How do you get an external KB to work w/ Dimension Pro?

Author
eugiebaange
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12
2006/08/05 16:17:25 (permalink)

How do you get an external KB to work w/ Dimension Pro?

I've read the manual. I've searched this forum. I've asked people.
Maybe the answer is right there and I don't see it (I'm gonna go play with some more) but I'm stumped

I'm running Digital Performer 4.61 on a G5 under OSX Tiger
I just got Dimension Pro up (what a long painful install!)

I have an old Kawai K1 (don't laugh)... how the heck do I get it to trigger Dimension Pro?
Cakewalk says it's best used with an external controller -and I absolutely agree- but how you do that exactly sure ain't obvious.

BTW, props to Cakewalk for finally recognizing the Mac world!

Help?

TIA
post edited by eugiebaange - 2006/08/05 18:58:25

10 Replies Related Threads

eugiebaange
    RE: How do you get an external KB to work w/ Dimension Pro? 2006/08/06 03:32:29 (permalink)
    OK, never mind. Looks like no one has figured this one out yet.
    Guess it's too early to find a lot of expertise with this product
    Anyway, I did find a way. Seems kludgy as all get out but it works.

Thanks
    dougsyo
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 209
    RE: How do you get an external KB to work w/ Dimension Pro? 2006/08/06 07:24:26 (permalink)
    I'd have helped, but I don't have a Mac, and if I had a Mac I'd probably be using Logic or Cubase, not Digital Performer (only because of lack of familiarity with it).

That said, I would imagine you would use it the same way as you would trigger any other synth in DP. There's nothing special about DimPro in this respect.

If you're strictly playing live (performing, leisurely playing, etc) without recording there may be other hosts that can do this more elegantly For example, on Windows, there's Minihost, Cantabile, Phrazor, Forte, and EnergyXT - I'm not sure what the choices on a Mac are - Bidule?

Doug

Logic is a pretty flower that smells bad.
    For a good time click http://www.belindabedekovic.com/video_fl_en.htm
    eugiebaange
    RE: How do you get an external KB to work w/ Dimension Pro? 2006/08/06 11:35:36 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply!
    Out of curiousity, how *do* you set it up for anything else?
    As I said, the way I found is pretty kludgy and if there's a better way, I'm interested.

Thanks
    fac
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2427
    RE: How do you get an external KB to work w/ Dimension Pro? 2006/08/06 13:43:31 (permalink)
    I'm assuming you have a MIDI interface for your mac, which is correctly installed hardware and driver-wise, and that the K1's MIDI OUT is connected to one of the inputs in the MIDI interface, right?

Now you just have to find out how to route the MIDI data from the interface to the Dimension track. One usually does this by assigning a MIDI input port to each track or softsynth.

http://facproductions.net

Lots of gear. Not enough time.
    inmazevo
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3276
    RE: How do you get an external KB to work w/ Dimension Pro? 2006/08/06 21:44:09 (permalink)
    Indeed. fac is correct.
    There is nothing special the way Dimension Pro works... it's exactly like any other soft synth. It's not that no one has figured it out, it's that there isn't really anything to figure out that's particular to Dimension Pro.

I don't use Digital Performer either, so I can't tell you how to do it, unfortunately.

I would look in the Digital Performer manual or help regarding how to insert a soft synth and how to route midi to it and how to route audio out of it. Perhaps the Digital Performer forum (I'm assuming there is one) would be a good place as well. Since DP is a Mac app, it's unlikely you'll find a great many people here who use it.

I use Logic Pro on the Mac with Dimension Pro and Rapture, and both plugins run as Audio Units in Logic.
    I use an Edirol PCR-M1 to control my Logic synths, and here's the basic rundown of what I do:

Install Logic Pro & Dimension Pro & Rapture
    Install the drivers for my midi interfaces and controller keyboards
    Start Logic Pro
    Make sure it's configured to recognize my midi and audio interfaces
    Select an audio instrument track (what Logic calls them)
    Set the midi input for the audio instrument track to my Edirol PCR-M1 midi port
    Set the audio output for the audio instrument track to my audio output (Presonus Firebox)
    Set the instrument for the audio instrument track to Dimension Pro or Rapture
    Select a patch/part/sound on Dimension Pro
    Play Keyboard

There should be something similar in Digital Performer.

Good luck,
    - zevo
    post edited by inmazevo - 2006/08/06 21:57:05
    eugiebaange
    RE: How do you get an external KB to work w/ Dimension Pro? 2006/08/07 11:36:25 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated.
    I, too, am beginning to suspect something odd in Digital Performer's set up (or operation) and will pursue it with them.
    Right now I have to add a MIDI track, point it to the K1,
    then add a DimPro track,
    then point the K1's output to the DimPro track.
    When I set the K1 track to record, I hear both the K1's patch nad the selected DimPro track.
    After recording, on playback, I hear just the DimPro track so at that point, all is well.
    There is supposed to be a way -using MIDI patch thru and Auto Channel Select- to just add a DimPro track and set it's input to the K1 but that is not working for me. I don't think. I'm sure the problem lies "between the ears" somewhere.

More as it develops.

Thanks again all!
    inmazevo
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3276
    RE: How do you get an external KB to work w/ Dimension Pro? 2006/08/07 12:00:06 (permalink)
    Do either of these help?

http://www.garritan.com/DP_GPO_tut.html
    http://www.ramp.pdx.edu/tuts/DPRecord.htm

I suspect that if you substitute Dimension Pro for GPO in the first one, it should hook you right up. They're using DP 4.1, but should be similar.

- zevo
    post edited by inmazevo - 2006/08/07 12:12:31
    eugiebaange
    RE: How do you get an external KB to work w/ Dimension Pro? 2006/08/07 15:44:19 (permalink)
    Thanks for the links. Good stuff.
    Can't say much about the second one but the first link pretty much just validates the approach I've already (successfully) taken.
    Good in a way, sucks in another.

I've passed on my question to MOTU to see what they have to say
    I've just discovered Unicornation, a forum dedicated to MOTU users. Let's see what they have to say.

I still say, needing two tracks to get sound out of one is stupid.

When I'm king...
    tshear23
    • Total Posts : 24
    RE: How do you get an external KB to work w/ Dimension Pro? 2006/08/07 16:29:54 (permalink)
    I don't use Digital Performer, so I am not sure of how it works, but in Logic, you don't set up a MIDI track and 'point it to the controller', there are special kind of MIDI tracks called Audio Instruments... Check to see how Performer handles virtual instruments. I could be misunderstanding you, but it sounds like you are selecting the Kawai MIDI track and hoping to trigger the softsynth on another track? Again, I've never used Perfromer, but it would be very odd if that was the way it worked. Usually you just select the softsynth track and if your controller is set up properly, it just plays.
    eugiebaange
    RE: How do you get an external KB to work w/ Dimension Pro? 2006/08/07 16:58:55 (permalink)
    Not hoping to.. it works. But I guess I don't actually need it to be a K1 track.
    More specifically, I just need to create a VI track -which would be DimPro- and a new MIDI track.
    Then I route the MIDI track's output to DimPro. That's it.

I had hoped to just add a DimPro track and set it's input to the K1 but no go.
    It seems silly to me that DimPro doesn't allow you to set a MIDI RCV and TRS channel like any physical MIDI instrument but as long as I can get it to work, I don't much care.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1