Audacity/Ennis Utils Tool Menu question

Author
lmiller1220
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 200
2006/07/24 10:54:00 (permalink)

Audacity/Ennis Utils Tool Menu question

Hi all!

I recently downloaded and installed the wonderful Sonar Utils from Bruce Ennis (thanks, Bruce!) after reading this post. I am using Audacity as a (imho) great freebee solution for some relatively basic waveform editing needs.

I've successfully added it to the Sonar Tools menu via the Utils application, and have it listed as a WaveEditor. Here's my question/issue:

When I select a clip or section of a track in Sonar and then go to Tools and choose Audacity, it loads the entire track into Audacity, and even occasionally opens Audacity multiple times. Does anyone know why this might be happening?

I admit that I haven't delved too deep into Audacity's help/troubleshooting yet to see if it is something on that end. So far I've had to export the audio to edit from Sonar to a file on my HD, reopen and edit in Audacity and then load it back into Sonar. Not nearly as quick and fun as I had hoped, but getting the job done. Any assist would be great!

Thanks!

LSM
P4 2.6Mhz 2Gb Creation Station (Win XP)
(2) 80GB 7200 Internal SATA
(1) 150GB 7200 FW External Glyph
M-Audio FW-410
Roland VS-1880, DS-90 monitors
S6PE, BFD, FL6

3 Replies Related Threads

Patrice Brousseau
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 391
    RE: Audacity/Ennis Utils Tool Menu question 2006/07/24 16:30:37 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: lmiller1220

I've successfully added it to the Sonar Tools menu via the Utils application, and have it listed as a WaveEditor. Here's my question/issue:

When I select a clip or section of a track in Sonar and then go to Tools and choose Audacity, it loads the entire track into Audacity, and even occasionally opens Audacity multiple times. Does anyone know why this might be happening?

Same here too... It's the first time I try it (selecting a region and going to Audacity). Quite a problem...

I admit that I haven't delved too deep into Audacity's help/troubleshooting yet to see if it is something on that end. So far I've had to export the audio to edit from Sonar to a file on my HD, reopen and edit in Audacity and then load it back into Sonar. Not nearly as quick and fun as I had hoped, but getting the job done. Any assist would be great!

Thanks!

That's the only way it could work with Audacity. No way to do the update immediately as Audacity doesn't natively save in .wav format.

Patrice Brousseau
    lmiller1220
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 200
    RE: Audacity/Ennis Utils Tool Menu question 2006/07/24 16:58:00 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Patrice Brousseau

Thanks!

That's the only way it could work with Audacity. No way to do the update immediately as Audacity doesn't natively save in .wav format.

Hi Patrick- Thanks for your response.

I should have been more clear. The step I think should be able to be eliminated is having to export the audio from Sonar first and then open it in Audacity. Rather, the selected region should (in theory) open right away in Audacity. You are correct- you still have to save the Audacity-edited file as a .wav and then import that back into Sonar, regardless.

Anyway, still an issue...

Thanks!

LSM
    P4 2.6Mhz 2Gb Creation Station (Win XP)
    (2) 80GB 7200 Internal SATA
    (1) 150GB 7200 FW External Glyph
    M-Audio FW-410
    Roland VS-1880, DS-90 monitors
    S6PE, BFD, FL6
    losguy
    Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5506
    RE: Audacity/Ennis Utils Tool Menu question 2006/07/24 19:02:52 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: lmiller1220

ORIGINAL: Patrice Brousseau

I should have been more clear. The step I think should be able to be eliminated is having to export the audio from Sonar first and then open it in Audacity. Rather, the selected region should (in theory) open right away in Audacity. You are correct- you still have to save the Audacity-edited file as a .wav and then import that back into Sonar, regardless.

This is an issue in general. I happen to use Adobe Audition, which works as intended, but it's the same for SoundForge and other wave editors. The Tools Menu editing seems to always result in a WAV file being created at the start of the process, too. I believe that the interfacing for the audio data between SONAR and the audio editors is entirely through the Windows filesystem, and not through something like DDE or OLE (or COM, or whatever other direct-app interface MSFT is up to now). Hence, the wait at both ends of the editing process.

Psalm 30:12
    All pure waves converge at the Origin
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1