Editing Volumes of Multiple MIDI notes

Author
adc212
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 15
2006/07/23 18:59:28 (permalink)

Editing Volumes of Multiple MIDI notes

Hi all.

I'm using Sonar 4 HS. I have a MIDI drum track which uses two drum sounds (a kick and a snare). I want to change the velocities of all of the kicks to 127, and reduce the velocity of all snares to 97. I used the EDIROL VSC plugin for my drums. The online help says that the velocity trails can be edited in bulk within the drum map view (search for "To Edit Multiple Note Velocities in the Drum Grid Editor" in the online help).

This is where I get confused: I recorded my drums using a MIDI controller that sent note messages to the EDIROL VSC DXi synth and did not create a new drum map before-hand. Recall, the online help says I need to edit the trails in bulk in the drum map view. But now that my drums are already recorded, I do not have any drum maps defined, and when I click to create a new drum map, I'm not sure how to 'connect' this new drum map to the notes I already recorded--I hope this makes sense. So I need to get my current notes to appear in a drum map so I can edit the note velocities in bulk by selecting multiple notes at a time and changing all their velocities. I apparently have to do this in the drum map view as the velocity trail mouse pointer--the stacked set of horizontal lines shown in the online help--does not appear in the piano roll view. In the piano roll I end up having to edit the velocity of each note one-by-one.

I hope this all makes sense. I'm just a bit confused on editing in the drum grid and how it relates to the EDIROL. Please let me know if there is any further information I need to provide. Thanks for any help!!

3 Replies Related Threads

DroopyPawn
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 665
    RE: Editing Volumes of Multiple MIDI notes 2006/07/23 19:47:40 (permalink)
    Sounds like a job for INTERPOLATE.

Gary Shepherd
    www.16tracks.com
    torhan
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4271
    RE: Editing Volumes of Multiple MIDI notes 2006/07/24 08:29:11 (permalink)
    In Piano Roll view, click the note on the keyboard (left side of screen) which represents your kick drum, for example, C2. This will highlight all C2 notes. Then, you can go Process > Modify Velocity > and enter 127 for Start and 127 for End velocities.

Do the same for snares.

As a side note, remember, drummers will never play each note with the same velocities all the time. If you want to add some dynamics, try the Vary Velocity CAL -- this will randomly change the velocities within your given range (e.g., Low Value = 90; High Value = 100).

Sonar Platinum
    Premier Tracks
    ASCAP
    tparker24
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 544
    RE: Editing Volumes of Multiple MIDI notes 2006/07/24 11:16:39 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: torhan
    Process > Modify Velocity > and enter 127 for Start and 127 for End velocities.

Or even simpler, just enter 127 into the Track Inspector's "Vel" field.

- Tom
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1