notes too low, for Dim pro?

Author
APC3
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1228
2006/08/05 12:26:26 (permalink)

notes too low, for Dim pro?

I'm a poet, and didn't know it

So, I have Guitar pro 5, It's a tablature/notation program that plays the tab through midi. when I export a song as midi and open it in Sonar, all is well. I insert individual Dim. pro audio and midi tracks for each midi track and drag each GP5 track into a Dim. Pro one, everything always goes well, except that there are always 1 or 2 bass notes that are too low, I would like to use one of the real basses in Dim. Pro, but there is always a note or two that are cut out, because they're simply too low. When I use my midi keys, the notes only go as low as maybe a low D note, then nothing the rest of the keys below that. Is there a way to get lower sounds using a "real bass". I really love the mesa/warick prog. in the expansion set. Anyways all the piano, strings, synths, and drums always come out fine doing this, only problem is with the bass, please help......

Just a thought, is this because all the samples are recorded using a 4 string bass, and I'm simply going to have to deal with that, and if so is there a prog. with a 5 string.........

3 Replies Related Threads

René
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: notes too low, for Dim pro? 2006/08/05 15:59:03 (permalink)
    Hello APC3,

Thanks. Actually, the Mesa/Warwick should have the 5-string bass range already, it should go well down to Bb.
    In most cases, I decided to preserve the original note-range of the instrument recorded, or with a very 'slight' expansion; the rationale was to "guide" the user to keep the scores within-range, avoiding the munchkinization effects which happen when you stretch a sample too much.

However, there's a very easy way you can have those missing low notes in any bass, or other instrument. It only takes a very small edit on a text file. You can do it using any text editor.

1- Let's do it for your preferred bass, the mesa-warwick. If you look at element 1 in that patch, you'll see that it uses a multisample called "Fingered Bass II.sfz". So the first step is locating it. It lives in your \Multisamples\13 - Electric Basses\ folder, in the folder where you decided to locate the multisamples.

2- Open the file. If you don't have anything associated to .sfz, pick Notepad from the list. It looks as follows:

... header here...
    <region> sample=Fingered Bass II\Jb1c_fng_med_D1_05.wav key=d2 lokey=bb1 tune=-9
    <region> sample=Fingered Bass II\Jb1c_fng_med_E1_01.wav key=e2 lokey=d#2 hikey=f2 tune=1

3- Just replace the "lokey=" in the first line with "lokey=0". That way, the bass will play in the lowest note.

You can apply this same trick to any bass or other instrument you want to 'expand' the range. Hope this helps.

-René

APC3
    RE: notes too low, for Dim pro? 2006/08/05 20:20:49 (permalink)
    Thank you so much, I will do as you've said. And I completely understand why the instruments are kept within their actual range, keeping everything as real as possible. Dim. Pro blows me away everytime I fire it up, it's been a huge inspiration and am very greatful for you hard workers putting this together.
    APC3
    RE: notes too low, for Dim pro? 2006/08/05 20:29:43 (permalink)
    guess I need to get my notes right, it was a A and G# I was after, thanks again Rene, notepad alteration worked like a charm.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1