Vocals Issues: Levels and hiss

Author
Jonny M
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 127
2006/07/26 20:22:31 (permalink)

Vocals Issues: Levels and hiss

Not sure of this is possible, but may as well give it a shot....

I know I need a mic pre-amp, before anyone says it, but since I've just bought a new guitar I am in the "saving up for one" stage. So at the moment my mic goes straight into the mic input on my soundcard (Edirol DA-2496) and I have to try and find another workaround for the time-being, if there is one!

My problem, as you probably guessed from the above is that I get a lot of signal noise (similar to the atmospheric hum of being in an aeroplane, with a bit of "sshh" thrown in). The only way to prevent this at the moment is to reduce the input gain on the soundcard incredibly low, set the trim on Sonar to -INF and use the -10db and low-pass switches on my mic.

Whilst this means I get the illusion of a clean vocal recording, the track volume is ridiculously quiet (almost like I was singing it from a different room!). To get it to a workable level, I have to normalise the track and then tun the volume meter up to the full 6.

Although this deals with the volume level (to a degree), it really scuppers my ability to add vocal compression or other effects, and even the audio equivalet of a dwarf would struggle with the headroom it leaves (geddit?).

Is there anything I can do, or will I have to just sit here crying into my coffee until I can afford a mic pre-amp?

Jonny

19 Replies Related Threads

Thomas Campitelli
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 598
    RE: Vocals Issues: Levels and hiss 2006/07/27 00:19:20 (permalink)
    I just looked up your audio interface and it appears to have two mic pres on it. Is this your correct interface:

If so, the hiss is probably coming from somewhere else. What kind of mic are you using, where are you plugging it in, and what kind of cord are you using to connect to the interface?

Thomas Campitelli
    http://www.crysknifeband.com
    Jonny M
    RE: Vocals Issues: Levels and hiss 2006/07/27 03:34:37 (permalink)
    I'm using an AT40-35 condensor mic with a normal mic lead running straight into the sound card (i.e no other device between the mic and the soundcard). It's a phantom-powered one so I have to click on the phantom power switch on the mic input on the card (the first little switch you see on the left after the first knob).
    krizrox
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4046
    RE: Vocals Issues: Levels and hiss 2006/07/27 15:16:51 (permalink)
    You keep calling it a "sound card" but in reality, you are talking about the interface box that attaches to the sound card right? I can't imagine why you would be getting hiss or noise from something like that. Usually hiss or noise like you described is the result of impedence mismatching or ground loop or bad cable or gear. Does the mic sound OK plugged into something else (like a normal mixer)? If so, it's not the mic. Try a troubleshooting route that starts at the front of the signal chain and systematically eliminate the known good stuff. What remains is the culprit (usually).

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com
    www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    mlockett
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2099
    RE: Vocals Issues: Levels and hiss 2006/07/27 15:28:40 (permalink)
    If the levels are up and you record withoutthe mic, do you still get the noise you're reffering to? If so, you probably have and electrical problem or sound card problem.

Do you have any mic's you can swap out temporarily? (Try to see if the noise is from the mic itself.)

Also, you might try moving the mic around the room, pointing it in different directions, to see if there are some spots where the noise is louder than others. Often, the way that air moves thru a room (especially w/ AC/Heating) is not very audible to the human ear, but the pressure against the diaphram of a mic can produce serrious noise.
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Vocals Issues: Levels and hiss 2006/07/27 15:28:45 (permalink)
    It's hard to know for sure what gain stage the noise is from without some know good gear to do process of elimination with. But my first guess would be the mic preamps in the DA-2496 are adding the noise. It's rare that a modern microphone would hiss unless it's just defective and even if it were the mic you would get it at all levels. Here are some things to check.

If the DA-2496 has a software mixer that lets you set the level of each input make sure it's up all the way (assuming it's not the problem) so you get the most signal you can with the least amount of preamp gain (hardware knob). If the hiss goes up try the other way around, turn the input gain down some and turn up the mic preamp knob.

