tracking, mixing, and mastering concepts

Author
Jonny M
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 127
2006/07/27 08:36:35 (permalink)

tracking, mixing, and mastering concepts

Hi! I'm a newbie to learning how to mix/master etc and am wondering how people generally work on their projects.

Could someone explain a little what you would generally expect to do in each of the tracking, mixing, and mastering stage. At the moment, I'm sort of all over the place, expecting to do everything at once, resulting in me destroying most material. I want to learn the patience needed when producing, and splitting into stages, concentrating on one at a time will probably do me the world of good.

Cheers,

Jonny

14 Replies Related Threads

johndale
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3228
    RE: tracking, mixing, and mastering concepts 2006/07/27 09:15:09 (permalink)
    Do a search, there was just a big thread on that subject with great advice..................
    yep
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4057
    RE: tracking, mixing, and mastering concepts 2006/07/27 11:39:58 (permalink)
    It's pretty simple really.

Tracking: The recording engineer sets up mics and record the musicians, using mic placement and selection to achieve the most accurate and/or flattering reproduction.

Mixing: The mix engineer mixes the several tracks together to a single stereo (or surround) output, applying effects and additional processing as necessary to individual tracks or groups of tracks to make the tracks sound pleasing and balanced together, so that the material and performance is presented in the most accurate or flattering way.

Mastering: A mastering engineer takes the final stereo or surround mix and formats it to the "master" copy from which the duplicates will be made, checking the file and the master copy carefully for correct formatting and adherence to the appropriate standards and tolerances for the target file format.

Cheers.
    post edited by yep - 2006/07/27 11:52:12
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: tracking, mixing, and mastering concepts 2006/07/27 12:18:38 (permalink)
    Those processes were invented before DAW systems existed back in the days when all studios were analog and very little automation existed. The mix ended up being a one of a kind work of art that could not be repeated so if you even got "close" to what you wanted every effort was made to make a bad mix work may applying all kinds of processing to the stereo (or mono) output of the mix. This process of fixing a imperfect mix became known as "mastering".

Today those terms still exist in the industry but have taken on new meanings in the DAW age. Because adjusting and repeating a mix is no longer impossible (in fact, dirt simple) the idea of fixing the first mix in mastering at all cost no longer makes sense. Mastering should not be difficult or result in huge changes to the mix, the mix (export from Sonar for example) should be very close to the final product with only very minor tweaks and edits needed. This takes all the guess work out of trying to make a mix that will still sound like you want it to after mastering. This also means all the skill and monitoring requirements have been pushed back to the mix engineer.
    Jonny M
    RE: tracking, mixing, and mastering concepts 2006/07/27 12:47:57 (permalink)
    So would I be right in thinking that once you've recorded the tracks, you'd probably do the following:

1) Get a good balance between with all of the tracks with regards to pan/volume etc.

2) Apply any processing to individual tracks to get them sounding as good as you can within the mix (running the effects through the effects bin or to a bus so you don't touch alter the original recordings in case of a muck up down the line).

3) Make any further adjustments to the balance so compensate for anything that was slightly 'thrown off' after changing the tracks.

4) Mix all the tracks down to a single stereo track, which would be your pre-master.

5) If burning to CD with other projects, apply any tweaking of the pre-master so it's balanced with the other tracks.

If that's right, when would you apply anything like multi-band compression or multiband EQing which I've seen people refer to? Is it when you're going to make a CD, or would you do it to tweak the pre-master? This bit confuses me because if you did 1-3 properly, you wouldn't need to do any more tweaking(?)
    ohhey
    RE: tracking, mixing, and mastering concepts 2006/07/27 13:47:16 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Jonny M

So would I be right in thinking that once you've recorded the tracks, you'd probably do the following:

1) Get a good balance between with all of the tracks with regards to pan/volume etc.

2) Apply any processing to individual tracks to get them sounding as good as you can within the mix (running the effects through the effects bin or to a bus so you don't touch alter the original recordings in case of a muck up down the line).

