converting tape to CDs

Author
JillB
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18
2006/07/30 00:23:30 (permalink)

converting tape to CDs

As a newby, I have taken the very helpful advice offered in my first post on the equipment for converting LPs to CDs :
http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=815948&mpage=1&key=󇘵

I have got hold of a Juli@ sound card, and the Compact 4 mixer - just over $400

Can anyone please recommend a good casette deck that is fairly easy to find, tha tI can feed into the mixer??

Ae there any special trickl which make this different to recording LPs?

my thanks,

Jill

6 Replies Related Threads

krizrox
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4046
    RE: converting tape to CDs 2006/07/30 13:39:52 (permalink)
    I just bought one not too long ago - A dual-deck Denon model from Sweetwater. They still carry a fine assortment of decks at various price points. I didn't want to spend a lot because I rarely use a cassette deck anymore - but I still needed one for the occasional client. The Denon unit sounds great and was around $300 if I remember correctly. Tascam and Marantz and few other's make $700-$1000 units but I don't think you want to spend that much. You can always check Ebay too.

www.sweetwater.com

good luck!

there are issues with cassette - a lot - hey read the resotration section on my FAQ website - I mention a lot about this subject - might be interesting reading for you especially concerning cassettes.

www.LnLRecording.com

FAQ section - audio restoration
    post edited by krizrox - 2006/07/30 13:52:40

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com
    www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: converting tape to CDs 2006/07/30 22:54:35 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: JillB

As a newby, I have taken the very helpful advice offered in my first post on the equipment for converting LPs to CDs :
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=815948&mpage=1&key=󇘵

I have got hold of a Juli@ sound card, and the Compact 4 mixer - just over $400

Can anyone please recommend a good casette deck that is fairly easy to find, tha tI can feed into the mixer??

Ae there any special trickl which make this different to recording LPs?

Try to find a pro cassette on e-bay and get one with a speed control ! Most tapes don't play in tune they are fast or slow. If you get one with a speed control you can use a normal guitar or chromatic tuner on a long note to nail the pitch. I think Tascam made some but you may find other models also. I used to use an AMR 4 track deck because it had a speed (pitch) control and it played side one of a normal cassette on tracks 1 and 2. The other side came out 3 and 4 backward but I just didn't patch them, then turned the tape over to do the other side. However, it broke a lot so I would get a different one. There were plenty of stereo decks made with a pitch control. Auto azmith or manual azmith would be nice to have also to zero in the heads for the tape you have.

Also, if the dolby doesn't sound just right, try it without and do the noise reduction with a plugin like Ray Gun. Some times the dolby will cause a tone shift cycle if you are not playing the tape on the deck it was made on or if the dolby is not internally calibrated right.

The Tascam CD-A500 is nice it has CD and Cassette in one unit and the cassette has pitch control.
    post edited by ohhey - 2006/07/31 00:17:00
    JillB
    RE: converting tape to CDs 2006/07/31 01:41:42 (permalink)
    This is really valuable information - many thanks, and for the link as well

my thanks,

Jill
    JillB
    RE: converting tape to CDs 2006/07/31 07:40:36 (permalink)
    I am looking at a Denon M14HX or a Denon DRM-510. Are either of these top decks, or just for home recording purposes? Would anyone have any specs on either, especially wow and flutter and THD values?

Which is the better deck, esp for playback.

I would appreciate any sugestions

my thanks,

Jill
    krizrox
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4046
    RE: converting tape to CDs 2006/07/31 09:42:31 (permalink)
    The pitch control is a good idea. I had bought one of those Tascam combo decks a few years ago and sent it back because the freq response topped out at like 12k or something like that. I didn't even take it out of the box. I sent it right back. At the time, Tascam didn't list the spec on their website - if they don't list the spec they have something to hide.

Whatever deck you look at, be sure to check the freq range. Get as close to 20-20k as possible. Most decks seem to top out at around 18k which is probably good enough.

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com
    www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    jayhill
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 578
    RE: converting tape to CDs 2006/07/31 10:46:40 (permalink)
    there are issues with cassette - a lot - hey read the resotration section on my FAQ website - I mention a lot about this subject - might be interesting reading for you especially concerning cassettes.

That's a good read on your website Larry. Thanks for the info.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1