If the DA-2496 has inserts on the mic channels and you have a hardware compressor or any quality outboard gear with a gain control try using that as a "makeup gain" control to boot the level after the preamp to keep the preamp gain knob down in the cleaner area.

Also, make sure all other inputs are muted !! You may be getting bleed from other channels, if the DA-2496 has a software mixer use that to turn all other inputs all the way down except your mic and the playback from the computer.

Find and learn how to work every gain stage you have between the mic and the software driver and see if you can find out where most of the noise comes from.

Can you borrow a mixer or mic preamp from someone to try so you can bypass the mic preamp in the DA-2496 and go direct line in ?
    fooman
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1382
    RE: Vocals Issues: Levels and hiss 2006/07/28 08:06:02 (permalink)
    I agree with the above that it's the pre's you are using in the interface. It sounds like a description of preamp hiss to me.
    Can you tell us what level in the sequencer the tracks are being recorded at? -18dbfs is normally a good level, although some people would say "man, that's too quiet!"
    Can you tell us any relative settings you are using? Preamp trim and whatnot.

Anyways, try another mic that doesn't need phantom power. Maybe it's the phantom power.
    Try another cable. Try the other pre in the interface.
    Do you have a mixer at all? If so, use a preamp in that mixer and run a line-out to the interface.
    Jonny M
    RE: Vocals Issues: Levels and hiss 2006/07/28 08:36:26 (permalink)
    I tried recording with another mic (a Shure Beta 36). The background 'areoplane atmosphere' noise with that one is even worse. Both mics are very sensitive to any noise (it can even pick up people talking downstairs better (and sharper) than my own ears.

I'm thinking it's a combination of the room and the Interface. Althought I record only a few feet away from my Carillon PC, it has a zero noise fan. Even so, when trying to pay careful attention to the noise sound, it was similar to that of a computer fan or travelling in an aeroplane (eg. airy with a highish pitched "iiiiiiiii" sound) you experience when flying

As for recording levels, I set the Trim to -INF and the Volume stays at 0. The mic has the low-pass and the -10bd selected.

Maybe I should try a low-pass filter on the recording and a noise gate?
    Jonny M
    RE: Vocals Issues: Levels and hiss 2006/07/28 08:58:10 (permalink)
    On the above note I made on trying a noise gate, I've tried this (one of the plugins). It was fine when no vocals were present, in that it stopped the atmospherics, but naturally the moment the vocals came in and the gate opened, the noise came with it.
    fooman
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1382
    RE: Vocals Issues: Levels and hiss 2006/07/28 11:10:14 (permalink)
    Man, I think ur trim is up a LOT on your interface... because if you can hear ppl wlaking around in another room and your PC fan then maybe you have it a tad too high. It definately sounds like it's the preamp level on the interface.

When you record the vocals, what level does the track peak at (or stay around) when playing back JUST the vocal the track you just recorded?
    Jonny M
    RE: Vocals Issues: Levels and hiss 2006/07/28 12:43:55 (permalink)
    Man, I think ur trim is up a LOT on your interface... because if you can hear ppl wlaking around in another room and your PC fan then maybe you have it a tad too high. It definately sounds like it's the preamp level on the interface.

When you record the vocals, what level does the track peak at (or stay around) when playing back JUST the vocal the track you just recorded?

The trim is set as low as possible on Sonar (-INF) and the mic on my DA-2496 is also about as anti-clockwise as it can go. The mic is also switched to -10db itself with a low-pass filter. When playing back the track, it's not even at 50% - I have to increase the volume to +6 (all the way to the right) for it to be loud enough to work with.

As stated earlier, I can move the trim back up to around -12 in playback before the background noise starts to be audible, but that's not much good because it will still be affected in when I use compression etc. I want to be able to record with absolute silence on the background side of things (black noise?) so that the vocal is literally the only thing picked up.
    Jonny M
    RE: Vocals Issues: Levels and hiss 2006/07/28 13:47:35 (permalink)
    YAY I've done it!!