3) Make any further adjustments to the balance so compensate for anything that was slightly 'thrown off' after changing the tracks.

4) Mix all the tracks down to a single stereo track, which would be your pre-master.

5) If burning to CD with other projects, apply any tweaking of the pre-master so it's balanced with the other tracks.

If that's right, when would you apply anything like multi-band compression or multiband EQing which I've seen people refer to? Is it when you're going to make a CD, or would you do it to tweak the pre-master? This bit confuses me because if you did 1-3 properly, you wouldn't need to do any more tweaking(?)

It's not as easy as "knowning what to do". You have to work at it and develop an ear for when it sounds right. This is complicated by the fact that most studio monitors sound nothing like a car stereo so your first few tries will be just trying to figure out how mixes done with your monitor setup translate to the outside world. You will need to test the mix on earbuds, car stereos, any stereo you can find to try and determine what your monitors do to the sound. For example some monitors are soft sounding and you may think you have the mids and highs just right but when you get it to the car it sounds tin can bright. On the other hand most speakers that sound fairly good loud have very little bass at low levels so the mix you thought was perfect has way too much low end and just sounds like mud in the car or on a cheap stereo designed to have bass at low volume. Digital recording captures a lot of low end anyway and some of it may have to go on each track so they don't swamp the mix.

One thing you can do to help calibrate your ear to the monitors you have is to rip a copy of a hit song that you think sounds like you want your music to sound like and that sounds good on many stereos. Use that to A/B compare to your mixes on the same speakers and try to hear what is different. Are you getting close or worse ? How much real low end is there in the reference recording ? What does the wavform look like compared to yours ?

Sorry, I wish I could just tell you what to do but it would be of little value. You have to learn this the hard way and getting it wrong a few times is just as important as getting it right, you need to know what wrong sounds like and trace it back to the root cause in your tracks.
    Jonny M
    RE: tracking, mixing, and mastering concepts 2006/07/27 14:33:48 (permalink)
    Thanks ohhey. I think I'll do what you suggested and get a the song whose sound/feeling my current one is trying to capture and compare how they sound on my monitors as a guide - cool tip, thanks!

I think what I was getting at with the question wasn't so much as a recipe for the perfect production, but just a general idea to give me some sort of discipline when I'm recording/producing - when to do things, when to leave alone for the time being etc.

At the moment I'm pretty all over the place and will sometimes find myself tinkering with a track before I've even recorded all the parts.
    krizrox
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4046
    RE: tracking, mixing, and mastering concepts 2006/07/27 14:39:00 (permalink)
    Everyone that replied already had something important and good to say. Yes this has been convered to death around here and yet, it never seems to hurt to see what new stuff comes up when the question arises (over and over)

I have seen some really excellent books and videos out on the market lately which cover these exact issues - and more. Trying to get a lot of meaningful information from these forums is sometimes difficult and ultimately, probably... impossible to do with the correct amount of details needed to make life decisions. About the best you can hope for is that we point you in the right direction - I think - and let you make your own mistakes and successes. There is no one right answer or opinion. At some point you need to "try everything" and see what works for you and what doesn't.

I like to approach mixing in such a way that I take care of the drums and bass first. I guess I think of a song as a house and the drums and bass as the foundation. Without a solid foundation, the house will collapse. It doesn't make sense to build a house from thr roof down. And it doesn't make sense to build a song like that either (my opinion- just my opinion). So I say deal with the drums first. Literally comb through each and every track of audio from start to finish. Yes. This takes time. Fix what needs fixin'. Start with the kick. Then add in the snare and hi hat (the three main timekeeping elements of a normal drumset). If you're kick snare and hi hat are happenin', then add in the toms and overheads and whatever else ya got. I usually try to gate tracks as much as possible to remove bleed from the other instruments.

