MC3 Newbie Audio Input Setup (help needed)

Author
icetime
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 16
2006/07/24 20:45:52 (permalink)

MC3 Newbie Audio Input Setup (help needed)

Newbie issue. When I first run MC3, the wave profiler comes up and I get a dialog with the following:

==== Realtek AC'97 Audio (1 in, 1 out) ====
11025 Hz: OK
22050 Hz: OK
44100 Hz: OK
48000 Hz: OK
88200 Hz: not available
96000 Hz: not available
176400 Hz: not available
192000 Hz: not available

Is the above OK?

I'm trying to run this on Acer Aspire 5000, with it's vanilla sound setup.

After this, when MC3 starts up I see a dialog "No MIDI Outputs Selected". If I go and select MIDI Devices, I see only Microsoft MIDI Mapper, which the faq says cannot be selected.

If I click OK and exit the dialog, I have no audio input devices. If I click on a track and select 'I'nput, I see a two-item menu:

None
Realtek AC'97 Audio (1 in, 1 out) > (but no menu item shows up beneath this)

So I cannot select any input. If I look at the driver details under Control Panel | Hardware, I select the Driver Details and see that wdmaud.drv is listed. (I've seen some other posts about MME and ASIO, I believe), but not sure how to select or change the driver to enable these.

Any help suggestions appreciated.

TIA,
ice

Can someone help me out here with my configuration.

13 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: MC3 Newbie Audio Input Setup (help needed) 2006/07/24 21:18:24 (permalink)
    ice - everything's fine. you don't have any MIDI inputs or outputs to select because you don't HAVE any. If you can play and record with MC in this configuration, there's no need to change it.

When you start working thru the tutorials (which I suggest be your next step), you will need to learn how to insert a DXi synth in order to use the tutorials in the configuration that you currently have - and the tutorials don't tell you how to do that until later.

open TUTORIAL #1
    INSERT>DXI SYNTH>EDIROL VSC
    Hit play.

read thru the tutorials.

good luck!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    icetime
    RE: MC3 Newbie Audio Input Setup (help needed) 2006/07/27 16:53:12 (permalink)
    I was able to play Tutorial 1 through the MIDI output fine.

I skipped Tutorial 2 as I'm not recording MIDI at this point.

In tutorial 3, I am interested in recording digital Audio. As indicated in my original post, for 'I'nputs (for an audio track) I see only TWO options:

NONE
    Realtek AC'97 Audio (1 in, 1 out) >

But after the '>' there is no sub-menu to select (i.e. the mouse hovers, but no sub-menu gets displayed). I cannot select an audio input. Is there something that I need to configure on my laptop's sound setup?

Again, any advice appreciated.

TIA,
    ice
    Beagle
    RE: MC3 Newbie Audio Input Setup (help needed) 2006/07/27 18:33:53 (permalink)
    try changing to MME driver mode. go to OPTIONS>AUDIO>ADVANCED there's a pull down menu for driver mode - MC defaults to WDM. you'll need to close MC and restart and it will run the wave profiler again.

icetime
    RE: MC3 Newbie Audio Input Setup (help needed) 2006/07/27 20:19:35 (permalink)
    Thanks for your responses Beagle. I am already running in MME driver mode. This is getting frustrating. I only want to lay down some guitar tracks.

Is there any place I can email a screenshot of this issue where Cakewalk tech's can view this problem? It seems like it must be some configuration thing they can recognize asap.

Again, appreciate the help.

Tks,
    ice
    icetime
    RE: MC3 Newbie Audio Input Setup (help needed) 2006/07/27 20:45:50 (permalink)
    OK, found the issue. I had to go to Options | General Tab and set the "Playback Timing Master" to Realtek AC97 Audio. Now I can see, left, right and stereo selections. Sorry for my confusion. Thanks for the help Beagle.

ice
    Beagle
    RE: MC3 Newbie Audio Input Setup (help needed) 2006/07/27 22:59:30 (permalink)
    no problem, ice, i'd have gotten to that eventually, but it's not realtime tech support on user forums!

glad you got it to work!

icetime
    RE: MC3 Newbie Audio Input Setup (help needed) 2006/07/28 00:05:45 (permalink)
    Well, looks like I spoke too soon. While I can now select left, right or stereo (Realtek AC97 Audio), when I go to arm the track, there is no input.

Setup: guitar volume max'd, 1/4" cable to computer, 1/4" to 1/8" stereo plug converter, plugged into computer's 'mic' (line in) jack.

So I thought maybe not enough power is getting to the line, so I pulled out my Boss GT-6 pedalboard (more than ample power) and still cannot register a signal in MC3.

It's as if I don't have anything plugged in.

One note: when the track is armed, I do see some idle 'noise' on the channel and the track record meter registers some motion, but none of it is related to any guitar activity.