Ok, I don't know why this works but if someone else may know....

If you look at the diagram (above) you'll see two mic inserts, each with a preamp. I thought that the one on the left was the only one the phantom power worked in because it was next to that knob, and a Pad24db switch was next to the second input. But I just plugged the mic into input 2 and with the phantom power on it worked - and picked up NO background noise even when the gain level was over half-way up!

So I don't know if that means either inputs 1 and 2 are both designed for different impedences (like 1 for low-noise devices and 2 for high) or if it's just that Input 1 is buggered. I do remember putting a stage mic (Shure Beta 36) in that one once and accidentally hitting the Phantom power switch (God knows how) and maybe I overdrove the input signal to permanent-damage point.

Either way the most important thing is that after your input and a bit of fiddling it's working. All I have to do now is try and play the instruments with a level of proficiency and I'm sorted!
    Jonny M
    RE: Vocals Issues: Levels and hiss 2006/07/28 14:01:36 (permalink)
    Quote from DA-2496 manual: "You risk causing damage if you mistakenly supply phantom power to dynamic microphones...". Oops. Maybe that's what done it.
    ohhey
    RE: Vocals Issues: Levels and hiss 2006/07/28 14:54:29 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Jonny M

Quote from DA-2496 manual: "You risk causing damage if you mistakenly supply phantom power to dynamic microphones...". Oops. Maybe that's what done it.

No, the Audio-Technica AT3035 Microphone is not a dynamic mic, it's a condensor mic and needs phantom power. A modern dynamic mic would not be damaged by phantom power anyway unless there is a short in the cable. The only mics I know of that can be damaged by phantom power are older ribbon microphones like the RCA 44 and 74.
    Jonny M
    RE: Vocals Issues: Levels and hiss 2006/07/28 15:53:22 (permalink)
    Ok this is where I feel stupid (although it does raise a question).

I just discovered that I'm only getting hiss... through my headphones! And when the headphone output volume is quite high. When I did the (now pointless) experiment the headphones were really low. Playing back through my monitor speakers I don't get any background noise on either input! DOH.

Because I work a full time job during the day I generally record in early evening and all my mixing/playback is done at night and sharing a house that means headphones - hence me not discovering this earlier. BUT, I don't understand though how when my headphones are up high, it picks up minute sounds really crisp, including people talking in other rooms - surely they can only 'play' what the mics are picking up? And if the mic's picking it up, how come the moitors aren't playing it?

Or are these frequencies above/below the monitors playback capabilities, which is where high-pass/low-pass filtering and stuff comes in to get rid of them?
    ohhey
    RE: Vocals Issues: Levels and hiss 2006/07/28 16:46:03 (permalink)

Ok this is where I feel stupid (although it does raise a question).

I just discovered that I'm only getting hiss... through my headphones! And when the headphone output volume is quite high. When I did the (now pointless) experiment the headphones were really low. Playing back through my monitor speakers I don't get any background noise on either input! DOH.

Because I work a full time job during the day I generally record in early evening and all my mixing/playback is done at night and sharing a house that means headphones - hence me not discovering this earlier. BUT, I don't understand though how when my headphones are up high, it picks up minute sounds really crisp, including people talking in other rooms - surely they can only 'play' what the mics are picking up? And if the mic's picking it up, how come the moitors aren't playing it?

Or are these frequencies above/below the monitors playback capabilities, which is where high-pass/low-pass filtering and stuff comes in to get rid of them?

I'm not sure I understand what you just said but there are two things to note,.. one if you don't get the hiss with the speakers maybe the headphone amp is just noisy, if you get the hiss even when playing midi stuff or known hiss free audio (like a rip from CD) then that might be it.

You may also be picking up some playback in the headphones.. this won't be hiss but it's not a good thing. Closed back headphones will help this but won't fix a noisy headphone amp. Just like mic preamps headphone amps tend to have the most hiss at the highest volume setting. If you have to crank it up that far to get a good sound level your headphones might just have low output also. The older AKG K240s (600 ohm) were bad about that, since then they have gone to 55 ohm and they are louder.