Then add in the bass guitar to make sure the bass and kick aren't interfering with each other. Then the guitars, keyboards and finally the vocals (I always save those for last but that's just me). This should get you in the ballpark. Then you can go in and start fine-tuning things. Frank's suggestion about using commercial songs for reference is a well-healed idea that will get you to clarity a lot quicker than trying to re-create the wheel. The ultimate goal is a cool mix that translates well everywhere.

And again - Frank is right that mixing and mastering almost go hand-in-hand these days. At least for demos and simpler indie projects. The big boys still treat each phase as a separate entity and that makes sense if you're planning on selling millions of copies. I wouldn't probably mix or master my own material if I was out for world domination either. But when you're sitting there in front of your tracks, and you're ready to master, it doesn't make sense to tweak the bass using a mastering plug-in - it makes sense to go back to the original track and tweak it there. That's what I do. I'm not suggesting you shouldn't use the inherent features of a good mastering plug, but I prefer to get it right as early in the process as possible. That mindset has served me well over the years. I think most professional engineers adhere to a similar philosophy. Don't expect your mastering plug to do all the work for you. That's how I see it. I use it just to give the final mix a bit of muscle and shimmer. Again - my opinion - my approach.

Again - seek out some of the excellent reading material on the market these days. Guitar Center has a lot of that on the shelves. So does Borders or those other big guys. And I think Amazon has all that and more. The books usually come with a DVD or CD audio full of examples. Great stuff floating around these days. A lot more than there used to be which is good for everyone. It gets easier the more you do it Have fun!

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com
    www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    yep
    RE: tracking, mixing, and mastering concepts 2006/07/27 14:45:17 (permalink)

Yeah, you've got it about right. There are a million details and substeps to get bogged down in, but you hit the nail on the head, in terms of the overall theory.

You are right to be confused. Here is why people do this:

1. In conventional commercial recording scenarios, the final mix is sent off to a mastering house that makes the glass master discs for CD reproduction and that cuts the disc that vinyl records will be pressed off of, and so on. Very often, the mastering engineer will also take certain steps to make the sound of the final mix a little more friendly to the inferior target medium, and something that will reproduce a little better. Part of this almost invariably involves raising the RMS level of the recording a few dB by reducing the dynamic range slightly, usually in very transparent ways (quieting a sharp transient here or there, and the like).

2. Often, the mastering engineer will get a mix that is either clearly flawed, or that will not reproduce correctly for one reason or another, so they will do some additional processing to improve upon the work of the mixing engineer. For instance, they may be presented with a mix where the bass guitar extends below the level of the mix engineer's nearfield monitors, and the mix engineer never realized that there are really uneven blurts every time the bass plays a low note. This would be a case where some multiband compression or a shelving eq could tidy up the lows quickly and easily, and would work better than sending the mix back to the engineer with the speakers that bottom out at 80 cycles anyway.

3. Sometimes, the mastering engineer may, out of the goodness of her heart, make purely aesthetic changes that the mix engineer should have done but failed to. They may apply a little bit of high quality reverb to add some shimmer and cohesion to a dull, disconnected mix, or they may use a M-S matrix to widen the stereo spread and increase the size of a small soundscape, or they may use some compression or expansion or gain changes to add some impact or excitement to a flat mix, or use sone narrow filters or bandwidth-limited compression to make muffled vocals more articulate, and so on. These kinds of changes are technically "premastering," but a lot of people refer to them as "mastering."

What happens is that, for the above reasons, a "final mix" will often come back from the mastering house on CD sounding even better than it did when it went out as a 96kHz, 24bit wav file. Even if the mastering engineer stopped at step 1 and didn't make any "improvements," those few extra dB they squeezed out of the recording will make the "mastered" version sound better in a side-by-side at the same playback volume. As a result, a lot of people who have been privvy to the commercial recording process are walking around with the belief that "mastering" is a magic process that really pushes good recordings over the top, and they want to know how they can "master" themselves.

Manufacturers of plugins and effects boxes and so on are not lost on this, and they feed the superstition by making special "mastering" devices and effects that are supposed to allow you to take your already perfect mix and just master the hell out of it. In fact, "mastering" your own mixes is actually a pretty silly endeavor, unless you have a glass disc cutting machine.

