Connecting to Keyboard

Author
schultzie728
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6
2006/07/23 20:08:22 (permalink)

Connecting to Keyboard

Hi all! we are new to this so all the help I can get is appreciated. we recently purchased music creator 3 and are trying to connect an external MIDI keyboard. We have a Yamaha UX16 MIDI interface cord and a Radio shack MD982 keyboard. All the drivers are installed and cords are connected properly but I cannot get the device to play any sound into the program for recording. When we connect and arm to record the keyboard is soundless and nothing shows on our track. There is a indicator light for MIDI input activity on the bottom of the screen that is supposed to be flashing red from what I have read in the tutorials but this is not showing as active. Any suggestions on what may be wrong.

des728

12 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Connecting to Keyboard 2006/07/23 21:28:05 (permalink)
    Hi, how many of you are in there?

First question I have for you is: are you trying to record on a MIDI track or an AUDIO track. If you are trying to record MIDI, it must be recorded on a MIDI track, AUDIO must be on an audio track.

2nd question: can you play any of the tutorials? Open Tutorial #1 and hit play. If you get no sound, then we have to address your MIDI set up first.

3rd question: if your little MIDI indicator is not showing anything when you press a key on the keyboard, then you need to check your MIDI inputs. OPTIONS>MIDI DEVICES make sure your two keyboards are there on the INPUT and that both are selected.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    schultzie728
    RE: Connecting to Keyboard 2006/07/23 21:54:05 (permalink)
    LOL Just two of us....Guess that did sound funny huh? just trying to help out my BF who is not quite up on the computer thing yet but has all the musical talent a person can hold.
    Anyway, Checked all of the above and all look correct so far. The tutorials all play and I can hear sound there. We are using MIDI not AUDIO. Also the inputs are correct. I only have the one keyboard and that shows up I also checked it in the devices in the computer and it is listed but still no indicator lights?????

des728
    dave sitting at home
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 103
    RE: Connecting to Keyboard 2006/07/23 22:43:01 (permalink)
    Just a thought, this happened to me...check to make sure your MIDI cords are plugged in to the right IN/OUTs. MIDI out from your keyboard goes to MIDI in on your soundcard and MIDI in on your keyboard goes to MIDI out on your soundcard/interface/whatever. I know this sounds obvious but it is one of the first things you need to check.
    Beagle
    RE: Connecting to Keyboard 2006/07/24 08:35:43 (permalink)
    Yep - that's a common mistake. dave's got a good point to check.

bilbo
    • Total Posts : 128
    RE: Connecting to Keyboard 2006/07/24 10:48:05 (permalink)
    LOL Just two of us....Guess that did sound funny huh? just trying to help out my BF who is not quite up on the computer thing yet but has all the musical talent a person can hold.

Man, I wish I had a GF like that!!
    post edited by bilbo - 2006/07/30 22:04:51
    schultzie728
    RE: Connecting to Keyboard 2006/07/24 19:08:20 (permalink)
    Hey you guys have something there. Definately had hte in and outs reversed....ok so I was having a blonde moment! lol We got the indicators to work now when we play in they are lighting up as they should. Now next question....I can hear the metronme playing through the keyboard but no sound is recording we can see where it looks like its going but when we play back no sound is there and it shows no hits recorded.

Also..can you use the keyboard to trigger the sounds from the program itself (like the different sounds in the patch) or is there another way you need to go about that?
    schultzie728
    RE: Connecting to Keyboard 2006/07/24 19:16:23 (permalink)
    ok so forget the first question... in between juggling dinner and this program thing I found the way to recording. The sounds it reads in the patch are not the sounds we are getting from the keybord though..how do I make them match from keyboard to the patch where all the sounds are? Does that make any damn sense???

des728
    Beagle
    RE: Connecting to Keyboard 2006/07/24 21:12:23 (permalink)
    first, you hear the met playing thru the keyboard, that means that you have your MIDI output set to your keyboard, so all MIDI that you play will be played thru the keyboard (unless you have more outputs and set them correctly).

for your problems, however, I don't know what kind of sound card you have, what driver mode you're running in, or exactly what you're trying to accomplish with your recordings.

are you trying to record MIDI only, or are you trying to record the actual sounds of your specific keyboard? Since you have MC, you can only record the actual sounds of your specific keyboad by recording AUDIO, not MIDI (you can use a INS if you had SHS or above). If you're trying to record MIDI data, then you don't need to worry about the channels and patches except for the OUTPUT. For the output, you need to either use a soundblaster sound card's embedded soundfonts, or use a DXi Synth like the Edirol VSC.

go to INSERT>DXI SYNTH>EDIROL. then on your MIDI source track , change the channels, patches and banks to what you want to hear.

after you get that working, do the Tutorials that come with MC. They will help you with this and other questions!

P.S. - you make dinner for him, too?! I made dinner for my wife and 14 YO son today...and recorded vocals for two songs...and did the laundry...walked the dog...

57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: Connecting to Keyboard 2006/07/24 21:20:56 (permalink)
    She makes dinner, too. The sounds your keyboard makes are not going to match the sounds on the sound card. If you like the 'board's sounds better, you can record them as audio, but you lose a lot of MIDI editing capability. Do you know how to change the patches on the sound card? And, depending on what type of sound card you have, you can select whether to have the sounds go out through the keyboard or out through the sound card, using it's patches, to the computer's speakers, if you have any connected. Greg

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    schultzie728
    RE: Connecting to Keyboard 2006/07/24 22:05:29 (permalink)
    Change the patches on the sound card?

Thats a good question I havent a clue what I am doing here, but dinner was great! lol Guess you cant always have it all.
    So we do like the sounds on the sound card better. How do I make the changes so the sounds on the sound card are triggered from the keyboard and then play from the computer speakers as opposed to the keyboard speakers?

des728
    Beagle
    RE: Connecting to Keyboard 2006/07/24 22:37:02 (permalink)
    go to INSERT>DXI SYNTH>EDIROL. then on your MIDI source track , change the channels, patches and banks to what you want to hear.

dave sitting at home
    • Total Posts : 103
    RE: Connecting to Keyboard 2006/07/24 23:04:55 (permalink)
    This is what I do...select the sound you want in MC (patch) play your keyboard recording as MIDI. Then play with the notes/tempo whatever, get it the way you want it, then play it back through the keyboard but have your audio out (like a headphone jack) from your keyboard connected to the audio in on your computer/interface/whatever and record that in a new Audio track in MC. Then mute the MIDI tracks or Archive them. You can do more than one MIDI track as a time if you have set up your channels so that you have each sound on a different channel (which you are supposed to do).
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1