As for headphones you could get an external headphone amp if that is in fact the problem. Also, a good set of closed phones would be good for tracking. I like the Audio Technica ATH-M40fs for that and they are even flat enough for mixing and editing when you have to use phones.

You do hear things on headphone that you don't hear on monitors, you wouldn't hear it on speakers unless they were good ones and turned up very loud. That's why headphones are good for editing and checking tracks, you can get all the details.

Try setting the gain where you would for vocals on the mic then put it away from sources of noise and just record a blank track like that. Go back and check the track and see how much hiss you have. In fact if you want to do a noise floor test wrap the mic up in a blanket and put it in a box or somthing so it's not picking up much, if you still get hiss you know it's the preamp or some other gain stage. If you get hiss at the headphones even when nothing's playing you have a different problem. Could be a low quality headphone amp or some input you forgot to mute. Remember only the input you are using should be up (hardware and software mixer controls).
    post edited by ohhey - 2006/07/28 17:09:11
    Jonny M
    RE: Vocals Issues: Levels and hiss 2006/07/28 17:08:04 (permalink)
    Closed back headphones will help this but won't fix a noisy headphone amp

I'm guessing it's the headphone amp then because my headphones are closed ones. Seinheisser's. not sure the exact make, but the side has HD25-1 and there's a number 70 next to a an upside-down horseshoe type symbol. Sorry - once I've taken stuff out of the box I put the boxes in the loft/attic and forget the exact makes unless it's written on them.

When I'm wearing the headphones befoe switching anything on, I can't even hear if someone else in the room is talking, but if I turn on the 'input echo' on the sonar track, I can hear people talking in the next room through them if the volume goes over 1/4 of the way round.
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: Vocals Issues: Levels and hiss 2006/07/28 19:49:23 (permalink)

Closed back headphones will help this but won't fix a noisy headphone amp

I'm guessing it's the headphone amp then because my headphones are closed ones. Seinheisser's. not sure the exact make, but the side has HD25-1 and there's a number 70 next to a an upside-down horseshoe type symbol. Sorry - once I've taken stuff out of the box I put the boxes in the loft/attic and forget the exact makes unless it's written on them.

When I'm wearing the headphones befoe switching anything on, I can't even hear if someone else in the room is talking, but if I turn on the 'input echo' on the sonar track, I can hear people talking in the next room through them if the volume goes over 1/4 of the way round.

the horseshoe thing is ohms, so you're working with 70ohm headphones. i have a pair of sennheisers, hd 280 pro's which are 64ohm.

if you can hear people talking in the next room then something might be turned up way too high. if you snap your fingers into the mic, is it incredibly loud? all mics will pick up hiss of some kind, i get audible hiss when i crank the record volume (so i can hear myself in the headphones) and my noise floor is around -70 to -75db with a mic so maybe it's as simple as that.

the proof is in the recording though. if you don't hear the hiss in the recording (on the speakers) then that should help isolate the problem.

- jack the ex-cynic
    Jonny M
    RE: Vocals Issues: Levels and hiss 2006/07/28 20:13:54 (permalink)
    Yep, definately the headphones up too high.

I hit record and let it just run for about 20 seconds ot doing anything (i.e. recorded silence). When I played it back, with the headphones up relatively loud then the moment the audio track started it was like when you switch on a guitar amp up loud before you plug in the guitar (just speaker noise). Then I took the headphones off and turned on the nearfiled monitors and got nothing, even when I turned the monitors up a little.

At least now I know I can get a hotter signal for my vocals now and won't have to use the cursed normalize on them all the time.
    Greenbrain
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 52
    RE: Vocals Issues: Levels and hiss 2006/08/01 12:34:34 (permalink)
    The very first thing you need to do is make sure you have shielded, balanced microphone cables. Of course your guitar cable should also be shielded.
    This can often be a source of noise.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1