Running keyboards & drum machines through preamps for warmth??

Author
howieizme
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 406
2006/08/04 13:38:50 (permalink)

Running keyboards & drum machines through preamps for warmth??

Does it work?

Mike,

"DAW's make you fat".

3 Replies Related Threads

ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Running keyboards & drum machines through preamps for warmth?? 2006/08/04 14:26:53 (permalink)
    Maybe if it's a preamp with tubes and output transformers or just a dull sounding preamp. Unless it has a line level input the hard part will be getting the signal down to mic level to get it into the preamp, what ever box (reamp, reverse DI, etc) you use to do that might make more of a "change" in the tone then anything.

I think you would be better off trying to find a plugin desigend for that.
    Tangomann
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 35
    RE: Running keyboards & drum machines through preamps for warmth?? 2006/08/05 02:21:20 (permalink)
    Why not If you have a good preamp. Some people use a plugin afterwards that emulates a tube preamp. Imagine. Just make sure that it's worth it for you since the more signal paths your audio goes through, the more noise is added. Personally, in your example, I would leave out the keyboard, but I would record all the drums through a tube preamp.
    Hope this helps...
    zungle
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2745
    RE: Running keyboards & drum machines through preamps for warmth?? 2006/08/05 03:00:00 (permalink)
    It can work.

The thing is most home engineers think anything that says" tube" equates to warmth.

Not true. Tubes each have their own voice one could be bright and clean, another bright and fizzy. Some warm and round, some warm and muddy. Most tube pre's are not all tube, but a combination of solid state with some type of tube pre-amp interjection.

This link has some basic tonal pre-amp tube descriptions. Click on tube for summary. Mullards are good for warmth and clarity.
    The owner is a cool guy and has been helpful when I've bought tubes for re-tubing.(guitar amps and compressor,EQ, and mic pre's)Also a great place to buy guitar speakers.

http://www.svvintageamps.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=23_31

Like Oh Hey mentioned....I have been getting good results in the warmth dept. using a combination of EQ plugins with Tube modeled plug ins. Most of the tube plugins haven't excactly rocked my world. An inexpensive place to start there is..... Cakewalk Tape sim and Posihfopit EQ in Analog mode.

Heres a few pre-Amp type plugins you can try for free
    http://www.mcrow.net/Preamp%20Emulator%20VST.htm
    http://hem.bredband.net/tbtaudio/
    I'm not into free plug ins but these 2 are as good or better than alot of pay for use stuff. Combine them with a good EQ for best results.

Good luck, rock on.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1