If you do the mix right, it doesn't need further aesthetic processing. If you didn't do it right, you should go back and fix it in the mix. Either way, there's no benefit to having the same engineer with the same equipment go back and re-process his own best work as a seperate "mastering" stage, and there is essentially zero benefit that he can achieve when he has his "mastering" smock on that he can't do as well or better with the original multitrack mix.

Cheers.
    ohhey
    RE: tracking, mixing, and mastering concepts 2006/07/27 15:05:02 (permalink)

Thanks ohhey. I think I'll do what you suggested and get a the song whose sound/feeling my current one is trying to capture and compare how they sound on my monitors as a guide - cool tip, thanks!

I think what I was getting at with the question wasn't so much as a recipe for the perfect production, but just a general idea to give me some sort of discipline when I'm recording/producing - when to do things, when to leave alone for the time being etc.

At the moment I'm pretty all over the place and will sometimes find myself tinkering with a track before I've even recorded all the parts.

The good news is that it's MUCH easier today then it was in the old analog mixer days. If you need to go back and make a change to a mix it's as easy as opening the project, making the change, and export. In the old days it could take an entire day just to try and get the patching and mixer setting back like you had them and even then it was never exactly the same. No wonder folks didn't want to have to go back and remix they knew how frustrating it was going to be, I used to do mastering back in those days and people were willing to pay any price to have it "fixed". LOL ! "Some times the magic works... some times it doesn't".
    chaz
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2775
    RE: tracking, mixing, and mastering concepts 2006/07/27 22:40:09 (permalink)
    yep,

Post #3 has to be one of the shortest posts I have seen from you.

------

My techniques have been well-documented on the forums. Just do a search and you might find something that can help you somewhere.
    post edited by chaz - 2006/07/28 03:54:40
    yep
    RE: tracking, mixing, and mastering concepts 2006/07/28 00:53:14 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: chaz
    yep,

Post #3 has to be one of the shortest posts I have seen from you.

I try to stick to the interesting questions, you know. Every so often, one comes up that has a quick answer.

As I know you know, a lot of people often want oversimplified answers to complex questions. But oftentimes, people also have overly complex ideas of things that are actually fairly simple.

Cheers.

chaz
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2775
    RE: tracking, mixing, and mastering concepts 2006/07/28 03:44:33 (permalink)
    As I know you know, a lot of people often want oversimplified answers to complex questions. But oftentimes, people also have overly complex ideas of things that are actually fairly simple.

Yes. I could not agree with you more.
    krizrox
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4046
    RE: tracking, mixing, and mastering concepts 2006/07/28 10:32:11 (permalink)
    A musical buddy of mine had aquired Sonar 5 and was wanting to really get his head around the whole concept of tracking and mixing and mastering. He came up with a cool idea that seems to have really paid off for him. I know this is not a new strategy but maybe it's good to mention it.

He took a few Beatles songs, ripped the audio and placed the song on track 1 of an empty project. Then he went about the task of trying to recreate the song as closely as possible. The one song I remember him starting on was A day in the life (or whatever it's called). I thought boy that's an ambitious song to start out with. But within a couple of weeks he had dissected the original to the point that he was able to recreate the song using nothing but a simple Yamaha synth, drum samples, and an eletcric and acoustic guitar. I think he had a single condenser mic he used for the vox and whatever. I was amazed at how closely he got to the original using just simple stuff in his little modest bedroom studio. It turned out to be a good learning exerience for him. He really got his head around eq, effects and panning and all that. It took time but it was time well spent.

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com
    www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    Jonny M
    RE: tracking, mixing, and mastering concepts 2006/07/28 12:48:18 (permalink)
    Thanks guys, some valuable advice and tips for me to get my teeth into. WIll definately import some songs to compare to. After that I guess I just have to lock myself away for a few weeks!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1