Any more insight would be appreciated.

TIA,
    ice
    sjfoote
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 90
    RE: MC3 Newbie Audio Input Setup (help needed) 2006/07/28 08:18:42 (permalink)
    Have you opened the Windows Volume Control and checked the Advanced Tab to make sure you have enabled recording on the "line" in of your soundcard? Right click on the speaker/volume icon in the systray. Open the "audio" tab, then select the Sound recording "volume" button to open the recording control button. When you get there, make sure Line In is selected and the volume is at max.

Let us know what you find....

no better, just older
    Beagle
    RE: MC3 Newbie Audio Input Setup (help needed) 2006/07/28 08:41:23 (permalink)
    well, sjfoote is giving you good advice, but you said you were putting the guitar into the MIC (LINE) input. which is it? MIC or LINE? if your computer has TWO inputs, both MIC and LINE, then you have to amplify your guitar before you put it into the LINE input. I'm not sure what your pedalboard does, but it needs to be an amplifier to get enough signal into the line input to record. if you're using the MIC input, then there's a preamp built into the sound chip on your computer that will allow you to record signals from your guitar (even tho this isn't the best way to do it). but either way you've got to make sure whichever one you're using is NOT MUTED in your sound card mixer and that the volume is up (probably not all the way).

The best way to record your guitar is to use a DI Box so that the impedance is matched correctly going into the sound card. of course, it's also best to use a sound card designed for recording audio - which the on board sound chip in your computer (realtek) is not. you should be able to get this set up to work, but you'll get much better results with a DI box or small mixer and a new sound card.

icetime
    RE: MC3 Newbie Audio Input Setup (help needed) 2006/07/28 11:58:48 (permalink)
    Yes, that was it. Thanks for the tip sjfoote and beagle. I am using the 'mic' input as it turns out. The advanced button only allows for a "mic boost", which I don't, in fact, need. I am getting plenty of signal and will have to turn it down even more when I hook up the pedalboard, which has a pre-amp in it.

I didn't even think to look for the 'record' section of the sound control applet. Once I found it, the record volume was set to 0, so that's why no signal.

Thanks for the help. Now onto other things like getting some drums, voice and bass parts.

One last quick request for advice - should I consider purchasing an Edirol, or similar device, so that I can handle the XLR inputs of my microphone, for example? (i.e. how else to get that input into the computer).

Also, beagle thanks for the tip regarding the sound card. Actually I am just using MC3 to lay down musical 'ideas' for a band. We have an alternate recording studio option for the real deal. So what I have, I think, will have sufficient fidelity to just communicate my musical ideas (I hope). If you still think there's an issue, then please let me know. I am running on a notebook and not a desktop. If I were to have to purchase a sound card, I'm guessing that a desktop would be the best environment for that.

I'm learning...

Thanks again all,
    ice
    sjfoote
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 90
    RE: MC3 Newbie Audio Input Setup (help needed) 2006/07/28 13:14:17 (permalink)
    Musician's Friend sells a 2 channel Behringer mixer ($39.99) that will accept your XLR cable and give you several output options, including RCA connectors. All you need then is an RCA to 1/8" cable and you're set. You can use the mixer for your guitar and keyboards too....

no better, just older
    Beagle
    RE: MC3 Newbie Audio Input Setup (help needed) 2006/07/28 13:19:45 (permalink)
    If I were to have to purchase a sound card, I'm guessing that a desktop would be the best environment for that.
    Not necessarily. A laptop can provide a great environment for DAW, but the choices of sound devices are much more limited. I don't know what model you are talking about for the EDirol for your mic inputs, but yes, you'd probably want to get a good preamp for your mic - and for quality recording - you'd want a Condenser mic (LD for vocal) and that requires phantom power.

for lappy - choices are USB or PCMCIA (possibly firewire, but most laps don't come with firewire unless it's an apple). PCMCIA sound cards are expensive, but really good! the EMU 1616M comes with a breakout box that has mic inputs and phantom power...sweet! But it costs around $500, I think (maybe more).

USB devices can be OK - go for the USB 2.0 if you can afford it, but there aren't that many actual USB 2.0 devices available.

make sure you get something that has 24bit A/D conversion (most do these days, but not all) - and soundblasters will work, but I wouldn't spend money on them if you plan to spend money on recording. they're designed for gaming, not recording.

most usb devices come with a preamp and a lot of them have phantom power and several have MIDI I/O available for you to connect a keyboard or drum machine up.

icetime
    RE: MC3 Newbie Audio Input Setup (help needed) 2006/07/28 13:32:35 (permalink)
    Thanks guys for the advice. I will shop carefully. I appreciate the help in getting me up and running.

Take care,
    ice

p.s. I'll be back here on another topic down the road, I'm sure. Tks again!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1