hood, so long as they can do what they want with it. like a '98 civic with $20,000 in aftermarket parts or a brand new corvette.

i'm an intel guy myself. yes, i've paid more cash but i've saved more headaches. i've optimized my time for recording and not for building and tinkering. and now, intel's new core 2 duo processors run cooler and faster than anything amd has to offer, so the extra performance hook that amd always had is gone now.

i'm not a rabid intel fan, i've considered amd machines for awhile. i just keep going the easy route at the last minute. =)

in a couple years amd will be back with something better than intel, and the circle will be complete.

- jack the ex-cynic
    johndale
    RE: Pentium D's at New Egg 2006/07/26 01:47:12 (permalink)
    No kidding Jack. I want to play and record music, not screw with computers. I want it to start, do the job and remember everything. Besides they can Benchmark all they want. I have not seen a comparable AMD be NOTICEABLY faster or do more than an Intel. And we know that software is going to work, they don't........
    JonD
    RE: Pentium D's at New Egg 2006/07/27 02:19:25 (permalink)

.... I have not seen a comparable AMD be NOTICEABLY faster or do more than an Intel. And we know that software is going to work, they don't........

Yeah, no proof at all... except for that really long thread with hundreds of Sonar benchmarks showing AMD delivering better performance.

Despite your Ford vs Chevy analogy - which is actually a fair one, too bad you didn't mean it - you always resort to taking a shot at AMD (and EMU, when you can manage it. Hell, you did it in this thread, despite it not having any relevance at all).

We all know you're a SAW studio guy now John. Do you throw this positive vibe around at their forum too? Or is the mood there too sedate for you, so you have to come back here and slam something -- just curious...

J
    post edited by JonD - 2006/07/27 02:44:01
    johndale
    RE: Pentium D's at New Egg 2006/07/27 04:10:56 (permalink)
    No still have a complete Sonar setup and years .cwp's. I do mean it's Ford or Chevy, but when was the last time you heard a Chevy man praise a Ford? The EMU thing is a standing joke, just like the company itself. I was far from the only one burned on that, I just don't let it be forgotten. If a company gets away with things once they will do it again. What I'm starting crap because I don't agree with you? Are you a unfallible music god, who's opinions are gospel? I speak from experiance and IMHO Intel is the better way to go. I sure wish paper benchmarks would lead to better recording. I don't care what "benchmarks" say, the proof is in the "real world". If I felt AMDs were superior, I'd own one. What I see is a larger profit margin for DAW builders and a lot of hype. I have never seen a AMD that will smoke my Intels (in the same price range/feature set). Oh and do I see the latest AMDs in action? My nephew builds "gamer machines" for a living (has a storefront and biz licence, few years in biz). That is also how I know what the chips cost a "custom builder". Well that's where my FACTS come from, where do yours?........
    mr. moon
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1515
    RE: Pentium D's at New Egg 2006/07/27 10:23:13 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: mr. moon

For the time being, I'm an AMD guy ...just got a Athlon64 x2 4600+ for about $250.00! Next step may be one of the new Intels, once the chipsets are a bit more mature.

-mr moon

Update: My vender ran out of 4600+'s ...so they upgraded me up to a 4800+ for FREE!!!

Oh yeah, baby!!!

-mr moon

Intel Core 2 QUAD Q6600
    4 GB 800MHz DDR2
    RME FireFace 800
    Windows 64 Pro

"...Think outside the box as you mix within!" -mrmoon

Plyrman
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1062
    RE: Pentium D's at New Egg 2006/07/27 15:56:48 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Carl Jensen

Hey Everyone,

Also, any motherboard recommendations for the Pentium D?

Thanks!

I'm building my own PC...I actually picked up an ABIT A8WD....it had everything I wanted onboard.....I think it's like $169 on newegg...???

Also...I'm waiting til next week ....the price of the intel should drop by then with the release of the "conroe"....I'm lookin to get a 940 or 950
    post edited by Plyrman - 2006/07/27 16:09:26

Mike G.
    Sonar X3 Custom Build: IntelCore2Quad, 16 gig Ram, Asus Z87-Plus, Internal 200GB SATA HDD (1) 320GB SATA HDD (2), Motif Rack, Roland Juno-G, Trigger Finger, Keystation 88, Tascam FW1082, JBL 4328's
    chaz
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2775
    RE: Pentium D's at New Egg 2006/07/27 22:58:42 (permalink)
    Also...I'm waiting til next week ....the price of the intel should drop by then with the release of the "conroe"....I'm lookin to get a 940 or 950

I found a price of $205.00 for a Pentium D950 here.
    JonD
    RE: Pentium D's at New Egg 2006/07/28 02:27:14 (permalink)

No still have a complete Sonar setup and years .cwp's. I do mean it's Ford or Chevy, but when was the last time you heard a Chevy man praise a Ford? The EMU thing is a standing joke, just like the company itself. I was far from the only one burned on that, I just don't let it be forgotten. If a company gets away with things once they will do it again. What I'm starting crap because I don't agree with you? Are you a unfallible music god, who's opinions are gospel? I speak from experiance and IMHO Intel is the better way to go. I sure wish paper benchmarks would lead to better recording. I don't care what "benchmarks" say, the proof is in the "real world". If I felt AMDs were superior, I'd own one. What I see is a larger profit margin for DAW builders and a lot of hype. I have never seen a AMD that will smoke my Intels (in the same price range/feature set). Oh and do I see the latest AMDs in action? My nephew builds "gamer machines" for a living (has a storefront and biz licence, few years in biz). That is also how I know what the chips cost a "custom builder". Well that's where my FACTS come from, where do yours?........

All you've proven is you have strong opinions and wish to let the forum know this at every opportunity. And sorry, benchmarks do count - not for everything - but you seem to want to conveniently dismiss the fact that the last Sonar poll here had AMD way ahead. I'm perfectly aware that Intel's newest chips have the edge over AMD's, but if I were putting together a DAW today, I'd get an AMD 4800 x2 dual core. Cheap, fast, and PROVEN. If you want to be on the bleeding edge of technology (like the gamers), feel free, but the only huge increase in numbers you're gonna see will be on your credit card bill.

And despite your attempts to make this sound like an AMD vs Intel argument, I've never bashed Intel - In fact I'm typing this on an Intel machine -- I happen to think there's room for both chip makers It's only guys like you who pretend to know the "inside scoop" on who's better because you've been burned once or twice. Get over it.

Again, my point about EMU is that IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS THREAD. I'm not defending them - I have no opinion about them one way or the other. You just seem to want to make everything into an argument!

Well, I'm out of this thread. No doubt you will rant on, so if it makes you feel better, have at it...
    post edited by JonD - 2006/07/28 02:42:03
    johndale
    RE: Pentium D's at New Egg 2006/07/28 05:51:27 (permalink)
    Bye...............
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1