Track's Effects Bin or Bus?

Author
Jonny M
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 127
2006/07/28 20:23:40 (permalink)

Track's Effects Bin or Bus?

If I want to apply several effects to specific track, am I better off using the effects bin in that track pane or do people generally send to buses? If I use the effects bin, will it apply the effects in the order top to bottom? I.e. If I first put a reverb in, then insert an EQ, it will first create reverb and then EQ the verb'd sound?

9 Replies Related Threads

Internalized Sun
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 399
    RE: Track's Effects Bin or Bus? 2006/07/30 07:48:29 (permalink)
    Hi Jonny,

A usual reason for using a bus is to share effects across tracks... But it sounds like you want to apply effects for a specific track, and thats what the effects bin is for... as you've already guessed
    Another thing for using busses are as track sends... that is you maintain the original signal and send a copy to a bus - in that way you can apply effects that don't have a "MIX" setting and still be able to retain the original signal.

And you are absolutely right! If you place reverb in the top and EQ below then the reverb comes before the EQ. - The same applies to the effect bins of the busses...
    This example is actually quite often used on track sends where you place the reverb and then the EQ to mold the reverb frequencies to fit the mix without affecting the original signal!

Happy recording
    Dennis P

2+4 ~ 5?!? Why don't I get the math behind DSP programming?!

Windows 10 Pro x64 , i7 980X, 12GB RAM
    Sonar Platinum
    Music made at home with Sonar 5/6/8 Producer and Sonar Platinum Edition at:
    http://soundcloud.com/internalized-sun
    TheFingers
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1669
    RE: Track's Effects Bin or Bus? 2006/08/03 11:46:15 (permalink)
    One of the important differences in where you place your effects, IMO, is if you place them on a bus, you may not freeze the bus. If you place them on the track, you retain the option to freeze. So if I want to apply an effect to just one track, I use the track fx bin. Examples of where I use the bus fx bin: dual mono OH tracks, dual mono guitar tracks for pad guitars, variations of LA compression, reverbs, delays, drum submixes, etc.

1973 "A" neck.

I'd rather be playing Bass:
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Track's Effects Bin or Bus? 2006/08/03 11:53:07 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Jonny M

If I want to apply several effects to specific track, am I better off using the effects bin in that track pane or do people generally send to buses? If I use the effects bin, will it apply the effects in the order top to bottom? I.e. If I first put a reverb in, then insert an EQ, it will first create reverb and then EQ the verb'd sound?

Yes, the effects are top to bottom so if you want to EQ before the reverb then drag the EQ to the top of the list. You would use the track effects bin if you want a different setting on each track. You would use a bus if you want all those tracks to use the same setting, like if you want to use a room reverb to make all the midi drum tracks seem like they are more live.
    mlockett
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2099
    RE: Track's Effects Bin or Bus? 2006/08/03 12:31:46 (permalink)
    Another distinction is in a buss if you have a verb followed by an EQ, you will only be EQing the verb--not the source; in the track bin with verb followed by EQ, you're EQing the source with the verb, so it partly depends on what you're looking for.
    ...wicked
    Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7360
    RE: Track's Effects Bin or Bus? 2006/08/08 13:10:46 (permalink)
    I almost always bus my verbs even if they're not shared at first. I find that it's easier to control the dry/wet with the send control and that once I get a good sound I almost always send something else to the verb as well.

Experimentation is the key. After shuffling them about, you may realize you want the flange sond, but not with the harsh EQ and reverb on it, so you'd use a send to a flange bus instead (or something like that).

===========
    The Fog People
    ===========

Intel i7-4790 
    16GB RAM
    ASUS Z97 
    Roland OctaCapture
    Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
    billions VSTs, some of which work    
    Brett
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 534
    RE: Track's Effects Bin or Bus? 2006/08/10 11:51:41 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: fessorman
    Another thing for using busses are as track sends... that is you maintain the original signal and send a copy to a bus - in that way you can apply effects that don't have a "MIX" setting and still be able to retain the original signal.

That's what I do, I like the idea of sending as much clean signal through as possible. I discovered the power of buses rather late and I tend to over use them. Problem with using a bus that way is getting the overall level of the instrument right can be hard so I create a second bus as a master of that instrument eg,

• track 1 guitar1, send to GTR1 FX bus, output to GTR1 MSTR bus.
    • (tracks 2, 3 etc as various takes are recorded/edited)
    • GTR1 FX bus, has effects, output to GTR1 MSTR bus.
    • GTR1 MSTR bus used to set the over level of the guitar.

Once you've got the balance betweent between wet and dry you use the GTR1 MSTR bus for overall level.

This works well for me, as I might do many takes or edits creating many different tracks of the same instrument and I don't have to create FX for each new track (although track layers (Sonar 5) goes a long way towards not needing so many tracks).
    I often clone a track, mute the original and work on a new version, these new tracks all point to the correct bus and pick up whatever FX they need.

But some effects go on the whole signal, eg distortion so I do

• track 1 guitar1, output to GTR1 GRP bus
    • (tracks 2, 3 etc as various takes are recorded/edited)
    • GTR1 bus, has compression distortion etc, output GTR1 MSTR bus, send to GTR1 FX bus
    • GTR1 FX bus, has chorus reverb, digital delay etc, output GTR1 MSTR bus
    • GTR1 MSTR bus, the master for guitar.

That means you are using 3 buses per track which can get a bit silly but works for me.

Something I learnt from a mixing competition here, is to reuse reverbs. Create a bus with a long reverb and short reverb and send to each as needed.

No right answer of course,
    Brett
    post edited by Brett - 2006/08/10 12:54:04
    John T
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6783
    RE: Track's Effects Bin or Bus? 2006/08/10 12:23:10 (permalink)
    Doesn't it make more sense, when using buses, to have the effect on the bus set to return only wet signal and no dry, and have the send on the original track be post fader?

That way, your send level controls your wet / dry balance, and your original track's fader controls overall volume.

That's the way I do it, although I am wondering if I'm missing a trick here.
    Brett
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 534
    RE: Track's Effects Bin or Bus? 2006/08/10 12:45:49 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: John T

Doesn't it make more sense, when using buses, to have the effect on the bus set to return only wet signal and no dry, and have the send on the original track be post fader?

That way, your send level controls your wet / dry balance, and your original track's fader controls overall volume.

That's the way I do it, although I am wondering if I'm missing a trick here.

That's a good point. I have the send set as pre-fader which is also pre FX bin and mute button.

Brett

...wicked
    Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7360
    RE: Track's Effects Bin or Bus? 2006/08/10 13:14:32 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: John T

Yes, standard practice is have a bus effect be 100% wet. The wet/dry then is accomplished using the send volume.

You may not always want the send to be post fader, depending on what you're going for, but usually it's the best way to do it. Keep in mind that by default Sonar will play non-soloed pre-fader sends when you solo a totally different track, so you might hear something weird when you solo if you set any of your bus sends to pre-fader. This can be changed in aud.ini I believe.

===========
    The Fog People
    ===========

Intel i7-4790 
    16GB RAM
    ASUS Z97 
    Roland OctaCapture
    Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
    billions VSTs, some of which work    
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1