Rapture LFOs

Author
tshear23
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 24
2006/08/03 19:39:15 (permalink)

Rapture LFOs

I apologize in advance if this has been brought up before, but is there any way to have the LFOs in Rapture be free-running? By this I mean, the LFOs run whether there is a note event or not. So, if I had LFO to modulate the filter frequency, and played a sequence, each note would vary in frequency instead of having to sustain the note to hear the effect of the LFO? I hope I'm making sense here... heh I've messed around with it a bit, and can't seem to find the way to do this if it is even possible.

9 Replies Related Threads

awilki01
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 817
    RE: Rapture LFOs 2006/08/03 19:49:39 (permalink)
    Yes, there is a way. It is pretty easy actually.

Under the LFO section, just make sure the LFO is sync'd to host - I used 64 to make it real noticeable and gradual. I did all this under the PITCH section. Now, everytime I hit a key the pitch is different.
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Rapture LFOs 2006/08/03 20:03:41 (permalink)
    Funny: I interpreted the question in the exact opposite way, Adam. One of us will have the proper answer.

You're currently still in Sync mode: am I correct, T? Either click through the Sync options to Off, or left-right click on the Sync setting to switch it to Freq. Now the LFO will re-trigger it's cycle every time that there's a new Note On. Where that re-trigger point will be is determined in the LFO graphic 'widget'. Shift+drag the waveform itself to start the cycle at different phases in the waveform.

Now for your filter frequency example, I'm not sure. Each note in the sequence will trigger the LFO at the same phase point in the waveform. You may get what you're after by trying out the one-Shot mode and Delay adjustment, or reducing Polyphony to 0 to take advantage of legato mode.
    tshear23
    RE: Rapture LFOs 2006/08/04 16:54:42 (permalink)
    Hmm... neither suggestion got me what I was looking for. In both cases, the LFO reset its phase on each keystroke. Basically what I want to do is use the LFO to do automatic filter sweeps on fast, percussive, non-sustained sounds. My Virus does this quite easily, but it seems as if the LFOs in Rapture may not function that way. If that is indeed the case, I'd love to see that change in a future version of Rapture! (As well as a better way of adjusting parameters than just using the mouse or arrow keys... for functions like the LFOs with a range of 1-6000, it takes forever to tune in the correct value... It would be nice to be able to click on a parameter and manually enter the precise value you're after). At any rate, thanks for the help, guys!
    tshear23
    RE: Rapture LFOs 2006/08/04 17:00:31 (permalink)
    BTW, perhaps it IS possible to enter a value manually in the way I wanted, but this does not function in Logic, as hitting any number key calls up saved screensets in Logic.
    lawapa
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: Rapture LFOs 2006/08/04 17:04:21 (permalink)
    If you set the LFO to frequency and to one shot it wil not reset on each note on? And if you set the frequency fast enough it will do the trick?
    tshear23
    RE: Rapture LFOs 2006/08/04 17:06:13 (permalink)
    Sorry for the continous replies to my own post, but I have found a workaround to get the result I wanted and thought I would share in case anyone else was having the same frustration. Simply set your global effect (this can be done to individual elements too for more complex sounds) to LFO filter delay. Be sure to select one of the filter types to activate the filter. Turn both delay values and feedback knobs all the way down to turn that part of the effect off. Set your cutoff and res to taste, and set the LFO frequency and depths to appropriate values. Now set the wet/dry mix to 100% and Bob's your uncle.
    tshear23
    RE: Rapture LFOs 2006/08/04 17:11:32 (permalink)
    Lawapa - Perhaps it is something peculiar to my set up (Mac G5 running LogicPro 7.1), but doing what you suggested does reset the phase for me in one-shot with sync turned off (or ON, for that matter). The filter LFO delay trick will work just fine for me for now, though. Thanks! :)
    tshear23
    RE: Rapture LFOs 2006/08/04 17:24:45 (permalink)
    Ah, I just found the key to why this wasn't working for me... I could indeed get the LFOs to be free-running, but they only do so if the sequencer is actually running. Since I don't normally program sounds with my sequencer playing, this is why I wasn't getting results. *smacks forehead*
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Rapture LFOs 2006/08/04 17:41:34 (permalink)
    The filter LFO delay trick will work just fine for me for now, though.
    Glad you found some solutions, T. I had a hard time reading what you wanted. One thing, though: in that scheme, the delay really isn't out of the mix. It's just very short, and the filter processes the wet (delayed) signal. There's an LFO filter effect that you can try as well.

At first, I thought you wanted an envelope-type of sweep to the filter, triggered by your notes. One-shot LFO will also mimic that behavior, but above & below the Cutoff frequency. I now believe that you were looking for more filter variation for each successive note. Along those lines, I have another suggestion to try.

Open up the MIDI Matrix, and assign Velocity as the source for two separate slots. In one, use F1 Cutoff LFO Depth 1 as a destination, with a hefty amount of depth. In the other, use F1 Cutoff LFO Freq 1 as a destination, with a very small amount of depth. In the Cut1 LFO itself, you can leave the depth and Freq at 0.00. Just one more route to try out.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1